New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Best Restaurant I have ever been to” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jean Georges

Jean Georges
Reserve with OpenTable
Jean Georges is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 13,260 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$25 - US$170
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 60th and 61st Streets
Transit: A C, B, D, or 1 line to 59th Street Columbus Circle.
Description: Jean-Georges opened in 1997 to critical acclaim. The jewel of Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s empire, the restaurant offers the very best in fine dining. Consistently awarded four stars by the New York Times and three Michelin stars, Jean-Georges presents exquisitely crafted dishes blending French, American, and Asian influences. The local farmer’s market is the driving force behind the seasonal, ever-changing menu. Chef Jean-Georges is a master at maintaining the essence of ingredients while using them inventively to produce the best flavor. Jean-Georges’ chic and intimate dining room was redesigned by Thomas Juul-Hansen, with striking lighting by L’Observatoire. Impeccable service, tableside preparations, and floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning views of Central Park and Columbus Circle all contribute to an unforgettable dining experience. Jean-Georges offers a three-course prix-fixe menu and two six-course tasting menus: a traditional tasting of the chef’s signature dishes, and a seasonal tasting featuring fresh market ingredients. The prix-fixe and tasting menus are available Monday through Sunday for dinner. The restaurant also offers a two-course lunch menu for a terrific value. Gentleman are required to wear a jacket. No jeans, sweatshirts or sneakers allowed. Tie is not required.
“Best Restaurant I have ever been to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We found this restaurant almost by accident after attending an opera at the Met and this restaurant was within walking distance. We were not familiar with it, but were glad that we found it.
We each shared the tasting menu and had one or two glasses of wine and total check was $360, but I must say it was worth it. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was prompt and unobtrusive. Quiet elegance and to watch the staff work delivering the food to the tables and accomodating customers was a dance to behold in itself. Very well organized and fascinating to watch. They made you feel welcome and special and we would return the next time in New York. Can't eat there every day, but what a treat to have experienced it.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Scotty65Md

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
“One of the best restaurants...anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Such exquisite flavors and presentation...amazing location, setting, and service. The bill reflects it all as well...go on an expense budget...a wine list that will suit the next megamillions winner's budget too!

Visited April 2011
Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable, but not at the top of my list to go back again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

We wandered in off the street after an early set at near by jazz club, looking for a late night snack and another round of cocktails. The staff were friendly and seated us out doors, at our request. One order of the Prix Fix was the perfect size for the 2 of us (usually, ordering 2 of them is way to much food we have found at 3 star Michelins.)

Everything was lovely, the foie gras was the only thing I did not care for. Luke warm and far too fatty, I felt like it was a chunk of butter rather than the delicate liver it should have been.

Cocktails were also fine, nothing special. I'm easily satisfied with most fine dining bars, but very hard to impress. Just... ehh.

The finishing note, the double espresso I had with desert was the best I had in my 3 days in NYC. Trust me, I had a great deal of espresso, trying to find something to suit my fancy. I'd go back for coffee, until I know where else to look for the good stuff. Otherwise, I'm glad I tried it, and the next time I'm in the Big Apple, I'll keep trying different places.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Guayaquil
“Not as expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Had the fixed price menu which consists of four courses, the appetizer and dessert were very good, however the two other courses left a lot to be desired, taking into account the fame of the restaurant. Service was good. Would not go back.

Visited February 2012
New York City, New York
“best deal in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

This is absolutely the best value (particularly at a 3-star restaurant) in town. You can add extra dishes and create a tasting menu for a weekend lunch. Easy place to take out-of-town relatives and friends to impress and wonderful place to just enjoy the fusion cuisine for citydwellers. The dining room is beautiful and airy. The wine list and service are both reasonable.

Visited August 2011