“A real view of NYC”

Streetwise New York Tours
Ranked #13 of 605 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Most walking tours point and stare at New York-with Streetwise New York, you live it! Streetwise New York explores neighborhoods, recounts history and studies contrast--but does so knowing that New York’s essence isn’t listed in guidebooks or displayed in museums. The true New York is melted into slices of pizza, hidden in subways, and carried in the ever-changing stories of its 8.5 million people.
New York City, New York
“A real view of NYC”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

I went on this tour with my sister. Both of us have been living in New York for some time and we’ve heard a million stories from our grandparents and parents about the time when they lived in the City. Going on this tour allowed me to expand my view, feel and imagine not only the stories of past times, but also the ones from all the cultures that converged in this point to create many worlds within one city. From the Lower East Side in Manhattan to Jackson Height in Queens, the tour made me realize I should take a brake more often to look around me and discover the historical, cultural, and culinary treasures that New York has to offer.
I recommend it for any tourist or local who wants to find out what New York is really about and learn information you'll never see on a guide book.
Wear comfortable shoes and bring a hat in the summer.

Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fascinating tour through immigrant NYC”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Queens, half of whose residents are foreign-born, is a polyglot mix where a vibrant strip of Latin American food vendors is sandwiched between blocks of Indo-Pakistani and Nepali-Tibetan shops, as well as a row of Thai, Indonesian and Vietnamese eateries. But neighborhoods like Astoria and Jackson Heights in Queens – considered the most multi-culturally diverse neighborhood in the world – are left off most New York travel
itineraries.

Streetwise NYC's tour weaves through all these sites, beginning with the more well-trodden immigrant centers of Manhattan (Chinatown, the Lower East Side and Little Italy - the "immigrant NYC" of Gangs of New York, The Godfather and history books) and ending in Elmhurst/Jackson Heights, Queens. Tour guide Andrew is a long-time resident of Queens and a reporter in the borough, and along the way, he not only points out great ethnic eateries and shops, but also offers historical and contemporary anecdotes, including stories and explanations for why food vendors are clustered on one side of a particular street; how so many electronic cookware stores can all survive clustered on one block; why Jackson Heights' majestic pre-war garden apartments were initially built and who lives there now; and the kinds of health concerns and social issues the new immigrant communities face.

We took the Chinatown van with Chinese immigrants from Manhattan to Queens, which was a lot of fun, and ate at a family-run Indonesian restaurant whose name I can't remember (Andrew could tell you which; also, the food was delicious), but my favorite part of the tour were Andrew's stories. When you have only a short time to get to know a place, stories really bring it to life and give you a sense of how people there really live, where they might be going as they pass you on the sidewalk.

I definitely recommend this tour for anyone who wants a more off-the-beaten-track experience of NYC, and anyone interested in immigrant America generally.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank AndreaAudrey
Brisbane, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Doing this tour optimised the following 3 days we had in New York,”
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Andrew's tour personalised New York City for us and empowered us to use the subway, shop,eat and explore on our own for the remaining days we had in New York. It was an interesting and enjoyable day for all of us( 2 Adults and 2 teenage children).Andrew was a considerate, thoughtful and informative guide and tailor made the tour for us. New York City no longer felt intimidating after our day with Andrew and I'd recommend it to others as a must do on the first or second day in New York.

1 Thank tmm789
washington, dc
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Around the World in 8 Hours”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I booked a "custom" tour for six friends and myself over July 4th weekend. I have visited NYC at least 100 times but wanted to focus this visit on the Outer Boroughs. I consulted ahead of time with Andrew Silverstein who was our guide and new friend. We went to some classic spots in the Lower East Side for a fascinating history "lesson" and then took a Chinatown to Chinatown van where we were the only English speakers. Then a journey through the worldwide polygot that is Elmhurst and Jackson Heights in Queens. Andrew was a delight, accomodating our special requests and some of the tour group who likes to wonder off base or live in the ozone :). Highly recommended, a real food and other fun delite.

3 Thank DMWizard
Calgary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I can't believe I ate the whole neighborhood!”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

It felt totally natural to wend one's way through the neighbourhoods of the Lower East Side and Queens. Andrew made us feel inconspicuous and part of the scene. And thank goodness his knowledge of the streets is matched by his appetite! We ate the UN! The first time you go to New York see Times Square. The second time you go see Andrew. He'll show you the New York where people live, where books and plays are written and movies shot. Where the circle of life keeps spinning, grabbing each new successive wave of immigrant in it's vortex to constantly renew the tastes and sounds and smells of the city. To be jostled by an elderly Chinese lady buying tadpoles for dinner in the fish market or jostled by a strapping Latino transvestite in drag dancing to a boom box, it was the way I wanted to spend a Sunday in New York.

Visited June 2011