New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Exceptional cheese shop and restaurant, better than many places in Italy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beecher's Handmade Cheese

Ranked #876 of 13,260 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 20th Street
Transit: N, R, W, Q, L or 4, 5, 6 Trains to 14th Street/Union Square or R, W Trains to 23rd Street/Broadway.
Aalborg
“Exceptional cheese shop and restaurant, better than many places in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I did not believe my eyes and my senses when I first time entered 'Beecher's Handmade Cheese' next to Flat Iron in Manhattan, New York. The variety, the quality, the taste, the friendly and knowledgeable staff - everything. I got cheese there, American cheese, that is as good as or even better than many Italian cheeses. I brought a kilo of different cheeses with back home to Denmark. Go there, check it out.

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SugarMountainSM, Guest Relations Manager at Beecher's Handmade Cheese, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Lars,
I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to Beecher's New York! Thanks for taking the time to post about it (and for bringing some home to Denmark for your friends)!

Matt

Philly
“Cheese is wonderful but not even close to being on par to Seattle store”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

My husband and I love Beecher's in Seattle so we were very excited when they opened a Store/Restaurant in NYC. We went there last weekend and I am sad to say that we were both disappointed. They were out of their Flagship Cheddar which is their staple product. I don't understand how that was possible but it was a sign of what was to come. We ordered a sandwich and some of their famous mac and cheese that we loved in Seattle. The set up is very confusing. You order from one person who writes your name and order down and hands it to somebody behind him while he put your soup/mac and cheese in a bowl. Then you go to the register (without your bowl?) and have to repeat your order to the cashier and pay. Then you stand around and wait until the person making your sandwich yells out your name. You get your sandwich and then have to try to get the attention of the of either the cashier or the soup/mac and cheese guy to get your bowl. Its absurd and I hope they figure out a more logical system. There were only about 10 people there while I was there and it was awful. I can only imagine how much worse it is with a bigger crowd. And the mac and cheese was not as good as it is in Seattle. There is no way they are following the same recipe. My sandwich - the caprese - was very good. The bread, the cheese and the fresh basil really made it. The ladies behind the cheese counter were very nice and very helpful. There is a nice selection of cheeses and free samples. I know this place has been open less than a year so I am hoping they get their act together for the next time we are in NYC. It is fun to watch the cheese being made while you eat. The bar downstairs was not open while we were there so I can't speak to how the service is down there.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello,
I'm really sorry to hear about your disappointment with your recent visit to Beecher's Handmade Cheese New York. I'm glad that you're a fan of our Seattle location and I'm concerned about any inconsistency with the Mac & Cheese. Would you mind giving me a little more detail about how you felt the Mac didn't measure up to that of Seattle's?
We're always trying to improve the ordering process, so your input is appreciated.

Matt
Texas
“FAB U Lous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great customer service, great atmosphere, great wine and cheese! The macaroni and cheese is to die for! A must!

• Visited February 2012
Houston, Texas
“Best macaroni and cheese EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I've never been to the original Beecher's in Seattle but my boyfriend and his mom raved about the macaroni and cheese there. The recipe is available online so I've made it a couple of times (using just regular shredded cheese) and it's always drawn praise. So I was very excited to find out that a Beecher's has opened in NYC and I'd be able to stop in on my last vacay there! My friend and I went around lunchtime and just grabbed some mac and cheese. Boy, oh boy, this stuff was amazing. It tasted a lot like what I'd made but the quality of the cheese was much better. I will definitely be back here again! Maybe I'll bring a cooler to bring some cheese home too!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta, Georgia
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

What a fun place to eat! I stumbled into Beecher's on their opening day last June and ate there again twice during a recent visit to NYC. They make their own cheeses, along with other goodies, and serve terrific sandwiches, soups and salads. You can watch the cheese making process while you eat. They often offer samples as you enter the door - take them, you will be glad you did!

• Visited December 2011