New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The St. Regis Club at the Essex House, New York

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
The St. Regis Club at the Essex House, New York
Ranked #413 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very Nice 4-Star -- But not quite a St. Regis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2005

I can't complain, and I'm not. I booked a room at the Essex house for $339 per night during the week of July 11 (good deal for that time frame) and was "bumped" to the "St. Regis Club." The St. Regis Club is basically the upper floors of the Essex House. It tries to be a separate hotel in the same way as the Tower at the Waldorf tries to be different from the Waldorf Astoria. Both are grand old hotels, but the emphasis on both is on "old."

Location: Central Park South -- really can't beat it. It's close by the Theatre District, Lincoln Center, the mid-town financial district and the near-upper East and West Sides. An oasis, especially if your room has a park view.

Room: Good size for the City. Large entry foyer made the room seem like a junior suite. Excellent Starwood "Heavenly bed." Decor and bathroom were, overall, a bit on the dated side, but quite nice. Plush bathrobes and outstanding bathroom amenities. Somewhat obstructed, but refreshing, view of Central Park.

Service: Check-in and check-out were very smooth. Lots of security by the elevator who were very good at remembering that you belonged, even if you came by sweaty and in gym clothes after they had seen you in your suit. Service at the bar was a bit spotty -- but remember you are dealing with a unionized New York work force.

Two gripes -- (1) The gym. They would like to have you believe that they have a full "spa" with complete work-out room (for which they charge you $10 per visit). This is one of the lamer exercise facilities I have come across in the last few years at a 4-star hotel, and certainly the worst one that charges you extra for the privilege of using it. It has some cardio, a few weight machines, some decent dumbells (but only one measily bench). Most newer 3-star business hotels have equipment that blows the Essex House away and they do not charge. (2) Internet access -- Really, charging for the internet at a fancy hotel is bush league these days. It's not just every budget hotel that offers free wifi hi-speed access, but in my experience, every hip up-scale hotel does so as well.

The main reason that I do not give this hotel 5 "gold dots" is that it pretends to be a St. Regis. Senator, I have stayed at the St. Regis, and you, sir, are no St. Regis. The St. Regis is a 5-star hotel in every nit-picking, over-the-top luxurious way. This hotel, while a solid 4-star, is not even close. With all due respect to Starwood (my favorite hotel chain), they are diluting their highest-end brand by labelling this as a "St. Regis."

One final note -- The Essex House is the perennial favorite of Saturday Night Live guests and alumni, so don't be surprised to encounter SNL glitterati on the elevators or in the lounge.

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
11 Thank jackosan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2005

My wife and I stayed at the St. Regis Club for the first time for six nights in May. We were quite impressed with the entire experience. Check-in was highly efficient, and we were pleasantly surprised when we entered a room that exceeded our expectations. We had reserved a large double room that turned out to be larger than advertised--really an unparitioned suite. Excellent city view, clean, quiet, very well furnished, very comfortable bed, everything worked, no signs of neglected wear, average-size but very nice marble bathroom. A family member joined us for a couple of nights, and the large and sturdy roll-away had a surprisingly thick mattress that was very comfortable. The public spaces were all pleasing. We especially enjoyed the cozy bar with fireplace. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The location, of course, is superb. This is certainly the place we will stay when we return to New York.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2005

So the upside is that the rooms are lovely, the location is great, the Alain Ducasse restaurant is stunning (even if it's bizarre not to be able to charge dinner at the hotel restaurant to one's room bill).

The downsides? Easily the worst service standards of any 5* hotel I've ever stayed in. Things not working, slow responses, laundry not returned, rude staff, incompetent billing. Just not acceptable.

• Stayed March 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank JCW

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2005

My wife and I just returned from our stay at The St Regis Club at the Essex House. It is an old world comfort station. A spacious room, in the very best location. I lived at the Essex House for four months in 2000 and it bacame my second home. Always happy to return.

• Stayed March 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank Marcmarc
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2005

Once I find a nice place to stay, I'll keep returning, as long as I feel it exceeds my expectations. That is how I feel about my recent stay at The Essex in New York City. I had read a few prior TripAdvisor reviews, and wondered if I had come to a different place. The lobby was beautiful, all staff from reception to housekeeping to the gentleman standing guard to protect you at the elevators, showed their very professional training. I was always greeted by very friendly staff with a smile. My enormous and clean room on the 10th floor overlooked beautiful Central Park The beds are Westin's Heavenly Beds and are as wonderful as their name implies. I brought my pekingese with me, and she was treated as royally as I was with her own Heavenly Pet Bed.

I have always previously stayed at The Lowell on East 63rd, but it has become a little too pricey. The Essex is in an excellent location, and if you're like me, you can walk for a few minutes and enjoy the great feel of New York City to and from this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed March 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank NASCARFLASH24
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2005

My husband and I went for Christmas and couldn't have been happier. I thought the suite was big for NY standards and the $379 we were paying during the Christmas season. Service was excellent. Everything about this hotel is old school. So if you want a bit of old NY upper east this is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2005
2 Thank CAdreamweaver
Cambridge, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2005

We stayed at the St Regis Club of the Essex House over Christmas and must say that the service was great. We had a wonderful room overlooking the park - the butler service was a nice touch! We found all the staff to be very attentive. Breakfast is expensive but there are some great cafes around the area that offer a good breakfast. They also charge for the use of the internet in the rooms at $15 for a 24 hour period which seemed expensive - especially as a lot of hotels are offering free wireless connections!

1 Thank LittleLittle