“Native NYer and its still beautiful.”

Trump Rink in Central Park
and up
Central Park TV and Movie Sites Walking Tour
Ranked #175 of 1,144 things to do in New York City
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Central park skating is still a classic though the last time I went I was 10yrs old. It is a sight to see, maybe not the glamour of Rockefeller Center, but it has a slightly more romantic and homey feel in Central Park.
There are locals and families and tourists alike, and of course the requisite kids birthday party.
The worst part is the price and the Trump name and picture all over the place. It's called Wollman Rink and just because Trump owns it doesn't mean it should feel like a giant ad campaign. His face on the bottled water they sell is creepy.
The staff is more intimidating than helpful on the ice, they probably cause more accidents than prevent them, but then again they are just kids who probably make minimum wage working for Donald.
You've got to try it once for the romance but if you really want to skate best go to Chelsea piers.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Went on December 26 so we knew it would bea little chaotic but didn't mind, it added to the atmosphere! Visiting from Australia - got the amazing ice skating experience in NY with that famous skyline in the background that we were looking for! Good locker hire and skate hire systems, some OK food avaliable (the hot dogs up at the viewing deck were yummy and much needed after an hour on the ice!).
Definitely recommend for first time NY goers! Lots of fun!

1  Thank LGF90
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I did not like it here at all. The only reason I went is because it is the famous rink in all the movies and has the pretty skyline in the background, but it was not worth it. I would have rather went to a less crowded, less known rink because I was on a budget, not planning on spending that much money and like to try new, cool places. It was $22.50 per adult if you needed skates. Then locks for lockers where $10 if you didn't bring your own. (But you did get $6 back if you returned it.) It was super crowded (but I did go on New Years Eve). The skates were in the most terrible condition I have ever seen rentals in. I couldn't even move in them. The ice keep being cleaned, but not very good. Combined with the horrible ice conditions and horrible ice skates, I couldn't even move! I'm not terrible at ice skating, but I had to hold on to someone else the entire time so I would actually move. The center was blocked off for lessons. The rink was triangular shaped, never seen that before in my life, so weird! There were referees on the ice that yelled at you for everything. Also, the rink was owned by Trump. So whenever you bought a bottled water, it had his face plastered on it...Trump water, hilarious. I will never go here again.

5  Thank HHerczak
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Tourist or local, does not matter, always fun skating in Central Park

Reviewed 14 January 2012

We went here on Christmas Day, which was great that they were open....but busy!

Queing was only about 30mins and moved fairly quickly.

You pay to skate and then a further partly refundable fee for locker rental. No cameras are allowed on the ice which is enforced by the "ice-marshalls". There is an area just before the ice where you can take photos though.

Once on the ice, keep moving, even if you are stuck to the side. You need to keep moving, a blast of a whistle from the marshalls will hurry you on.

You can skate for as long as you want as far as we could tell, although our feet gave up before our desire to skate did.

The boots hurt...especially if you've spent the holiday walking around NYC.

Our advice is to take several pairs of socks, get slightly bigger boots (you can change them easily enough if you get it wrong) and do them up tightly.

3  Thank Matt_Crudg