“Nice hotel, roomy by NYC standards”
Review of Chambers Hotel

Chambers Hotel
Ranked #151 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice hotel, roomy by NYC standards”
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This is a very pleasant hotel around mid-town. Not the funnest neighborhood in NYC but if you need to be in this area for business or whatnot this is a very good place. The rooms are spacious by NYC standards, with an actual "sitting" area that is not 5 inches from the bed. Service is good, and being connected to Ma Peche restaurant & Milkbar is a bonus.

For the common areas of the hotel, in place of a lobby bar or lounge there is sort of a library on the mezzanine floor which is a nice touch.

The decor of the hotel is nice -- understated & not trendy. Overall a comfortable place.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElevenBus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We both spend a lot of nights in 5 star hotels for work, so when travelling for pleasure, we prefer a more personal experience - but without compromising on quality. All of the staff at Chambers were friendly and we were given a warm welcome by Kevin when we arrived at 10pm. We were offered a complimentary drink at the bar and having ordered a light snack we were given plenty of notice that the kitchen was about to close, in case we wanted anything else.
Sadly we ran out of time and didnt get to eat in the Ma Peche restaurant, which was part of the reason for booking the hotel in the first place (recommended by a friend) so cant comment on the food apart from to say that the squid salad we orderedmin the bar was really good.
The room (King) was a good size with clean minimalistic design, good lighting and a responsive, instant heating system when required. The bathroom had a big and powerful rain shower which and good amenities including proper size bars of soap, good shampoo and hair conditioner, and a proper hair dryer. The bed was really comfortable and despite the fact that we were only on the 4 th floor it was very quiet at night. Notwithstanding the jet lag and waking up early, we both slept really, really well on all 4 nights that we were there and felt very rested each morning. The location is great for uptown being just off 5th Avenue.
We only discovered the deli opposite on the last day but its a great place to pick up breakfast in your pyjamas, otherwise there is a Starbucks within yards too. It was my first visit to NY and to be honest if I were to visit again I would possibly consider looking at midtown hotels next time, just because I preferred that area for bars/stair ants in the evening. But with taxis and the Subway it's no big deal. And Central park and MOMA are minutes away on foot.
Our request for late checkout on the last day was also no problem.
If excellent sleep quailty, a decent shower, and a personal experience are how you measure a hotel then I would definitely recommend Chambers.

Room Tip: King room at the front on floor 4 was great and really quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Adidasfish
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Dear Ms. Adidasfish,

We are certainly pleased you were so pleased and I will pass along your comments gladly. The ability to sleep and be comfortable in a city as busy as New York is paramount in being able to enjoy all it has to offer. I am terrifically glad Chambers was successful on both counts.

The squid salad is my go-to, but I do hope you will be able to return and try all Má Pêche has to offer; there surely is somebody home in the kitchen.

Let me know when next you plan to travel to New York and Chambers, I will be pleased to handle your booking personally.

Kindly,

Reviewed 12 November 2011

From the moment Ty greeted us at the door we felt at home. The staff area very friendly and greeted by name everyone morning and upon our return at night. Great location for exploring the city and for restaurants. Would we come again - yes!

• Stayed November 2011
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for the compliments, I am only too happy in passing them along.

Please do let me know when next you plan to arrive; I will be delighted meeting you and making sure you are well care for once again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2011

My boyfriend and i had out first night in NYC at the Chambers. We wanted to stay Uptown near Central Park and the shopping district. It was a fantastic location. 2 blocks from the park, 1 block from loads of shopping, on the same street as Dean and Deluca, near Moma. It really was very central. I liked the general vibe of the hotel. I loved the design, the staff, the hot shower, the detail. I would definitely recommend this place to a friend. Would i recommend it to my Mum? Hmmm. Its probably a bit edgy for her. But i liked it. The cafe was nice for breaky (Ma Peche) and Momofuku Milk bar is attached (and wow those treats are tasty!). I would stay here again even though i found it expensive (although i think all hotels are about $400 a night so im probably just a bit out of touch). One thing - we had basically no view, so try and request a room with a view if you book and you might be more lucky than we were. (no major complaint though, we were only there for the one night)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennyfury
Dear Ms. Jennyfury,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments, they are greatly appreciated. I am well pleased you enjoyed yourself and rest assured while the design may be quite contemporary our fine staff will make your mother, and anyone else for that matter, feel right at home. We are in the business of making our guests comfortable in ways large and small.

Be sure to let me know when you return to New York and I will make certain you have a room with a view.

Kindly,

geneva
Reviewed 6 November 2011

small boutique hotel with excellent location
I satyed here 4 nights on business trip and was very pleased by the nice, clean and modern rooms and the friendly and helpfull staff.

only negative point for me was the room service, which I tryend out on my last night and had probably one of the worst burgers ever!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Ms Arcobaleno,

While we are , of course, delighted you enjoyed your visit to Chambers, I am surely sorry to hear of your displeasure with your hamburger. Má Pêche has a well deserved reputation of serving stellar food, prepared from the the freshest and choicest ingredients. Momofuku restaurants are known to be among the finest in the city.

I do hope you will contact me when next you are visiting New York as I would be delighted make all your arrangements personally.

Once again, we are all very sorry to hear of your displeasure.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at Chambers Hotel. The staff was friendly and approachable. The service was very personal and the room was beautiful and comfortable. We felt like we are staying in our own apartment, but with all the wonderful amenities. We are especially thankful for all the personal attention that our son received during our stay. We would happily stay there again and would recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and found it to be very quiet in the evening even though our room faced the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SMaxwellTX
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear The Maxwells' of Texas,

Thank you for taking your time in letting us and all of TripAdvisor know of your satisfaction with Chambers. We set out to make it a home away and in a busy city like ours, the respite, we are certain and you seem to agree, is welcome.
Oh, and we love children ( I am given to understand yours is quite stellar).
Surely let me know when you next find yourselves heading our way.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We absolutely love this hotel, it feels like such a quiet hideaway in the middle of the city. We've been here twice on romantic weekends, and although it isn't terribly bright inside, I find the lighting just right. My husband and I are great fans of the decor as well. I have to emphasize how "away" it feels from the bustle of the city, it really does feel private and very quiet and very elegant but just step out your door and you're right in the middle of everything.

Both times, the staff have been very helpful -- I was particularly impressed when I needed to check in and had a conference call starting in literally three minutes, the staff understood and checked me in so quickly I was upstairs with a minute to spare!

I was certainly able to get work done at the desk in the room and found it comfortable, but some might find it a bit too avant garde therefore I don't know if I'd recommend to stay here on a business trip because I think some might want a more traditional desk space for working, but for a romantic weekend in NYC I highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Dear Mrs. and Mr. Pazboston,

Thank your for taking your time in writing such kind words, especially with regard to our fine staff. I am always delighted in passing these along.

When next you decide to weekend in NY, and I hope it is soon, please let me know and I'll be happy to recommend our brightest rooms, the Deluxe Queens: upper floors, 2 sets of windows facing either southeast or southwest and looking over midtown.