New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Magnuson Convention Center Hotel

Magnuson Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #390 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Edmonton, Canada
“Mom and Daughter Trip...Glad to have stayed here.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

My mom had booked this hotel before we had talked about our options...and I was concerned when I saw the pictures and reviews, considering I am somewhat picky. However, I was very impressed with this hotel. It is definitely no-frills and small, but clean and comfortable. Any issues we had were addressed immediately.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is free, and the bagels and coffee were good. Also fresh fruit was available to grab and go for the day.
As long as you don't mind walking, the location is great...we walked from the hotel to our Broadway shows, Times Square, the Subway, etc. Everything you need is within a few blocks. And you are so close to the Harbour Tours! There's a Duane Reade a couple of blocks away which is great for drinks and snacks for your room. Also there is an Italian Restaurant (Il Punto) within a couple blocks that if you mention you are staying at this hotel, you get a 10% discount (...get the Pera salad mmmmm!)
We were 2 women travelling alone, and we felt safe walking around the area, even when we came back at midnight.
I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel - I thought it was great!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank A J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

Just a 1 Night stay. Comfortable nights rest. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Not a lot of Room for hanging out just enough space to put down your bags and go see the town.
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

If you have a conference at the Javits Center then this is the hotel for you. This hotel is a great middle of the road place to stay. The staff is very courteous, the rooms are clean and decent size by NYC standards and the free breakfast is a great buffet with a wide variety of choices.

On the down side, you will have to walk about 13 minutes to get to a subway (8th Ave and 33rd St is probably the closest) and restaurants can be a bit of a hike. The neighborhood is not houses and shops, it's garages, bus parking areas, etc..but it's not dangerous and if you're there for a conference at the Javits, you can't beat it.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
North Battleford, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

Our group of 7 ladies spent 7 nights in Sept 2011, we booked 2 rooms - a double room for 4 ladies and a Single Queen room + a cot for 3 ladies. Rooms were clean but very small and they have very comfortable pillow top matresses. We were very happy with what we got for the price we paid for our stay.
The staff were GREAT!!! Mike was awesome with his advice on sights and restaurants and helping us book shuttles etc..
The breakfast was decent. Eggs, bread and jams, cereal, bagels, donuts, juice. Would have been nice to have a waffle maker like some of the other Best Westerns I have stayed at.
The neighbourhood is not the most pleasant but its very safe. 1.5 blocks to a Drugstore, 2 blocks to a pizza place and 4-5 blocks from a ton of restaurants in Hell's Kitchen, 6-7 blocks from Times Square and the Port Authority.
All in all, a great place for our group to stay as we were only looking for a place to lay our heads for a few hours every night. We would book there again!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank heebs99
PEI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

This was a great hotel...the staff were fantastic, our room was small but very clean and it was only a 10 minute walk to Time Square. For the price we paid it was well worth it! We didn't see any homeless people walking to and from the hotel...at first seemed a bit sketchy but we never felt unsafe. We would recommend this hotel to friends and family and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SharonLCurrie
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

The only good thing about this place is the value you get for your money. It's very inexpensive for New York, and you can see why when you first step in.

I took a cab from the airport to get here, and I was grateful that I did not have to walk very far to get indoors. There's a gentleman's club a couple of buildings away, and lots of unsavory characters around the area, especially at night. The front desk takes a copy of your driver's license AND your credit card when you check in. The lobby is filthy. The elevator creaks a LOT and seems like it would break down during the ride.

The room was very, very small, and smelled very weird. The size of the room didn't bother me much, I didn't expect a big room in New York. But the smell got to me. The room overall wasn't filthy dirty, but not clean either. The bed was clean enough to sleep in, but it was one of those experiences where I couldn't wait to shower when I got up out of it. The desk surface was slightly greasy, like it had not been cleaned in awhile.

The front desk will not call a cab for you, you have to walk outside to call it yourself. Not a big deal, but just another thing on the list. Breakfast was included (again, the value for your dollar is great), but it wasn't exactly a healthy breakfast. I wasn't sure what I was eating half the time.

I would never stay here again, not because it was that awful, but because there are other, better hotels for approximately the same price in New York.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BostonTraveler87

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Ellicott City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

The room I had was so small that I had to step over my suitcase to get to the bathroom which was small as well. This is one of the smallest rooms I have ever staid in. I have add more room on a cruise ship than in this hotel.
The breakfast is free in the morning but they don't open until 7AM which was to late for me since I had to get to a meeting elsewhere. This is the only hotel I know of that doesn't serve breakfast at 6 or 7 AM
You have to walk at least for blocks to eat at night since they have no dining on site.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business