“Not the Ritz I know”

Ranked #32 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not the Ritz I know”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Great location and we had a beautiful suite overlooking Central Park. The rooms were very quiet except outside the bedroom we could hear a low rumble, which was surprising simce we were on the 19th floor. Our room wasn't ready till 5 pm, so we had to wait two hours after regular check in time. The hotel (concierge and spa) did not respond to emails. Food was very expensive and room service did not get our order correct except once, though they gave us our breakfast for free as a result. I've had more help getting a cab at a Hyatt as well. The hotel itself is very nice, but it was very unlike other Ritzes where I've stayed.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2012

From the moment our car pulled up we were treated like royalty. It is by far the best hotel we have ever stayed and if you have kids traveling with you...they are treated the same! Cribs are wonderful & staff is loving! Our bed was comfortable & hotel was spotless! This should be the blueprint for anyone who says they are customer service oriented! Thank you Ritz

• Stayed March 2012
CHARLESTON
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Great Room, Great Service all around a great place. Location was perfect. Would highly recommend for the business traveler or leisure.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the park!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Let me just preface this that I have stayed at several Ritz Carltons around the country. I have also stayed at several other luxury brand hotels. Will this hotel have the best room in all of NYC? no...... Will this hotel have the best service?...without a doubt yes! Every single person in this hotel goes out of their way to make your stay memorable. We stayed on the club level. We pretty much didnt pay for breakfast or lunch our entire stay because were full from the lounge. The free cocktails were nice too and you can pretty much ask for any drink you can think of. The room was ok...big for NYC standards. The bathroom was extremely nice for NYC standards. Seperate shower from tub, huge area for 2 people to be getting ready at the same time. They do have a complimentary car that will take you short distances, but you have to ask and it really depends on traffic/demand, etc. I cannot mention all the times where this hotel has anticpated my needs and then exceeded them. I have been to NYC before, but never have I enjoyed my stay so much. My new home is at the Ritz Central Park.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ufrc75
NYC/NJ
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Rooms are very nice but are not the stand out here - it's the service & location is excellent, right near the corner of 6th Ave & Central Park. The lounge serves some of the best scones in the world. You can happily skip the main afternoon tea & just do scones because they are sensational! The staff at the hotel are exemplary - soooo extremely friendly & helpful. The bellmen was happy to help us with the courtesy car, opening the doors for us & greeting us with a sense of humor & charm. Bathrooms downstairs are sooo clean & horse & carriage rides around Central Park are right across the street. You can't beat it in terms of location & friendliness.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2012

There are a lot of hotels to stay in New York. I was very disappointed by this choice. The service is not what I have seen from the Ritz in the past. The service was what I would expect at a low budget hotel. The only exemplary service was from the Bellman and doormen...Jose was polite, gave us great recommendations, and made our trip super. I booked my trip with american express platinum which gives a 4pm checkout. I specifically told them when i checked in that I would be leaving at 2pm. I got a call at noon telling me I needed to checkout. I pointed out to them that I had a late checkout and they said fine. We walked over to central park, and when we returned at 1:30 they blocked our room, so our key didn't work. This was terrible treatment to give a guest. There was a weak apology for this. Please don't stay here unless you want to be treated like a motel 6. I am cutting up my Ritz Rewards program card, and will never stay at a Ritz again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank 7915
Washington DC
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel was really worth the money. Our room wasn't ready immediately so they gave us a key to the lounge level which was so nice after the long cab ride from the airport. There was a light buffet breakfast that was full of fresh fruit. The head host offered any extras for us. We were barely through our breakfast sitting at a table overlooking the park when a nice woman came to escort us to our room. And the attention didn't stop there. We will be back. The lounge level is really a wonderful place to have for a quick trip also because you can pop in and there is always something there to pick you up, a cup of coffee, tea, and light food. We were going to the Big East Tournament and although the Ritz isn't very convenient to Madison Square Garden, it is worth the distance. When the doorman directed us to the closest subway, after we asked, and we found the card machine not functioning, they got a car for us to go down to the Garden. It was greatly appreciated as it was cab shift change. The people make the Ritz.

Room Tip: Ask for the lounge level
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends