All reviewsdrawing roomkit kempfloor to ceiling windowsfirmdale hotelshonesty barsoho areanew yorkluxury boutique hotelquiet streetrestaurant staffdeluxe roomrooms are beautifulfavorite hotel in nycroom service isperfect stayconcierge servicehotel guests
Reviewed May 19, 2018

We were delighted to stay there for 3 nights. Perfect location, excellent breakfast. The staff is really helpful we liked the front office. We hope we will be back soon there. We didn't try the restaurant unfortunately.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank adam b
Reviewed April 28, 2018

Fab hotel if price is no object - even for NYC its very toppy. The public areas are small but charming, the in house cinema a treat and the rooms typical of the chain - delightful if sometimes a bit cramped.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank jwdinaspen
Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

Loved this hotel!! Highly recommend! Rooms had gorgeous decor (exactly like website). Beautiful marble bath. Not huge by any means, but Floor to ceiling windows made room seem significantly larger! Honor bar for wine was available to us. Good restaurant! Comfortable and luxurious!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2018

I’ve just spent ten nights at the Whitby and five nights at the Crosby - the former was outstanding, the latter just “meh”. If you have a choice, go to the Whitby, the team there understands hospitality.

For the Crosby:

Rooms: These are very similar to the Whitby, but the build quality of the building itself seems worse ... you can hear the water running down the pipes from the higher floors, you can hear your toilet refilling through the bathroom wall (door closed), and the aircon/heating fan is either on or off, no auto setting. When the rooms next door or above get cleaned (including pulling up the blinds), you hear it. No such issues at the Whitby.

Restaurant: What a let down. It’s a hip and happening bar, with great drinks, and the food is yummy, but the hostesses are just not on-the-ball:
- At the Whitby most staff remembered my name within a day of arrival. Here it seems they still don’t know that I’m even staying at the hotel five nights later.
- Yesterday evening, there was nobody to seat me, so I milled around at the entrance for a while and eventually grabbed a menu and picked an open table myself.
- Generally, when unsure about a wine, and asking whether one can have a try, it would be customary for the waiter to come with a bottle and pour you enough to taste. Not at the Crosby. There is no trying here, they’ll just put the full glass in front of you.
- Over the course of five days, they tried several times to seat me right next to the wait station, even if other tables were available. I would’ve thought that rejecting the same table or having myself moved once or twice would be enough for people to get the message. Who wants to sit right next to the wait station where they have to clock in orders and rustle around with stuff?
- Once, I specifically pointed at a table that looked like it had just been abandoned and asked to sit there, to which the hostess responded that it was taken. 15 seconds later a waiter appears to clear it - and no, it was not taken. How about just asking your guests whether they have a preference - that’d be the easiest solution, especially after you see the same person repeatedly and know (or should know) that they’re not a walk-in.

Notable exception: Roberto - a great waiter, who saw what happened, saw my discomfort and immediately offered to move me (and overall was very good at making me and other guests feel welcome and comfortable).

Reception: Overall good, albeit not quite as personable as at the Whitby.
Concierge: Did not use concierge services for any bookings. However, I did ask them to bring my luggage down on check-out and later found that my coat bag handle had been torn off. Not a big deal per se, the thing was neither expensive nor very sturdy, but it would have been appropriate for someone to tell me that this had happened.

Summary:
It’s a nice place if you have to stay downtown, but it feels like “just” another boutique hotel ... and for this price you can choose from a few of boutiques. (And, yes, after the Whitby, I expected more). Firmdale prides itself on creating places that feel like home (or perhaps an Uber-pampered home). If you want to get the full experience, then choose the Whitby. The Crosby seems to need to some more management attention.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank Sunrider88
Reviewed March 28, 2018

We stayed at this hotel for 4 days with extended family and enjoyed every minute! The hotel was immaculate, the service impeccable and the location was perfect. I especially appreciated the quiet and calm atmosphere after participating in several frenetic activities in the city. The staff was solicitous without being intrusive. The gorgeous drawing room was a lovely place to connect with family & friends during the day. The rooms were beautifully appointed without being stuffy. I also loved the whimsical artwork throughout the hotel. Lastly, they offer an outstanding brunch!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family