“Pleasantly surprised”

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center
Ranked #91 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 February 2012

When booking this hotel there weren't many reviews or pictures around so I didn't know what to expect, but from the moment I stepped into the hotel, I knew i'd chosen the right place for me.
The hotel is very clean, check in was fast and prompt, and the staff were friendly. It can take a little while remembering how to use the elevator, but it was a nice little security feature that made me feel that little bit safer. I was on my own and the room was just the right size for that, but it may have felt a little crowded if there were two of us. The room was always clean.
The location was spot on for where I wanted to be, which was near the theatre district. There is a convenience store a couple of doors down, which I found very helpful, and plenty of places to eat nearby.
There is no doubt in my mind that I would search this hotel first next time i'm visiting New York.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank survivorGirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,956)

Reviewed 25 February 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel on President's Day weekend and we were both dismayed with the mediocrity of this hotel.

First the pros: The hotel is very nicely located in midtown Manhattan and is really close to sites like Rockefeller Center, Central Park and Carnegie Deli. The rooms are very modern and clean.

The Cons: When I first came to the hotel, I had to check us in with a computer instead of the concierge even though she was sitting right next to the terminal. This was a minor annoyance but nothing major. What really upset me is that I asked the concierge if the bellhop could grab our bags from the car because I have a bad back and couldn't carry them all. I was told that if I brought them inside, he could take them from there! I was paying $300 a night for a room and I had to porter my own bags?! Absolutely unacceptable.

The room was pathetically small. I have never been in a smaller hotel room in my life and I spend a great deal of time travelling for work. The Jewel bills itself as a green hotel so the shower had terrible pressure. The room's thermostat has a motion sensor built in that turns the room temperature down if it doesn't sense motion. I was woken up early every morning because the room became too cold to comfortably sleep in and I had to readjust the thermostat.

I would not stay at the Jewel again. There are hundreds of hotels in NYC and dozens within a few blocks of this one. I would recommend staying at more traditional hotels.

3  Thank TheCogsShow
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We had a wonderful experience and stay at the Jewel! Very clean rooms, smooth check in and added bonus of the free filtered water on each floor. The location is perfect and was exactly where we wanted to be. I would definitely stay there again!

1  Thank bkkk
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My daughter and I stayed at The Jewel hotel for 6 days. The rooms are small, but very comfortable and clean. People who work at front desk are very friendly. The location is great, one block to fith avenue! We loved this hotel e we will come back soon....

Room Tip: Standart room with view it is a good choice
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SandraTrevizan
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Jewel hotel for 3 days. It was a very pleasant experience. The rooms are clean, very comfortable. There are many deli and bakeries nearby. The shops at Rockefeller Center are just right at the corner. The hotel provided complimentary water, coffee, work stations. We would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Rishu A
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I went to New York last week to see a show at Radio City Music Hall. We researched hotels in the area looking for a new place to stay. I noticed the Jewel Hotel and after checking on Trip Advisor made the reservation.
It was a terrific experience, from the minute we walked in the door until we left. The person at the front helped us check in and the room was very clean, a very nice bathroom and included a coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. The room is smallere than most we have stayed in but everything youneed is there and it is a very efficiant design. The bed was very comfortable.
The location is ideal, 1 block to Radio City Music Hall, accross the street from Rockafeller Center, 2 blocks from Saks Firfth Ave. There is no pool but you have access to a private club next door where we had a very good breakfast and a 20@ discount as a guest of The Jewel
We will stay there the next time we are in New York

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and if you are lucky you will be on the 11th floor where 4 of the rooms h...
1  Thank JMICHAEL
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great location can walk almost every where near good restaurant as well.

• Stayed: February 2012