“I wanted to LOVE it.....” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gotham Hotel

The Gotham Hotel
Ranked #229 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bedford, New Hampshire
“I wanted to LOVE it.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

but I liked it alot! Fab location, lovely room, fun little step out balcony. The room was very sleek, and the hotel was quiet...I was on the 9th floor facing the front. I easily walked to museums, the theater, shopping. The things I missed were a safe in the room, coffee pot in the room, ice machine available to guests, but these are personal preferences. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. Food through room service very good. I had cocktails in the bar twice, and both times the service was very lacking, although there was plenty of staff.
The front staff was very good, especially Deanna in reservations, and Chet, who took care of all kinds of miscellaneous items for me. Housekeeping was hit and miss....toiletries were not refreshed, and day 2 brought no TP. Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't mention a little encounter with a bellman. I was going to the theater, and when he couldn't get a cab, (which was not a big problem) I said I'd walk, and could I use his Gotham umbrella. His response was that there was one in my room, and it was the only one he had. That is SO not the right response, and had I gone to my room it would have made me late for the play. Instead I walked in the rain, and came home with a raging cold. Perhaps the hotel could invest in some umbrellas at the front door.
Some hits, some misses, but all in all a nice hotel that just needs a little staff training.

Room Tip: I would ask for a high floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank hollybelle210

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed here for two nights in February 2012. We got a really good price on booking.com, so that's why we choose it at first.

Location is very good! It's just couple off steps from 5th Ave. And there are several resturants and coffe places next door. Since we didn't have breakfast included, that was very convenient for us.

It's a very nice and modern hotel. It does not have a regular reseption. But the bell-man wished us welcome, and then another staff came and gave us the information we needed and the keys. It worked great! The room was as others on Manhattan - not very big, but it workes fine. The room was nice and the bathroom very modern. Love the shower. All though I wish there was a bit more space in the bathroom to put toiletries. Now I had to put it on the desk in the bedroom. The bed is really nice. I read about the sharpe edges on here on the beds before going, and in the beginning I didn't understand how people kept bumping in to the sharpe corners. But during our two nights stay I hurt my legs several times on the sharpe corners of the bed. Especially since the room isn't very big and we had big suitcases on the floor. So I agree with the others: look out for the corners off the bed. They really hurt!

The night before check-out we called down and asked if we could have our room for a couple of hours longer since we then could have all our stuff in the room before heading to the airport. That was not a problem, and made our last day in NY a lot more easygoing. Great service!!

The bell-man got us a car to the airport for only $ 55 (pluss tips off course). The cheapest ride we have had! Loved it! Smooth and easy ride in a nice, big van.

If we get a good deal, we would definitly come back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TBTr
Walpole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We got a website deal on the Gotham Hotel and purchased it-website looked good. We were not disappointed. Location is ideal for shopping and theater going, right off 5th Ave. at 46th. Staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious by NYC standards. Ask for a balcony-great to see the city lights. We had a package that included breakfast, but if you don't there is a Dunkin donuts next door as well as a few other places that are less expensive. The owners are European and the rooms have a clean modern feel. The hotel restaurant Tenpenny was very good, we had an excellent dinner there. No problem with reservation as was noted in another review. Very nice touch was water and wine ithe lobby. Beds are extrememly comfortble. A very luxurious feel to this hotel. We plan to go back.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony-so nice to see NYC at nite.
3 Thank jcb4255
Winterport, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Gotham Hotel the weekend of January 14th. We chose this property after purchasing a deal on Living Social. Neither of us had ever stayed in the city, so we didn't know what to expect. We came in on the train and found it to be a very short walk from Grand Central Station. In fact we were able to walk to many of the sights we wanted to see including Times Square, theater district, Rockefeller Center and Fifth Avenue.

We were greeted right away and served a glass of wine. Within 10 minutes we were escorted to our room. The rooms are huge with high ceilings. Our balcony did not have an impressive view, but I didn't come to the city to view it out my window. For a fantastic view, we went to the 19th floor to enjoy the balcony for all guests. This balcony feels like you are suspended over the street. Each night we received a fresh fruit treat at our bedside, which we loved.

