“Great Stay!!”

The Jewel facing Rockefeller Center
Ranked #99 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I highly recommend the Jewel. The location is excellent. It's close to all midtown attractions and far enough away from Times Square and 5th Avenue to not be loud at night. There is an abundance of bars and restaurants nearby. Plenty of coffee and pastry shops as well, for when it's cold and you need to warm up. They offer free bottled water which came in handy and have printers for guests, so you can print your tickets and boarding passes. The rooms were European sized, but very comfortable and clean. I would not consider this property basic, the rooms were well decorated and with more amenities and quality than a basic hotel would offer. Location and quality are superb, and the price fantastic!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank marialj

Reviewed 4 March 2012

It was a really great location with clean well maintained rooms. There was not a lot of extras but for the money it really was a great value. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel
to anyone. The rooms were pretty small but if you stayed in NYC often that is the norm. Friendly informed staff that attended to our needs quickly when we had any requests

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank john0624
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I'm almost tempted to write a really crappy review of the Jewel so that people won't know about this place, but I can't! Stayed here on a weekend visit to Broadway and were VERY happy with everything here! The location could not be better - walk out the front door, cross the street and you're in Rockefeller Center! The rooms are nicely furnished and offer a good bit of room (by NYC standards!) And when you factor in the price, it was one of the best deals we've come across in NYC in years! Will be back!

Room Tip: Spend a few extra bucks to upgrade a little bit or get a room in the front, facing Rockefeller Ctr...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank WineTraveller
Reviewed 26 February 2012

When booking this hotel there weren't many reviews or pictures around so I didn't know what to expect, but from the moment I stepped into the hotel, I knew i'd chosen the right place for me.
The hotel is very clean, check in was fast and prompt, and the staff were friendly. It can take a little while remembering how to use the elevator, but it was a nice little security feature that made me feel that little bit safer. I was on my own and the room was just the right size for that, but it may have felt a little crowded if there were two of us. The room was always clean.
The location was spot on for where I wanted to be, which was near the theatre district. There is a convenience store a couple of doors down, which I found very helpful, and plenty of places to eat nearby.
There is no doubt in my mind that I would search this hotel first next time i'm visiting New York.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank survivorGirl
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel on President's Day weekend and we were both dismayed with the mediocrity of this hotel.

First the pros: The hotel is very nicely located in midtown Manhattan and is really close to sites like Rockefeller Center, Central Park and Carnegie Deli. The rooms are very modern and clean.

The Cons: When I first came to the hotel, I had to check us in with a computer instead of the concierge even though she was sitting right next to the terminal. This was a minor annoyance but nothing major. What really upset me is that I asked the concierge if the bellhop could grab our bags from the car because I have a bad back and couldn't carry them all. I was told that if I brought them inside, he could take them from there! I was paying $300 a night for a room and I had to porter my own bags?! Absolutely unacceptable.

The room was pathetically small. I have never been in a smaller hotel room in my life and I spend a great deal of time travelling for work. The Jewel bills itself as a green hotel so the shower had terrible pressure. The room's thermostat has a motion sensor built in that turns the room temperature down if it doesn't sense motion. I was woken up early every morning because the room became too cold to comfortably sleep in and I had to readjust the thermostat.

I would not stay at the Jewel again. There are hundreds of hotels in NYC and dozens within a few blocks of this one. I would recommend staying at more traditional hotels.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheCogsShow
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We had a wonderful experience and stay at the Jewel! Very clean rooms, smooth check in and added bonus of the free filtered water on each floor. The location is perfect and was exactly where we wanted to be. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bkkk
Reviewed 24 February 2012

My daughter and I stayed at The Jewel hotel for 6 days. The rooms are small, but very comfortable and clean. People who work at front desk are very friendly. The location is great, one block to fith avenue! We loved this hotel e we will come back soon....

Room Tip: Standart room with view it is a good choice
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family