It pains me to say this- but I am SO disappointed in Mandarin. I think the property has incredible service0 I love the brand and LOVE the bar / bar staff especially. Rooms are small and not nearly as great as I had hoped. However my big disappointment was the Spa. I received a 90 minute spa treatment gift for my birthday (so excited!) - the price was ~$375.00 (twice the cost of most nice spas in NYC) which did shock me, but expected the value to measure up.
First off, the spa is MUCH smaller than I thought. Upon arrival, you take off your shoes in this small sterile check-in area, sit there barefoot with the little slippers, surrounded by other tourists/customers right next to you, and then 5 or so minutes later finally get to go inside. The lockerroom facilities are very small- to the point where you are very near the entrance, so if you are changing and someone walks in, there is literally no privacy whatsoever. The best part about the spa is the whirlpool jacuzzi and steamroom- great facilities that I loved. HOWEVER, the therapist I had was possibly one of the worst ever. I had to ask repeatedly for her to go deeper (the most gentle and boring massage I have ever had, and I get treatments monthly)- she never asked how the treatment was. My biggest pet peeve is having to continually ask for something, feel bad about it, and then have to ask again- I'm supposed to be relaxed and not thinking! They also use basic white towels as opposed to soft sheets/bedding, and the floor to ceiling windows makes it hard to have a nice dark room which I like during massages. Overall I am very disappointed- for that price tag I really should have walked away feeling incredible.
Equinox, just under the hotel, is half the price and has much better therapists, from what I have experienced.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A stunning fusion of modern design with stylish Oriental flair, Mandarin Oriental, New York features 244 elegant guestrooms and suites - all with breathtaking views of Manhattan and Five-Star hospitality. Luxurious amenities include Asiate, the hotel's elegant restaurant; MObar created by noted interior designer, Tony Chi; the Lobby Lounge with dramatic views of Central Park; a 14,500-square-foot, Five-Star Mandarin Oriental Spa; and a state-of-the-art fitness center with a 75-foot lap pool. In addition, there is premium meeting and event space, including a 6,000-square-foot pillar-less ballroom with three walls of windows overlooking Central Park. Located in Columbus Circle's Time Warner Center, Mandarin Oriental, New York is in an idyllic location just steps away from world-class dining, shopping and entertainment, including the Broadway Theater District, Lincoln Center, Central Park, Jazz at Lincoln Center and the Time Warner Center's collection of upscale retail shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity.ca, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, New York Hotel New York City
- Mandarin Oriental New York City
- Mandarin New York City
- New York City Mandarin Oriental