We ate at Tenpenny, the onsite restaurant, Saturday evening. We did not have a reservation, but were quickly seated at the bar, which was fine. Our meal was delicious. We enjoyed great cocktails made by a very competent bartender and enjoyed watching her work. Everything really was delicious from the appetizers and entrees to the sorbet dessert.

We would chose this hotel again in a second, however without the Living Social deal we wouldn't be able to afford it.

3 Thank travelingmom85
San Bruno, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

As a preface, I hardly ever leave reviews, and am pretty flexible and patient when it comes to issues that may arise. My experience at this hotel, however, got off to such a bad start, that I felt it was necessary to voice my opinion and get the word out.

I had booked this hotel through a Living Social deal and was excited to have found what looked like a very trendy and modern hotel so close to Times Square. As part of the Living Social deal, I was supposed to have received 1) A complementary upgrade to a Gotham Three Room type, 2) a "VIP Welcome Package" and 3) a $50 voucher to the hotel restaurant, Tenpenny.

All seemed to be in order - I had made reservations at the restaurant a month in advance and had successfully booked my room, letting them know ahead of time that I had purchased the Living Social voucher - yet things quickly unraveled as soon as we arrived on Friday evening.

Upon check-in I again let them know that I had purchased the Living Social deal, which they acknowledged they knew about. We were then brought to the 2nd floor, and placed in a room facing the back alley - quite different than what I had expected given the description of an upgrade on the voucher. I immediately went downstairs, and was informed that they were sold out of the upper floor rooms, a point which was not mentioned to me when I initially made the reservations two weeks prior. After they checked the reservation system, I was told we could be upgraded the next day to an upper level room, which I went along with.

After returning to our room, we noticed it was VERY chilly. Playing around with the heat, we couldn't get it to work, and found the unit blowing out cold air. A technician was sent up and ruled the heater broken. We were then moved across the hall and, to our dismay, found that the heater here too, was broken. After going back down to the front desk to let them know of the issue, they suddenly said there had been a cancellation, and that when we returned home that evening, all of our stuff would be in an upper level room, which we were ecstatic to hear.

Our problems were not over, however... I had booked a reservation at the restaurant Tenpenny a week in advance. When we arrived at our booked time, they told us they did not have our reservation. Fortunately, we were seated right away. Immediately it was obvious they were understaffed. It took a while for our waiter to greet us, and as soon as he did, we ordered our meals and drinks. After waiting for a decent amount of time, our food finally came out - yet no drinks were to be found. We reminded our waiter of this and he said he would check the bar. Our drinks finally arrived, to our dismay, after we had finished our entire meals. At this time, no apology was uttered nor was the problem even acknowledged. The manager came over to clear our plates, and upon asking us how everything was, I let him know the situation. He apologized, but did not seem ready to try and make amends, instead ambling over a few minutes later and dropping desert menus in front of us without a word, as if in assumption that everything was fine. Meanwhile, our waiter had yet to return to the table, and did not return for the rest of our meal. Finally, after dismissing desert, we received our bill, which had been cleared of the drinks - fortunately I had a $50 voucher, so we effectively paid what the dinner was worth.

Overall I was extremely displeased with this hotel initially. It has a lot of potential, and could be more than great with a little more careful planning and management oversight. Our new room was great, and we did not eat at the restaurant for the rest of our time there, so overall our experience greatly improved after this first mishap.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the upper level floors, you won't be disappointed. Great views, ceiling to...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Matt S
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We chose the Gotham mainly for its very convenient location in mid-town. That all rooms have a small balcony was an added bonus. The staff is super friendly and helpful and the unusal reception area is a welcome change to the normal hotel routine with a very personal welcome, a drink while you check in and the nice atmosphere with books and a tastefully done interior.
The rooms are not the biggest, on the other hand for New York they are sufficiently big enough and the pricing is really good.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better, rooms facing the street may be a little bit noisier but have a nicer view...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Indichur
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

What a lovely hotel! Piles of books everywhere, and oranges brought by the maid so I might fill out a questionnaire....but I didn't as I rushed off in the morning. Sorry!
Very comfortable bed, very quiet, sparkly modern bathroom. And a great location.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business