“Expensive, nice but not exceptional”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #139 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, Canada
“Expensive, nice but not exceptional”
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Super convenient location. I stayed here for work and the location was perfect. But if it weren't a work trip and location mattered less, I'd stay elsewhere. Rooms were nice but not fabulous. Wouldn't be my first choice for a NY hotel.

Room Tip: Our rooms varied quite a bit in size, A bunch of us who worked together all stayed at the same hotel...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Welcome SamOntario,
Thank you very much for sharing your recent review with us here at W New York Union Square. We always value feedback from our guests.
Gerald Tellez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I stay here periodically for both business and pleasure and always have a great experience. The refurb has made it even better. New style, fresh. Great service. Not cheap but you're paying for a fantastic location and it's far and away my favourite NYC W Hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sam B
Welcome SamBed,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear such wonderful comments on our hotel and our new rooms. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I had to go to New York on business and I knew right away I was booking at W. This is the second time I've stayed here. My first time was so amazing. I contacted Mr. Tellez (Gerald) who remembered me from my first visit. Im from California and the fact that he remembered me speaks volumes. Anyway, just like last time he took time to greet me and ask about my flight and said how much he loves Cali. This stands out because the hotel was very busy. The rest of the staff is equally amazing. I love W Hotels. I highly recommend all of them. Thanks again. I will be back.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Christophe T, General Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are thrilled that you decided to visit us again and even more delighted that you had such a positive experience! Our talent team takes such pride in making a personalized connection with our valued guests. Gerald truly embodies and personifies what our service culture is all about-We are so proud of him!
Thank you once again for your continual loyalty. We hope to welcome you back again soon! -Christophe
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Since I am in the middle of a platinum challenge, I decided to try the Union Square W due to its proximity to our NY office. This was my first time staying at this property as it’s always on the high side for price around the area.

After a less-than-average experience at the Gansevoort Park during my last stay in NYC, it was refreshing to have a fantastic stay this time around. All of the rooms have now been refreshed and the hotel staff upgraded me to a mega-room with a partial view of the park.

The refreshed rooms were well equipped. The bed was comfortable and there is plenty of space in the room. The Wi-Fi was free in the hotel, which was great because almost every other Starwood I’ve stayed at charges you.

Some have mentioned that the lobby staff was not very friendly. I had the opposite experience during check-in, where I was greeted with a very warm and hospitable welcome. Even the maids and the person who brought my room service (try the risotto tater-tots with truffle aioli) were pleasant.

Overall, it was a great stay; I will definitely be back as long as the prices are manageable

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lindseybreeden
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Welcome LindseyBreeden,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always nice to hear from our most loyal Platinum guests. We appreciate you kind note. I will share them with our teams.
I look forward to your return to W New York Union Square.
Warmest Wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I've stayed here 4 or 5 times now and every time I visit New York I think about staying somewhere new....then always end up back at the W Union Square. The staff are amazingly friendly, the bar is buzzy and great fun and the rooms are large (amazing for New York), modern, comfortable and well appointed in terms of large flat screen TVs, minibar, free water, wifi etc. This time there were a few glitches (blocked sink, problems getting the wifi to work, not enough bathroom products for two females!) but overall we had another great stay. The wifi costs extra which I don't like, especially since it's not a cheap stay in the first place, but overall it was great and I highly recommend it, especially if like us you are wanting to shop a lot - easy walk to SoHo and not too bad if you want to go uptown too, so the location is excellent. Plus if the weather is nice you can sit in the park too.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the park if you can
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Welcome CaspiaPam,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us. It is always nice to hear such great reviews from our loyal guests. I am glad you like our new rooms and lounges. On the other hand I am very sorry to hear of the minor glitches you experienced. Please note you can always call Whatever Whenever and we will always make it a point to go out of our way to make you feel comfortable. We appreciate your feedback.
I look forward to your return to W New York Union Square.
Warmly,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I recently stayed at the W Union Square. As soon as I entered the buzzing lobby of the hotel, the W team made me feel like I was at my home away from home. Check-in was seamless and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful throughout my entire stay. My room was great. It was located on the 10th floor overlooking Union Square. It was bright, spacious, and we had this amazing, decorative full-length mirror (aesthetically pleasing and extremely functional at the same time). There was ample closet space and the beds were very comfortable. Definitely not your typical NYC hotel room. The service at the hotel was impeccable. Everyone greeted me and asked if I needed assistance. The staff was proactive and pleasant. Making sure I was as comfortable as possible during my stay. GREAT HOTEL AND GREAT OPERATIONS TEAM!

Room Tip: Located on a high floor on 17th Street Side
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Welcome BJ W,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us. It is always a pleasure to hear such wonderful reviews on W New York Union Square. I am glad our operations team made you feel right at home. We look forward to your next W experience.
Warmest Wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I didn't enjoy my stay in the W Union Square and will not be returning. The main problem was the service, which was poor: the last thing you want when you arrive late at night direct from a flight from overseas is a receptionist who isn't helpful and gives you incorrect information regarding the hotel's policies - not a great start - and I'm afraid it didn't improve throughout our stay. Unfortunately, the location is not enough to make up for the fact that the staff is just not what you would expect from a hotel that has to compete with the other great options that New York has to offer.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Welcome BillyLondon,
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on W New York Union Square. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you shared. I can only imagine how frustrating this type of interaction with a member of my staff after a long overseas flight. I hope you were able to share this with a member of our management while you here. We always like to make sure our guests are comfortable. The level of service you recieved is certainly not customary of W New York Union Square. I hope you can give us another opportunity in the future.