“Must stop ”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Deli
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown Manhattan (Downtown)
Reviewed October 24, 2019 via mobile

We went here on a rainy Sunday and stood in line for half hour before getting in. It was packed and confusing so be ready to be patient. Cash only in the front but you can pay With card at the cashier in the back. We did not get table service, we picked up our food and sat in the back. Lots of seating. Sandwiches not cheap at $22 each. But they are massive and we shared 3 for 4 of us with fries and pickles and that was too much food and we are big eaters. We tried pastrami and the brisket and the pastrami with cheese and sauerkraut. I’ve eaten in Montreal my whole life. The smoked meat sandwiches are wonderful. This is different and probably even more delicious. The simplicity of it all and the history in the restaurant makes it worthy of stopping. Stick with the pastrami . It will blow your mind.

3  Thank orangelollypops
Write a reviewReviews (17,223)

Reviewed October 23, 2019

As a Montrealer I was really disappointed with the food. We weren't given the choice of a lean sandwich. The fries were ok. Pickles were good. But the cheesecake was a huge disappointment. Not even fresh fruit on it. And pretty boring. For 1 sandwich an order of fries 1 beer 1 wine and 1 cheesecake plus tip it came to $90+ Canadian dollars I'm just glad we shared a sandwich and didn't order 2.

2  Thank Roz-Mick
Reviewed October 23, 2019

I am visiting New York for the first time (from Scotland) and so far it has been great. Today we visited Katz for lunch and I was so disappointed at the poor service. We were directed to the counter to order, despite it being unclear that table service was an option (which we would have preferred). The guy behind the counter was so rude, barely looked us in the eye it was really difficult to see that he heard us let alone understood us. He gave us the wrong order and when we explained that it wasn’t what we had asked for he looked exasperated and tried to argue with us. We tried to be as clear as possible and it wasn’t our fault that he didn’t make any effort to listen or confirm what we had ordered. I was actually really embarrassed and could barely eat my meal. Completely ruined it and I would never go back or recommend it.

4  Thank Pamela M
Reviewed October 23, 2019

Enjoyed this deli after learning the history finally got to check it out. Tried to go at lunch 12:30 that was a mistake with a line out front down the sidewalk. I went back the next day and decided to try it for dinner around 7 and did make it inside. Very good sandwich, and staff were very cool speaking with you while making the food. I was a little surprised at the price, I took my 2 kids and for 3 sandwiches and 2 soups with drinks was over 100 bucks. I think everyone ought to go once to check it out, but the sandwiches are so big I would say get a half and leave off the soup. I couldnt finish but half of it. Cool place, lotta history, just a little pricey for a sandwich, all the delis are pretty good in NYC

2  Thank doofyduck
Reviewed October 22, 2019 via mobile

So after hearing for years about this restaurant I finally got to visit. For 1 smoked pastrami sandwich, 2 beers,french fries and apiece of cheesecake with tip was $70 U.S. if you'remember from.anywhere but montreal it was ok and filling but Montreal smoked meat and cheese cake is so much better. The restaurant was nicely decorated with lots of interesting photos but overall it is over hyped.

1  Thank Mike C