“A Travel Writer's Experience in the Manhattan Suite”

InterContinental New York Times Square
Ranked #173 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, CO
“A Travel Writer's Experience in the Manhattan Suite”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The lobby of this relatively new hotel is colorful and brilliantly contemporary. The front desk is directly in front of a courtyard. In the courtyard grows a metal tree – a man-made piece of organic art. At night, when my family and I headed out the door to experience New York, the lights in the yard played up the colors and made me wonder what was real out there and what was not.

Upon our arrival, the front desk staff greeted me with unusual warmth. Throughout our stay, staff talked to us in a personable on-on-one way rarely seen in hotels. As this was a special trip, a graduation present for our nineteen-year-old son, I especially appreciated each friendly staff member we came across.

THE MANHATTAN SUITE

We didn’t share with our son, Tyler, that we had a spectacular suite. He led our little group into the room and switched on the lights. Had the room been filled with people yelling, “surprise!” he wouldn’t have been more taken aback by this fantastic suite. The skyline expanded from one end of the room collection to the other in floor-to-ceiling windows. Tyler headed straight there to hunt down the Empire State Building. His next stop was his room, a study complete with desktop computer and iHome stereo system with a sofa bed pulled out just for him. After a quick comfort check (the bed passed), he headed to the enormous couch and switched on the giant TV.

My husband and I took time to not the finer details like the gorgeous drapes and plush sculptured carpet. Our room, which could also be a standard room when it is sectioned off of the suite by a locked door, featured a top-quality bed and linens and a long bathroom with soaking tub. We also had our own desktop computer and still more expansive windows.

When everyone was done exploring, we settled into posh robes and ordered Tower Heist on pay-per-view. After the movie, we stuck it out for a bit more and watched a channel previewing the shows currently on and off Broadway as well as other entertainment and dining options in the city. We all agreed it seemed a shame to fall asleep and miss out on a moment of living this life. Just before bed, we noticed the undeniable glow of Times Square out the bedroom window.

BEYOND ROOMS

Should you book the Manhattan suite and still wish to venture beyond your room, Chef Todd English heads the restaurant Ca Va Brasserie. The restaurant is as beautiful and impressive as the rest of the hotel and boasts three separate dining areas. There is also a lounge, a 24-hour fitness center and 10,000 square-feet of meeting and event space.

MY RECOMMENDATION

Tyler’s smile didn’t fade from check-in to check-out. I know he’ll remember this trip for his entire life as will my husband and I. To make some suite memories of your own, I absolutely recommend the Intercontinental near Times Square.

My husband and I have a YouTube channel featuring video reviews of luxury hotels. Take a look! http://www.YouTube.com/TravelbyLori.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lori M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,280)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed here for a night with 2 children and hotel was wonderful. Great location, extremely clean and staff was exceptional - extremely friendly and helpful. Will be coming back often for our family trips into NYC.

michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We've stayed at this hotel 4 times in the past year. It is fairly new and has a luxurious, modern feel...and is in a fabulous location for sightseeing all around the city (44th between 8th and 9th, subway is right on the corner, lots of taxis available). It's easy to get to 5th Ave for shopping, Upper West Side, Soho, etc...just jump on the subway or walk!
The rooms are on the smaller side, but very nice size for NYC. We stayed there with our children (12 & 10) and always get connecting rooms (king connecting to 2 double beds)...most hotels won't guarantee the connecting rooms, but if you call the hotel directly and speak to their on-site reservations, they will hold it for you.
Beds are comfortable, windows do good job of blocking out city noise (it's right in Times Square so would be noisy without soundproofing) decor is very tasteful. Bathrooms are very nicely appointed with good lighting, big mirror, Gilchrist & Soames bath products, great large shower head.
The service is always great, from check in to doormen grabbing a cab. Concierge is very knowledgable and helpful.
Only negative, on this most recent trip, was that although the hotel is 100% non-smoking, we could smell cigarette smoke through the ventilation system on our last day. Seemed like someone was smoking in a nearby room and the smell came through the vents. Called to tell them about it, and they sent security to track down the offenders. First time that was an issue.
Definitely try the in-house restaurant, Ca va, a Todd English production. The food is always amazing (especially the pomme frites!)!
Would give it a 4 1/2 or very good + if possible...it is great and we will definitely stay there again...just can't give it 5 stars when I compare it to The Peninsula, Ritz or other 5 stars I've stayed at before.

Room Tip: call hotel directly to guarantee connecting rooms
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed here 2 nights on business the first week in February. Location is great for Times Square sight seeing. Price is reasonable for the location but it is a pet peeve of mine to pay for internet in nicer hotels. Check in was smooth. Bellmen and staff were very helpful with suggestions and directions. Room was slightly dated but very nice with exceptional shower. I was on street side on 4th floor but street noise was not noticeable to me.

Very nice lobby bar area. Restaurant food is very good but pricey even for NYC. All in all, I enjoyed the stay here and plan to go back with family in early fall for a few days.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank countryguylawrence
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was my 2nd visit to the IC TS so I knew what I was getting. It still looks new and the location is great for Times Square, Broadway, shows and sight seeing.

As an Ambassador member I was upgraded and given a large (for NYC) room on a high floor, facing East so a great view towards Times Square and beyond. The room has all the amenities you need. Lamps with power sockets built in, for example, make it very easy to plug in the many devices I now seem to carry around with me when I travel.

Wifi reception was good, however whilst it was free to me as an ambassador offer, hotels should provide it for free to all.

The bar off the lobby is a great place to sit and people watch, enjoy a few drinks and relax after a long day of walking round Manhattan.

I think my only complaint would be I only got turn down service 50% of the time. Whilst I can do without the curtains being shut, a light being left on, etc, the chocolates they leave are lovely!

Not the cheapest hotel around, but I'll be back next year no doubt.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Chistery
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

There are few (if any) good cheap hotels in NYC. It is worth (in my opinion) paying a little more to have an oasis of calm at the end of a busy day. This is what ICTS provided.

The room was spacious and modern - with everything that one needs. We went for a Skyview room and there was no traffic noise at all - again a big plus after a busy day.

Only gripes a usual things re (no) free wifi and expensive water. Again not a big surprise - just be prepared.

Staff were really friendly and helpful. Concierge gave us good tips for dinner.

Location works well for Broadway (obviously) but a few blocks away if it is 5th Avenue shopping one is after.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a Skyview room if you want to be away from traffic noise etc.
Shanghai
Reviewed 5 April 2012

With a triple aspect view giving close to 240 degree sweep of the New York skyline, our modern, well equipped room was fantastic. This is the only New York hotel I have stayed in where my sleep was not disturbed in the night by the sound of sirens - in fact the loudest noise came from the hard drive of the in-room desktop computer (solved by unplugging it!).

We used the hotel as base for shopping in the Diamond District, and walking around Times Square, 5th Avenue and Central Park. The only taxis we used on our trip were to and from the airport.

Room Tip: Stay in a high floor. Junior Suite provides the Triple Aspect windows