“Lovely location and staff but disappointing”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #94 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We have stayed at this luxe little boutique hotel for years, and really enjoy the professional staff and clever, thoughtful room design. The beds are super comfortable and there are creative and fun touches like the pillow menu. Our last stay, however was problematic due to numerous housekeeping issues. The shower head, the bathtub drain, the iPod docking station....even the ice maker in the room, in disrepair. We had to call maintenance just to take a bath! The personable front desk staff can only be successful at their job when housekeeping is taking charge upstairs. All in all, the price was right and you're only blocks from the theater and great shopping. Worth a try for sure.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura525
Write a ReviewReviews (2,827)

Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed a whopping (for us) 10 nights, so got to know the hotel very well indeed.
Location is midtown, so close to many NYC favorites - Grand Central Station, MoMA, Top of the Rock etc.
Hotel lobby is unprepossessing to say the least. Hotel greeting was very warm (Christine), and our room was fine - comfortable and spacious-by-NY-standards lounge room and small-but-quite-ok bedroom. The bathroom was tiny - we alternated! Oh, I nearly forgot, we also had a generous kitchenette, with a large refridgerator; we could have, but didn't, prepared meals in our room.
There are only 2 elevators serving the entire hotel, which is nothing like adequate - we were on the 20th floor, so had a lot of waiting to do, both coming and going.
Internet is available at a price, though I noted some rates where it was free.
Catering was a letdown, mainly because of its unpredictability. The National, a street-fronting restaurant that is nominally part of the hotel, is the sole option for in-house dining. They also provide the room service. It is a weirdly inconsistent restaurant; some of the staff are as good as you will find in NYC or anywhere else for that matter (Robyn and Ronnie embody warmth and professionalsim), while others act like they just don't want to be there.
And they have odd rules, closing off certain areas at certain times for no apparent reason. That said, the place does a roaring trade, so they are clearly hitting the spot for a lot of punters.
The hotel's hidden treasure is the concierge desk, tucked away at the right hand end of the reception desk. We took a while to find them, but when we did, they - Gina and Anya take a huge bow - they were incredibly helpful (and funny, which we liked).
Almost next door to the hotel is a great convenience store - we stocked our refridgerator with snacks and beer, but shopped elsewhere for wine. And just down the hill is a diner which provides a good breakfast.
We enjoyed our time at the Benjamin probably more than this review indicates; the trouble is that the downsides - lack of elevators and patchy experience at the National for example - take the place down a tad.
So I'll close by saying again that the best of the Benjamin - people especially - is elite, joyful and warm - I hope that's what you get most of if you stay there.

Room Tip: Inner facing rooms (we had one) are quieter than those that face Lexington.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JFLonergan
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I am from Vancouver,BC,Canada. Stayed at hotel in 3 rooms with family.Hotel staff was excellent.Very informative.Helped with all our touring needs while staying in New york. We were able to check in our bags and car 4 hours before check in time. Location was perfect for our ringing in of the New Year.Hotel restaurant is very good.desk recommendations for dining was perfect.Directions to venues were printed out for our use. By hotel staff.I would stay at this hotel again on my next visit to the Big Apple.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jbfcon
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I am a New Yorker now living in CA so I'm extra picky when it comes to NYC hotels...There were a few on this block and luckily i chose The Benjamin. Remodeled lobby, big rooms, great bed. The bathroom was quite small and there was very little AT&T coverage and also they charge for Wifi. Otherwise it was really great, excellent location too.

Room Tip: the Studio rooms have a little kitchenette
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here last week. I can't say enough about the staff I dealt with was always willing to help me. The room was always clean and comfortable. I loved the location and the food from The National wow. Will be there again later this year guaranteed.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I stayed at the Benjamin last weekend. At check-in time there was 1 employee working at the desk. This was a holiday weekend and my husband and I waited for over half an hour in the TINY lobby waiting for our room. As an aside, another woman behind the desk (who was not helping anyone, was EATING... gross!). After finally checking in, my husband and I went to elevator, where we saw our friends' suitcases sitting there unattended. Our friends had already checked in, and were in their room waiting for their luggage. Sitting in plain view, for anyone to take was a $2000 camera and Apple laptop. Not one employee was there. On Saturday evening my friend and I booked massages at the Elemis spa. First, we were taken 20 minutes late for our appointment, we were told that the previous party had not checked out yet and one of the therapists needed to be in front to finalize her payment. Really, there is not another person working at the front desk? And what about a manager??? After our delayed start the massage was pretty awful and we just wanted to pay and get the hell out of there. Disgusting locker rooms, one small bathroom, and lockers that didn't lock. At checkout we were told that the system was slow and once again, a therapist needed to be the one to check us out. After 30 minutes, we were finally complete and could leave our miserable eperience. $170 for a crappy massage and almost an hour wait. NEVER AGAIN!!!
I find it interesting that Mr. LaBelle, general manager, has taken the time to respond to most of these concerns personally. I left a voicemail message for one of your "assistant managers" on Tuesday about my complaints, but am still waiting for a return call.
Thanks for nothing.

Room Tip: Stay at the W hotel!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank b b
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The Benjamin is an excellent choice -- well kept; excellent service and a great location. Excellent value.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple