“Ridiculous....” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Midtown
New York City, New York
“Ridiculous....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

that's what i was thinking after the first bite of the roberto (tuesday special, roast pork marinated overnight, some heat from fresh sliced jalapenos, some other delicious pork products, served on a hot bun to soak up the flavorful juices). it's insane. usually i don't bother writing about hometown restaurants: it's nyc--there are so many to choose from and it's hard to go really wrong unless you're trying to have a bad meal. a couple visits to city sandwich forced me to put some words down. it's that good.

the soups are flavorful and the portugese custards they sell are off the chain as well. but the best part is after you finish an amazingly delicious, super fresh, flavorful meal you realize it was all fresh, healthy ingredients. all for not much more than a lenny's (also good but definitely not healthy) or subway foot long? bonus...

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank soy888

“Fresh, Favorful, Hot, Delicious Sandwiches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Many people are calling City Sandwich the best sandwich shop in NYC and after my first visit, I have to agree with them. The roll is just about perfect, crunchy and soft, then the freshest ingredients, cheeses and condiments are used...kale, collard greens, spinach, eggplant. The board list the sandwiches by category...No Meat, Egg, Meat, including Portguese meats. The result, truly fantastic sandwiches that make you want to come back again and again. The staff is also very friendly and helpful...no bad attitudes here. Didn't taste the soup but the regulars were ordering. We sat and relished our Christine and Todd sandwiches with an ice cold dark beer. Wish we lived in NYC so I could savor another one of these delicious sandwiches. We will be back.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank joanpd
Ninove, Belgium
“Very tasty healthy sandwiches!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We visited the place with the Food on foot tour. My boyfriend and I shared a 'Todd' sandwich: the bread was sooo good, crunchy and just baked. It had lettuce and tomatoes and smoked Portugese pancetta and honey yogurt sauce...so yummy!! I wish we had one here in Belgium :-) We also met the owner, a really friendly and nice guy! Keep up the excellent work!

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank AngelicaT
Raleigh, NC
“Great Unique Sandwiches!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Our guide brought us here on a Food on Foot tour (Thanks Corey!). It was fantastic. The place has recently opened (around 3 months ago at the time). Owner greeted us at the door and told us about the restaurant and how the sandwich styles are a combination of Italian, Portugese and NYC cuisines. Everything on the menu looked amazing, lots of vegitarian options as well. We got the "Todd" sandwich and were not disappointed. Highly recommended as a lunch spot. Like most other places like this there is no where really to eat inside so you have to grab and go.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank toddoballs132002
Austin, Texas
“A don't-miss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I'm a vegan, and was a little worried about finding something decent anywhere near Times Square, so this was a great surprise. City Sandwich was on a "best of" list I saw online, and I understand why. The selection is wide, you can customize just about anything, and the sandwiches taste like proper meals that happened to be on really good bread. I'm not a bread person at all - never have been - but I really liked this. I went three times in four days. There's not a ton of seating, but I've never been when it was full - I think customers usually take out or get a sandwich delivered. It's very vegetarian friendly, and the people working there are so nice. If you're hungry and near 9th Ave., pop in!

• Visited October 2013