4,674 results
All reviews blue fin times square cool corner room living room bar bliss products new york spectacular room frosted glass trendy hotel high floor hudson river rooms are small big apple street noise central park elevator lobby
Reviewed May 2, 2017

As a background, I am a business traveler. I stay about 60 night per year in NY, mostly in 5* hotels.
For some reason, this past week, I couldn’t find any 5* hotel with a reasonable price, so I ended up at the W Times Square. I had stayed at this hotel before, and I had very low expectations, but they still managed to upset me.

In short, if you are visiting for vacation and just need a bed to sleep in, it might be suitable for you. If you are in your early 20s, you may even enjoy it. Otherwise, chances are that you will hate it.

Location: well, it’s time square. May be nice for someone who enjoys the craziness of Times Square. If you are a business traveler, you will get stuck in human and car traffic no matter what time of the day.

Room: With my low expectations, I had booked a corner room. My room was on a high floor, and I had open visibility on Hudson river. Thank God for that, because the room is so small that I would have gone crazy otherwise.

Service: Inconsistent. You may talk to someone nice, but this is a high volume hotel, and don’t expect being anything but a number. One front desk agent was quite rude to me. Others were nice. You could tell this is not by protocol, it’s just how they are. Everything is inconsistent, including what you get with your SPG Platinum voucher for breakfast. Depending on who is serving you, you will get this or that, or they may charge you nor not for one thing or another.

Concierge: One lady was nice. The others are quite useless. One of them gave me the name of a restaurant and told me to put it on my phone and find the address. A lazy version of the concierge function.

Depending on your cell phone carrier, your phone may not work anywhere in the hotel. If you are on business and you have to be on calls, well, tough! They blast music everywhere, even in the business center there is music. I asked the concierge if there is a quiet place I can capture the signal and make a call, and he told me to go to my room and use the room phone. I asked if there is a charge for that, and he said “Of course”. Basically spend $1 a minute or so to be on a 1h conference call. Nice answer.

I could go on.
As I said, younger crowd visiting NY for a weekend to party may enjoy it.
For me, I hope I will never have to stay there again.

1  Thank js_paris44
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2017

Hello js_paris44,

Warm greetings from NYC and we thank you for sharing your review. We are truly sorry for the missteps that you experienced. Our guest's enjoyment is top priority and we are disappointed to hear that this stay was less than perfect. As I’m sure you’ve discovered, each W hotel around the world reflects the locale where it is based, so we regret to learn that our style and vibe was not the perfect complement to your own, however, we appreciate this is a personal preference. We thank you again for joining us and we hope you will settle in again so that we can have another opportunity to impress.

Reviewed May 2, 2017

I have stayed at the W New York Times Square four times. You cannot beat the location and the hotel has a cool but comfortable vibe. Service has always been excellent in the past.

This time, the service was spotty. Some people were wonderful and some were not. My biggest complaint was the concierge. He was not helpful at all. His restaurant recommendations were so bad, I presume he was getting a kickback.

He booked a hair appointment for me that was cancelled and never bothered to let me know. Then he claimed he could not find another salon in Midtown??? Finally, another
concierge stepped in and booked an appointment for me right away. The key card they gave me at check-in for my room did not work. When I went to get another one at the front desk, the woman was rude and seemed annoyed. To be fair, other service people at the hotel were great. But in the past, everyone was wonderful.

I don't know if the changes can be attributed to Marriott taking over the Starwood brand or not but there is a difference. I think the hotel needs some upgrades in appearance as well. Also, in 2017 it is insane to require guest to pay for Wifi in their rooms. I hope Marriott can get it together because this property and the W brand is too great not to maintain and upgrade.

