“Fantastic spot in Union Square”
Review of Union Square Cafe

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great spot for lunch or dinner with a menu that will satisfy any palate. Beef, fish or something extraordinary, you'll find it here. I had the swordfish and it was fantastic.

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stumbled upon Union Square Cafe yesterday and were pleasantly surprised with our experience. We did not have a reservation and were directed to the cafe/bar area by the friendly hostess. Our waiter was incredibly knowledgeable about every item the menu. The oysters were amazing and the s’mores pavlova was delicious. We noticed the “hospitality included” policy (ie: no tipping) and asked our server for his insights on this. Interestingly, he felt this approach selects for employees that are truly passionate about building a career in the hospitality industry. The individuals that we interacted with certainly did exude that passion and our overall experience was enhanced by it. We would definitely return.

Reviewed November 7, 2018

This was the first time that we had the pleasure of dining in the new Park Ave location - mainly because this was the first time we were able to get a reservation!

It was worth the wait. A great room, excellent menu and wine list, great food quality and outstanding service.

This was our first time in a "no tipping" restaurant and we didn't know what to expect. The results were excellent. An incredibly motivated staff giving superb service at every level - from the hostess, waiters etc.

Pricing is incredibly fair especially when you understand that there is no tipping - they offer a 3 course menu (items on the menu) for $68 which is an outrageous value.

Kudos to Danny Meyer!!

Reviewed November 4, 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately Union Square Café is not the restaurant it once was. I was thrilled back at the end of 2016 when it reopened at its new location. And the meals I ate there that first year were on a level with the old USC, the new location was larger and while not as charming as the original, no complaints. The service was, and remains, great (no tipping notwithstanding.) The problem is the quality of the food has deteriorated. What once was superb is now mediocre. I’ve been there 3 times in the last 4 months and first time I thought it was an off night. The next time I said maybe it was what I chose was the problem: the Fritto Misto was bland and the Pork Chop was both tough and bland. Last night I was there with 5 friends and we all felt it was average at best. Many appetizers, main courses and sides we ordered had far too much salt. My red snapper was unimpressive. Not bad. Just average. Similarly the banana tart I had for desert. Not bad. But not something I’d rush back for. I sense that USC has regrettably gone from a true favorite for NYC locals to an attraction for out-of-towners thrilled to get a reservation at this renown eatery. I’m sure they will continue to do well for years with their new tourist constituency eager to experience what once was great. I doubt I will be back.

1  Thank 363edwardk
Reviewed October 30, 2018 via mobile

Food was delicious. Squash tortelli was yummy but only 5 pieces in the larger entrè sized plate. Brussels sprouts as a side were delicious too. We felt VERY rushed as our waiter kept returning to our table asking us for our order but not giving us enough time to consider options. We finally asked him not to come back to our table until we called him.

Date of visit: October 2018