“Authentic Italian food in NYC”
Review of Nanni Restaurant - CLOSED

Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Lexington Avenue
Transit: Grand Central Station
Reviewed August 27, 2014

My wife and I visited Nanni's on the recommendations of two people we met at the bar at the Barclay's Intercontinental. A short stroll later we walked down the stairs and were greeted by the the Host who, despite us having no reservations, found us a great table right away. Granted, it was late on a Thursday night.

The place has minimal decor but a ton of ambiance. We told our waiter what we liked (chicken for her, meat for me) and told him to surprise us. A bottle of regional red was brought over along with a perfect bruschetta. We witnessed a lot of "interaction" between the staff who had to be all from the same family.

Fresh bread came next followed by a Caprese salad. Quick service and silver and glasses were always refreshed.

Entrees arrived, my wife's being a thin sautéed chicken cutlet in a cream sauce. Mine was a perfectly cooked veal chop. Both were excellent.

Too full for dessert but that, along with coffee were offered.

Prices were reasonable. We will keep Nanni's on our short list and can't wait to share our find with family and friends the next time we are in the city.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have eaten here several times as it is located near our NYC office and always thought the food was good and it was about old school italian as it gets. I was very disappointed in my last visit, first I ordered a 2006 Brunello (great year if you can find it), the wine was brought to the table and opened right away. When I asked to look at the wine, it was a 2009, needless to say I doubt the waiters just forgot, this is not good behavior and until we asked we were going to get charged for a 2006 bottle. Why would we have to even ask, every restaurant I have ever been the waiter always points this out. I got over this in hopes that the food would make me forget the wine issue. I chalked it up to a popular Midtown eatery that does not need to try that hard, they will be busy no matter what and why not take advantage of what they thought was a tourist. Food finally came, everything was great until a huge rat ran out of the kitchen under our table and out the door. This is a small place, nobody could believe what just happened until the second one came out and hid under a wine shelf. The best part was when a cook came out with a stick and started to beat the heck out of the rat. I have never heard one scream before, but got to that night. I have no problem killing the rat, but why beat it to death while we ate. The rat was able to escape back into the kitchen. The waiters just ignored until we asked what the deal was, we were told that they were coming from construction next door. I have been around NYC enough to know the place is covered in rats, but this was a first. Great food, bad service and entertainment in the worse sense.

2  Thank gregm617
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I absolutely love this restaurant. All the food is very authentic in preparation and flavor. From the anti-pastas, to the soups and salads through all the fantastic main courses, the food just rocks! I am very fussy when it comes to Italian food and this is IT when it comes to any and all dishes on this menu. Have taken clients and friends to this place...fiendly, warm, cozy place with great service. try the Nanni's sauce!

1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We made last minute reservations prior to our show and had no idea what to expect! The experience was so nice and our waiter was so Italian we could barely understand him! He recommended a bottle of Chianti and it was perfect! The food was extremely flavorful and our Ceasar Salad was authentic and fresh. You must try the Capellini a la Nanni! Loved this place!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Just like my Nan used to make. We loved this place while working just some blocks away. Super good food and fantastic service. Charm charm charm. Happy on the way out. Full, and you know it! All old world Italian classics for the most part - well executed by a vet!