“Just perfect”
Library
Hallway Entry
Garden
Preparing for Halloween
The prettiest tree on the block
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Brussels, Belgium
“Just perfect”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

We had a great stay in A Garden in Chelsea. The appartment Karen offered us was just perfect for a family of four with two teenagers. It was great to go back to a quiet neighbourhood after a day of walking up and down in Manhattan. The area is full of bars, restaurants and shops (one of my favourites, 192 Books just around the corner). The appartment is cosy, very comfortable and well furnished. Karen is a great host and was there to greet us when we arrived and also there to say farewell (she even called a taxi for us). We will certainly go there when we go back. Highly recommended.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The comfort of the appartment and its location
Travelling group: Teenagers
1 Sep 2013
Many many thanks!
Travellin...
London, England
“Home from home in NYC”
Reviewed 27 September 2012 for a stay in September 2012

My partner and I stayed at A garden in Chelsea with our baby for a couple of days in September. The apartment was fabulous, very clean and comfortable - we felt very much at home very quickly. The apartment is very close to the Highline which is an added perk.
Karen is a charming and friendly host, full of hints and tips about the neighbourhood.
We had a great time and would highly recommend

Liked best: Feeling at home
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Young Children
Families with young children
26 Sep 2012
Thanks. Reading this is a bright spot in our very dark house. We are still without power from the storm.
Karen
Annie B
London
“After 30 years of visiting NYC this is the best place I have stayed”
Reviewed 16 July 2012 for a stay in December 2011
person found this review helpful

I have lived in NYC and have returned most years for a holiday since the 1980s. From now on both my mum and I will always stay at the Garden In Chelsea. As a treat for my Mum I arranged a stay in New York in which the first few days were spent at the Wardorf and the rest of the trip downtown in Chelsea. The Wardorf was a disaster and I would NOT recommend but A Garden in Chelsea was a slice of heaven. The internet, TV and list of local amenities etc were all easy to access on arrival and the gift of a fresh pint of milk in the fridge on arrival was SO welcome. The location is great and offers some of the best of NYC. We rented the Studio with garden and the B & B on the first floor. The studio was so cosy and quiet and a real treat to return to after a busy day in a noisy city. Looking out the window on Christmas day to a snow sprinkled garden was lovely. When we first arrived just before Christmas day my Mum already had food poisoning which she got from a museum restaurant. The owners could not have been more helpful, supportive or kind. I am so grateful to them. The relaxing and welcoming ambience of the studio made my mum's experience so much better than it could have been. She said, 'If I could not be in my own bed this is the only other place I would like to be.' The B & B room upstairs I equally recommend. Artistically decorated and very homely.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The Garden and relaxing atmosphere.
Liked least: The steps are a little difficult for older people.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
16 Jul 2012
Annie, thanks so much for writing this. I hope you and you mum are doing well and we hope to see you again in the future. Good luck with the Olympics.

All the best,
Karne
Ermie2
Swanbourne, Australia
“Great property and location”
Reviewed 19 December 2011 for a stay in October 2011
people found this review helpful

This was a fantastic find in New York. Location and facility were both excellent and our hosts, Karen and Paul, could not have been more helpful. Easy walking distance to all the main subway lines, close to the Chelsea Market, great area for walking with the Ji-Line Park at the end of the street, good neighboorhood restaurants of all types - what more could you ask?
Very highly recmmended.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and room with courtyard outside. Ability to self-cater.
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner

Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 25-34
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
raspberry...
Kingston, Canada
“A wonderful, clean, on a quiet quaint, street studio in lovely and close to everything, Chelsea!”
Reviewed 27 August 2011 for a stay in August 2011
person found this review helpful

My Mother and I took the train to New York city for 5 days and stayed in Karen and Paul's lovely basement studio that opens up into their back garden. The studio is quite close to Penn station and was a short taxi ride or walk if you didn't have heavy luggage! The area of this studio is quiet (relative to the rest of NYC), quaint and we felt very safe. If Karen and Paul's place was not available, I would definitely stay in Chelsea again as it is a short subway ride to everything!!
The studio is lovely, with a small kitchen for all your quick meal needs. We had a tea every morning with our breakfast and sat out in the lovely back garden that is quite phenomenal and amazing for NYC! I loved that we each had our own twin beds and the studio was quite roomy with a sitting area. It was nicely renovated and having the owners upstairs gave us peace of mind knowing that if we had any questions, we could ask them.
I would definitely stay here again!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and the cleanliness
Liked least: beds a little firm and need s/p shakers LOL!
Travelling group: Other
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
26 Aug 2011
thanks so much Candice. Hope to see you again.

Best,
Karen
Spiorog
Cork, Ireland
“Bijou base in brownstone”
Reviewed 28 May 2011 for a stay in May 2011
person found this review helpful

I am always nervous when I arrive at holiday accommodation booked on the Internet. Will the reality meet the descriptions and the pictures? In the case of 'A Garden in Chelsea', I need not have worried. Yes it is impossible to absolutely capture the layout of a property in pictures - where the bed is in relation to the eating area etc but I was not disappointed even though it was not exactly as I imagined. Paul met us at the door and showed us the apartment and we had some good chats with Karen during our stay. I could not have come to this city, celebrated in literature, film and song and stayed in an anonymous hotel. Just four nights, not enough time to delve into the wonderful collection of books in the apartment but great authors like Richard Russo, John Irving and Richard Ford jumped out at me. The decor and furnishings and pictures enhanced the feel of the apartment. On a more functional level the shower was great, the bed was comfortable, the kitchenette suitable for light cooking - who has the time for gourmet cooking when in New York and in a neighbourhood packed with great restaurants for every taste and budget. Unfortunately it rained alot during our stay and we were not able to enjoy the Garden until our final evening, but on a longer stay in good weather, what a lovely place to unwind after the sensory overload of the city. There is a good selection of guide books and tourist information leaflets in the apartment. Nights were quiet and restful, any big city noises were distant and barely audible. We did hear footsteps above every so often but that sound was not obtrusive. The subway was nearby but we did manage to walk from Chelsea to most attractions. All in all we enjoyed our stay in 'A Garden in Chelsea'.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Older travelers
Tourists Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$250
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing