“Exceeded Expectations”
Review of Pampano New York

Pampano New York
Reserve with OpenTable
Pampano New York is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #750 of 14,725 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$80
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
Transit: 6 Train to 51st and Lexington
Description: Chef Richard Sandoval and Maestro Placido Domingo have partnered to create a Mexican escape in midtown Manhattan. Pampano’s breezy yet elegant, white on white decor showcases Chef Sandoval’s vibrant coastal Mexican cuisine. In the spring and summer, sip on handcrafted margaritas or one of Pampano's 100 tequilas on the outdoor terrace. “Best New Restaurant in America” Esquire Magazine “a clear sense of how competing flavors and textures can be orchestrated to create exciting results” New York Times – two stars “Sandoval uses European techniques to bring the vivid flavors of Mexico to life” Michelin Guide
Reviewed March 18, 2017

My sister told me she wanted to take us a to a high end Mexican restaurant. I'm not a huge fan of Mexican to begin with so I was a little dubious to start. It had a wonderful seating area on the 2nd floor, very open and airy. The wine was good, by the glass, typical NYC prices $15 a glass, give or take a dollar.

Service was wonderful, very friendly. We had a prix-fixe menu which included: Ceviche de Cameron, Mariscada and Chocoflan. To say it was deal of the century would be exaggerating a little bit. We found the portions to be perfectly sized and everything was fresh and seasoned to perfection.

They seem to be known for their seafood which I would highly recommend. For NYC I thought it was a great meal at a decent price.

Reviewed March 5, 2017

We randomly chose this restaurant while in NYC last week. Yelp pulled in a few restaurants in the vicinity and this sounded exotic. Being a sucker for mexican/LATM food I convinced others to go with me here. It was pricier than other restaurants in the area, so I was a little nervous.

While entering the restaurant, the Zagat rating on the window made me feel more comfortable about the choice. Later I found out that it is a chain by Richard Sandoval.

I landed up ordering "CHURRASCO PAMPANO" with a side of "YUCCA FRITA" with "DE TAMARINDO". The Margarita had chili in it, and on the rim, so was little spicy though it was decent. But the food was out of this world, especially the molle sauce. I am glad we went there. Not only this is on top of my list when I go back to NYC but I have to check out other Sandoval restaurants when I am traveling to other places.

Worth your time & money!!!

BTW, if you land up splitting the bill the suggested gratuity is based on the original tab not on your specific split. My co-worker tipped them over 35% without realizing this. Hence they lost a star, though they are 5 star for food and service.

2  Thank Mads I
Reviewed February 15, 2017 via mobile

Visited with colleagues that quickly turned in to friends. Menu catered for all tastes including a distrust of fish - and the mysterious "churros" were a huge find. Incredible. We ate like pigs in honor of Topaz - Jon's childhood pet/friend. The tequila menu is exhaustive - it practically runs to a second appendix. Service was first class - refreshing to dine somewhere where we are all treated as equals.

If anyone knows the location of Jon's upcoming wedding let me know.

Reviewed February 14, 2017 via mobile

I really loved this place, three times already and I enjoyed very much. The guacamole is a must, the ceviche is very tasty and we shared a mariscada and a churrasco. The food here is amazing, make sure you get dessert with a café con leche. Great service from the staffs. Ops make sure to make a reservation.

Reviewed February 11, 2017 via mobile

I've been to Pámpano several times over the years with friends, family and business associates. The quality of the food remains exceptional (love the Lobster tacos appetizer!) and there's an incredible selection of Spanish wines. Really unfortunate that they still haven't brought any Mexican wines after all these years!