Reviewed April 29, 2017

It was probably 5 years since I stayed at the W last and I can only conclude they have probably spent their money somewhere else. Arriving late the hotel was totally cramped with teenagers as some Korean celebrity allegedly was staying in the hotel. However checked in (check in is close to the bar area where there was some kind of concert som I could hardly hear what the receptionist said) and took the elevator. Already in the elevator my gut feeling of discomfort was coming to mind. Crappy, broken lightning and generally the finish of a 1 star hotel in the backstreets of Budapest. Ok so at the price I am paying the rooms has to be nice - but NOOOO. The list of comments is so long TripAdvisor would probably ban my post for space reasons. Highlights No general lightning in the room, no desk-light to cut it short, more or less no lightning at all, in the morning with daylight I got a feeling of why. Blinds broken, aircond and heating probably 30 years old and super noisy, shower smelled of mold. Early checkout and back to the lobby just to find ONE!! staff servicng a line of guests. After 10 -15 minutes two more staff comes rushing obviously late for work as the had coats and Starbuck's muggs.

So my recommendation (Sorry Starwood and W) is stay clear of this hotel!!

Room tip: Avoid to book it
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2017

Hello Thomas A,

Warm greetings from NYC! It is always a joy to welcome loyal W guests, and we thank you for sharing your review. We are truly sorry to hear of your disappointment with the condition of your room. We do understand how frustrating it is to walk into a room that is not up to the standards you were expecting. We truly regret that this stay has tarnished your view of W Times Square. Rest assured that your comments have shared with the executive team to be certain that this does not happen again. We hope to one day have the opportunity to make it up to you and show you a true W Times Square experience.

Reviewed April 28, 2017

i have just returned from staying in the w hotel and found its location spot on and it looks very trendy but thats as far as it goes for me.

We arrived around 1300 and room wasn't available which is totally fine as it does state 1600 check in, so as it was a bit of a trip from JFK to the hotel i needed the toilet and so i went in the foyer toilet and was greeted with sick all over the urinal lovely start :|!!
It was finally time to check in and head upto our suite!! open the door to a view of dirty windows and a bathroom door which constantly hit the toilet basin everytime you needed to go in there..... strange!
Our main issue with the W hotel was the bed!!! the mattress was knackered you sank in the middle!! i brought this to the attention to 3 different hotel workers and nothing and so i decided to approach the duty manager on this! bit of a waste of time as he said they haven't got no more mattresses in the whole of the hotel also i found very strange! i even mentioned that i had to sleep on the floor because the mattress was that bad!! his only reply was ill let the general manager know, thought ok great something might get resolved now....... nope heard nothing from the general manager and never saw the duty manager again!!

Food: no idea as never ate in the hotel but I'm sure its very good but probably pricey.
Drinks: Nice looking bar and drinks were nice and hotel prices.

if i was to stay in new york and around time square i would avoid this hotel, shame as has loads of potential just poor customer service and poor cleanliness!!.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Hello Hillsy90,
It is always a joy to welcome loyal Starwood guests through our front door and we thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are elated that you you enjoyed our exceptional location and the excitement of Times Square. It is terribly disappointing to hear of the other missteps you encountered and for that we are truly sorry. We know the importance of providing a cozy space to relax and recharge when spending time in the city that doesn't sleep. We regret that you did not feel comfortable as your comfort is our top priority. We hope that you will visit us again and allow us other opportunity to impress! Until then safe travels!

Reviewed April 26, 2017

Clean room. Comfortable bed. Excellent view of Times Square. We were there 2 nights, 3 days, and the staff was always super friendly. The concierge desk staff was super helpful in helping us navigate the subway. The music and atmosphere in the lounge during the evenings was upbeat and nice. They had no problem holding our bags after check out until we were ready to leave NYC, which really allowed us to have several hours more in the city before we left. I tipped them, but they did not charge extra.

The only need to know thing is if you are booking a king bed (I booked a corner king room for me and my child) make sure it has a solid bathroom wall. Mine had a foggy glass wall that you could see through.

I would not worry about breakfast. Several places to eat just outside the hotel.

Trip type: Travelled with family