“Hospitality, Location, Hospitality, Location”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #31 of 468 Hotels in New York City
disney
“Hospitality, Location, Hospitality, Location”
Reviewed 26 February 2012

In December, I stayed at The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park on a weekend trip with my daughter, her pal and their mom. The four of us planned to soak up as much New York at Christmas as possible in 48 hours. The location of this hotel is perfect for experiencing all New York City has to offer. We were so close to all the sites including 5th Avenue, Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park and more. I really can't imagine staying anywhere else now when I go to New York City.

Everyone there made us feel so welcomed. I felt like the doormen were swooping us in from the cold and the lobby was embracing us with a warm blanket. They also always helped us with navigating the city and what was our best way to travel to a location. All you have to do is taste the S'mores and Cocoa in the Star Lounge in the lobby to feel relaxed and at home. That is how I felt while I was there. It seemed like I had always stayed there and of course they knew my name (it was the Ritz wasn't it)! I felt so relaxed right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city. It refreshed us, so we were ready to go out and tackle more sightseeing, shopping and more!

Everyone there was at the top of their game. My packages from shopping never even had to go to the room. Ryan was amazing and had them shipped without a care for me. They showed up in perfect time for Christmas and were in much better shape than the ones I carried home myself. All the staff were amazing, whether they were at the door, in the lobby, a concierge or in the club lounge. I did not have a care in the world, because I knew that if I did they would handle it for me.

Also the rooms are amazing. We needed double beds, so we had to forgo the view, but the Club Lounge substituted for a view of all the decked out holiday horse and carriages going down the street. Our bathroom was almost like a Spa Suite! Also the bed was the most comfortable that I can remember anywhere and I travel a good bit!

I would love to make this an annual trip! Maybe next time for a Mother's Day Adventure or to experience Central Park in the spring or summer. The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park has to be the best place to experience New York. I can't imagine staying anywhere else! Also if you are going to Broadway or to see the Rockettes, this is your place to stay!

Room Tip: Try to make due with Queen room, if you need a double you will not be able to get the wonderful view...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank feefeewhite

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brasil
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The concierges are really amazing, helpful and extremely dedicated, location of course is wonderful, but room service and the restaurant at the breakfast are sometimes slow and not so top for what you are paying... In general a very good hotel, but mostly for the location and the staff at the frontdesk, concierge and doormen, but should ameliorate room service and the restaurante and bar...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have been so impressed with this hotel. The location is ideal and the quality of the room is great, especially for the price. Every time I go need a place to stay in the city, Park Central is my first choice. Literally just a 5 minute walk to times square and central park. The hotel itself is VERY clean and just nice enough to make you feel like you are actually on vacation. We tried staying in some cheaper hotels in the city a few times and it was miserable. Staff are also very pleasant and helpful! Oh and the beds are soooooo comfortable!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Imagine checking into the Ritz to celebrate your daughters 13 birthday with three friends in tow only to find that one of your adjoining reserved rooms had been "SOLD OFF".
with my wife fuming, the birthday girl in tears and everyone looking to me to get tough and make it right, I placed all my faith in the competent hands of General Manager, Mr. David Salcfas who implored me to, TRUST HIM TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT!.
Mr. Salcfas, Matt Gomberg and the rest of his superb staff shifted into high gear and within 40 minutes had the "birthday" party primping and prepping for a night on the town in a beautifully appointed suite.
Within ten minutes a complimentary room service arrived with goodies for the girls and a bottle of fine champagne to calm mom and dad's nerves. That was extremely thoughtful and parr for the course for such an outstanding organization.
What truly surprised me was the personal phone call for Mr. Salcfas to notify us that a stretch limo was awaiting our arrival curbside to take us anywhere we desired for the entire evening.
After all our planning and preparations to give our terrific kid and her friends a birthday to remember, what really topped off the evening was the kindness, courtesy and professionalism of a consumate hotellier.
Mr. Salcfas, I thank you for taking such great care of us and for making my little princess feel like a queen.
We will not forget your thoughtfulness and concern for our total satisfaction by you and your entire team.
Sincerely
David Breitbarth

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank 432davidb432
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Life is very dark and very bleak. That's why we all need to drink champagne and stay at the Ritz (c) Truman Capote.

Legendary hotel on the 59 street aka Central Park South. It's the street full of luxury hotels including the Plaza, Essex House and Mandarin Oriental. You can have a carriage ride by the Central park. That's very pretty and very NYC but that's why the street smells like... you know...

I used to live couple blocks away so often had lunch or drinks at the hotel. The bars and lounges are nice.

I stayed there only once with my girlfriend after the New Year Eve party, and was pleasantly surprised the rooms were very clean and big, and very well decorated.

If you're coming to NYC for a visit, I'd definitely recommend Ritz Calrton, just a great place to be in the very heart of the city!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank LazNYC
springfield, mo
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Just returned from a three night stay and am totally impressed with this hotel. The service is first class. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, helpful, and acted as if they really enjoyed their job! We stayed in a king room which did not have a view, but the size of the room, the furnishings, the bath were comfortable, very clean and definitely adequate. We did pay extra for the club level amenities and this is well worth the extra expense. Could easily eat breakfast and lunch here and the evening cocktails were a real treat. Did not use the spa but used the workout room. My only complaint about the hotel is the size of the work and its lack of windows. However, Central Park is just across the street and provides a perfect setting for running and walking. One of my favorite things about this hotel is that it feels small and relaxed. Most NYC hotels I've stayed in feels huge and crowded.

Room Tip: I totally recommend spending the extra money for the club level.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My wife and I don't usually stay at the Ritz very often as generally speaking it's out of our price range. That said we have had occasion to do so twice this year. The Central Park South location is your typical Ritz experience. Attentive/Friendly staff, understated but warm lobby/common areas and opulent rooms with many small details. Our room was spotless, sizable (for New York) and very quite.

The only issue we had was the absence of an iron in the room. This was noticed about an hour before my wife needed to leave for a meeting and it took the whole hour for them to bring one to us, thus she had to go out wrinkly. So if you need to touch up your clothes before going out call way ahead for an iron. The strange bit is that other Ritz locations have irons in the room.

I should probably mention that the room was over $1200/night. While it was a great hotel, with famous Ritz service and a great location, our regular room was by no means worth that price. You can stay around the corner on 5th for half that price at a few other of New York's best (historic) hotels. We have stayed at other Ritz hotels for much much more reasonable prices.

If your independently wealthy there is no need to stay elsewhere...for the rest of us you'd be just as happy elsewhere.

Room Tip: Request a park view! Request an iron when you check in if you're going to need one.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple