“Great Hotel for Romantic Weekend”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #89 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
austin
“Great Hotel for Romantic Weekend”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This place is fabulous! When we arrived we were immediately greeted with a glass of wine and were upgraded to a loft suite as my boyfriend is a Diamond Hyatt member. We were informed that we would have a $75 credit for breakfast daily AND a $15 credit for beverages. The room was amazing - HUGE! Amazing bathroom and shower, separate sitting area, 2 flat screen TVs and huge windows. The free mini-bar (especially water bottles!) and wifi was a great touch and the breakfast (which is ridiculously overpriced unless you have this free perk) was great to have every morning. The location is perfect - took about 25 minutes (walk) to get to Central Park, Grand Central Terminal (for subway) around the corner, Empire State Building down the street. As we were staying using Hyatt points this was an amazing, 1st-class experience. I do wonder if I would feel the same way if I had to pay the pricey nightly rate....

Room Tip: -We didn't have a view of the library, which I really wish we did, but do mention any status you...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington DC
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Knowing this was a Hyatt property, I thought it would be nice. However, I was surprised to find it great! It's basically Hyatt's answer to the W hotel, and I think they got it very right. The service is noticeably friendly and attentive. The room was great, with the bath and shower being fantastic!! The food, location, and overall quality were excellent. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Louisville
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Check in was smooth... Plus they gave us a wonderful red wine when we checked in. The room was huge with a microwave, tiny dishwasher and huge space for storage. Nonalcohlic drinks and snacks were free.

Room service food was great but very slow. Ditto with the restaurant downstairs. Fabulous, fresh food. You just can't be in a hurry.

There are plenty of restaurants nearby

Concierges are actually very helpful

Cabs are really easy to get from here

Only big negative for me.. No bathtub

• Stayed April 2012
Killearn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have stayed in a number of hotels in Manhattan and have found them to be pretty similar and of a lower standard than you would get for your money in the UK. The Andaz on 5th avenue is the exception. I travelled with my mum for a celebration trip to NYC and we picked this hotel partly to do with its location and the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. The rooms were far bigger than most in Manhattan and the hotel was spotless with excellent facillities. After a long flight, check in was a truly relaxing experience; we were shown to a seat in the library, made comfortable, given a complimentary drink and the hostess came to us - no standing in line with a desk as a barrier between staff & guest. The staff team, were young, fresh, attentive, courteous and polite throughout our stay - far nicer than any staff Ive encountered at NYC hotels over the last 15 years. The room was spotless, clean & modern and the complimentary snacks and soft drinks were enjoyed daily! We were in a suite overlooking 41st street and could see the new York Public Library from our wee balcony. We never once heard the people in the room next door and there was no street noise, which really surprised me. (Or, at least, if there was, it wasnt enough to keep me awake!). The bathroom was a very generous size with double sinks, & huge shower which included a foot shower - most appreciated after walking round Manhattan shopping all day! If you like your hotels with wooden floors, crisp neat lines & spotless white bedding then this is the hotel for you. The location is very central for most things tourists would want to see or do and with the subway links at Bryan Park less than a block away, and those at Grand Central only 2 blocks away you can access the rest of Manhattan with ease. I plan on going back with my husband as soon as I can!

Room Tip: our room overlooking 41st street was nice and quiet at night and got the sun most of the day
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank shons1
DC
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This really is a fantastic hotel. Location is perfect, rooms are wonderful, food is great and staff are friendly (by NY standards). I've stayed here umpteen times and i've thoroughly enjoyed every moment.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I could not fault this hotel in any way. Every element came together. Light, bright room, fluffy duvet and comfortable beds, brilliant aesthetic, and amazing bathroom - especially that giant shower. I love that they comp the drinks/snacks - we probably had 2 things in a 3-night stay but it's the gesture that's meaningful. Staff seemed nice, though I can't say we called on them much to test out the services. It might be nice to be in an instant "neighborhood" like SoHo depending on what you're in New York for, but it was quite handy and central for most of our needs. Lots of value here. I've stayed at many places in the city but unless I'm splashing out at the Crosby Street or similar, this will be my new go-to spot in New York.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank kartwoman
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Andaz Fifth Avenue has one of the world’s prime locations. Just minutes from New York’s best entertainment districts and on one of the most iconic shopping streets in the world, it’s fair to say that this is every girl’s dream hotel. And the boys will love it too… The nearest subway station is just one block away, making getting round Manhattan really easy.

Rooms are very modern with all the latest mod cons, along with control panels that work everything. Tricky at first (or after a few cocktails), but clever and quirky. We loved the fact that you more or less have a light for every mood. Our room was high up and set back in the building, a two-roomed ‘suite’ that overlooked the street. The room has two huge windows, a huge sofa, desk and awesome bathroom with a three-way shower. Our friends fared better with their view of the NYC Central Library (those infamous steps!) but their room was smaller and didn’t incorporate a living room area. Our room was also quite tricky to get to – down a number of corridors, two lifts and round some corners. Not that we cared – it was peaceful, comfortable and worth the trip!

Check in is done while you take a seat and grab a glass of wine (free between 6 and 9pm!), by ‘hosts’ using ipads. No formal, stuff queue at check-in here and these hosts multi-task, so there’s no horrible atmosphere or hierarchy evident. The staff are friendly and fun, and nothing is a problem for them – they eve gave me their direct number if I thought of anything that I needed while I was out. Personal touches like this make Andaz stand out.

We took breakfast each day in ‘the shop’ – and as you would expect, it’s pretty amazing, but in my mind nobody does breakfast better than the Americans. There’s also a really cool bar called ‘the bar downstairs’ that serves up delicious tapas-style sharing plates and knock-you-out cocktails. It feels so trendy and SO New York in there. There’s also a pretty cool, well-equipped gym in which we worked off the excesses of those nights before.

We ate at Bubba Gump on Times Square, John's Pizza place on Bleecker Street, the Atlantic Bar and Grill and you MUST have the Sunday jazz brunch at the Garage in Greenwich Village. We watched the sunset from Top of the Rock, shopped til we dropped and had a great time too. Andas Fifth Ave? RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business