“Great bar but don't go to the Spa (very overrated)”

Mandarin Oriental, New York
Ranked #50 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Great bar but don't go to the Spa (very overrated)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

It pains me to say this- but I am SO disappointed in Mandarin. I think the property has incredible service0 I love the brand and LOVE the bar / bar staff especially. Rooms are small and not nearly as great as I had hoped. However my big disappointment was the Spa. I received a 90 minute spa treatment gift for my birthday (so excited!) - the price was ~$375.00 (twice the cost of most nice spas in NYC) which did shock me, but expected the value to measure up.

First off, the spa is MUCH smaller than I thought. Upon arrival, you take off your shoes in this small sterile check-in area, sit there barefoot with the little slippers, surrounded by other tourists/customers right next to you, and then 5 or so minutes later finally get to go inside. The lockerroom facilities are very small- to the point where you are very near the entrance, so if you are changing and someone walks in, there is literally no privacy whatsoever. The best part about the spa is the whirlpool jacuzzi and steamroom- great facilities that I loved. HOWEVER, the therapist I had was possibly one of the worst ever. I had to ask repeatedly for her to go deeper (the most gentle and boring massage I have ever had, and I get treatments monthly)- she never asked how the treatment was. My biggest pet peeve is having to continually ask for something, feel bad about it, and then have to ask again- I'm supposed to be relaxed and not thinking! They also use basic white towels as opposed to soft sheets/bedding, and the floor to ceiling windows makes it hard to have a nice dark room which I like during massages. Overall I am very disappointed- for that price tag I really should have walked away feeling incredible.

Equinox, just under the hotel, is half the price and has much better therapists, from what I have experienced.

Room Tip: Check out other 5 star hotels for much larger rooms/suites and better deals. Too expensive.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Mandarin_NYC, Guest Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, New York, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Hello clutchbomb! Thank you so much for taking the time to review Mandarin Oriental, New York. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so we can examine the issues you experienced. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at monyc-executiveoffice@mohg.com.

Mandarin Oriental, New York Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
FT.LAUDERDALE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

The lobby lounge and all rooms overlook Central Park. I believe that t he hotel STARTS on the 35th floor with all the rooms above that. I got a great top floor room with a corner view, Staff is extremely accommodating and friendly. Definitely get that "small" hotel feel as soon as you check in. Rooms are beautifully appointed with extremely large luxurious bathrooms.Great NYC location for my purposes and using the hotel"house car" several times was a great plus that I don't think many people know of. Rooms of course are VERY expensive ,even for NYC. But, you do get what you pay for!! Too many great restaurants in the city to eat in the hotel so I can't comment on that aspect. All in all. I WILL be back to the Mandarin!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank BIGPHUN
Hello Bigphun! Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, New York. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback and kind words about our hotel and staff.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

OMG - don't waste your money on this hotel. Don't get me wrong, the hotel and the rooms are nice, but ONLY nice, nothing to write home about, there are much better deluxe hotels in New York for half the price.
Rooms are typical New York size, quite small. We reserved a grand deluxe and was given a room on the 43rd floor. These rooms were very compact and quite dark, considering they boast they have floor to ceiling windows. We complained and were given a Hudson view room on the 49th floor. The view from these rooms were much better, and the bathroom was very nice - it even had a window above the bath, although you couldn't see out of it when sitting in the bath.
The bath room amenities were nothing special, and there is NO bath or shower gel, only shampoo, condition, body wash, and bath crystals for the bath. Minimum number of towels were provided - 3 for 2 adults.
The rooms do not have any coffee making facilities, and no chocolates for turn down :-(
Staff at the front desk were friendly enough, but when we had to change rooms we were told that we had to come down and get the new keys, as there was not enough staff to bring them up - so, paying $1000 per night to the hotel and they can't even provide a service!!
We had made a reservation for Brunch in the restaurant for the following Sunday. before we arrived. Upon check-in, we asked if they could check on this for us, and found that there was no reservation. The restaurant called us in our room to confirm that we now had a reservation for breakfast at 11am on Saturday - we said that we want brunch on Sunday, not Saturday. The following night (Saturday) we checked with the concierge that our reservation for Sunday brunch was all confirmed. They called back and said that our reservation was for today, Saturday, and that we never showed up....... they finally made the correct reservation - truly 5 star service don't you think?
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a nice hotel to stay at in New York.

Room Tip: Book at the W times square!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
16 Thank Zigenbock
Mandarin_NYC, Guest Relations Manager at Mandarin Oriental, New York, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Hello Zigenbock! Thank you so much for taking the time to review Mandarin Oriental, New York. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so we can examine the issues you experienced. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at monyc-executiveoffice@mohg.com.

Columbus, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here last week for a few nights with my wife while on vacation. Don't get me wrong this place is nice but so simple you miss the "WOW" effect that goes with this type hotel. Breakfast manager at "ASIATE" was on top of his game. seemed to care. Never saw another manager.
This place is all about the view which is great.The bar /lobby great view, nothing special.
If you want personal service,try the Ritz!

Room Tip: central park view will do. no need to pay for deluxe view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PHILIP W
Hello Philip! Thank you so much for taking the time to review Mandarin Oriental, New York. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so we can examine the issues you experienced. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at monyc-executiveoffice@mohg.com.

New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Friend and I were going to the New York Auto Show so we decided to spend the night at the Mandarin. I normally choose the Four Seasons when I'm in Manhattan but they don't offer double bed rooms, since we were only spending one night this was the best option for us. I've relaxed in the Lobby Lounge and eaten at Asiate before but had not actually stayed at the hotel. It was absolutely worth it! This is the third Mandarin I've stayed at in the US and was up to par with the others. The location and view is perfect here.

Excellent staff that could not have been more professional with handy house car available for the ride to the Javits Center.

The hash for breakfast at Asiate was awesome!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gary W
Hello Gary! Thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, New York. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback and kind words about our hotel and staff.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed there over new year with my girlfriend. Despite some other recommendations from friends I decided to go for the Mandarin and actually must say this was a big disappointment. I really felt not getting much for the price of the room. Even the service was not up to standards. Breakfast is one of the worst I ever had in a luxury hotel!
Having stayed at other Mandarin before I really expected something different and will surely not come back to Mandarin NYC. Prefer Peninsula or other downtown hotels should you be planning your trip.

Only good souvenir will be the SPA with very good massage! At least!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SambucaBoyNyc
Hello SambucaBoyNyc! Thank you so much for taking the time to review Mandarin Oriental, New York. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so we can examine the issues you experienced. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at monyc-executiveoffice@mohg.com.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The Mandarin is a beautiful hotel. Having lunch overlooking Central Park is amazing. The room was small but comfortable. The spa is just okay. The services are lovely, but the spa amenities are lacking. When comparing luxury I prefer The Setai the room are much bigger with espresso machines and internet included. The turn down service brought gourmet pretzels and candies. I love their spa with water lounge. Its the little things that matter. The Mandarin did not even put a chocolate on the pillow and charge for internet. I hate feeling nickel and dime-ed on my vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello jointfixer! Thank you so much for taking the time to review Mandarin Oriental, New York. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so we can examine the issues you experienced. We hope that you will reach out to us directly at monyc-executiveoffice@mohg.com.