“Not what it used to be”
Review of Esperanto

Esperanto
Reserve with OpenTable
Esperanto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,634 of 14,664 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Brazilian, Cuban, South American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: East Village
Cross street: 9th Street
Transit: Esperanto is accessible by taking the L train to the 1st Ave. Station, the #6 train to the St. Marks St. Station or by taking the #9 Bus to the 9th St. stop.
Description: Hola! Esperanto is a fun, lively place to enjoy Brazilian and South American food and music in the East Village. Esperanto specializes in Latin American fusion cuisine while incorporating traditional, northeastern Brazilian dishes. In addition to our fusion dishes, we also offer live music every night.
Reviewed February 26, 2017 via mobile

I stopped in last night, before 6pm.
I asked for a table for two. There may have been 10 customers sitting, tops. The manager said she couldn't accommodate me although the restaurant could easily sit another 30-40 ppl, not including outside seating.
I told her that I've been coming here for over 12 years. That meant nothing to her.

Yesterday will be the last time I ever step foot in that place. To say I was shocked/taken aback was an understatement!

Amber G, Manager at Esperanto, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2017

Hello Anthony. We would like to sincerely apologize for rude service you experienced at our restaurant. We prides ourselves on providing our guests with the highest level of friendly, responsive service. Making our guests feel welcome and well cared for is our highest priority and I am very sorry that you did not experience the level of service and attention that our guests have come to expect.

Reviewed August 5, 2016 via mobile

Casual, comfy indoor or outdoor seating. Service was good. Guacamole & chips were nice, but probably not homemade. Brussels sprout warm salad was okay, as was the burger. Roasted chicken was average. Had leftovers but didn't take home. Polled the family and two said 3.5 and one said 4 stars. Left the rating at 4 though. One thing to fix, dear Esperanto, is the bathroom situation. There were two unisex bathrooms, neither of which having a mirror for touch-ups. One of the two would not lock. That's no good. Still a cute place, but we probably will not return.

Reviewed June 21, 2016

This was my first experience with a delicious Brazilian meal! The Feijoada -- pork and black bean stew -- was delicious! Be sure to put the spice topping on. We started with Mexilhoes, roasted mussels, and they were beautifully seasoned. A side of shaved brussel sprouts was a great addition. We sat outside, and it was such a pleasant way to spend a few hours with good friends.

Amber G, Manager at Esperanto, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2016

Thank you for the fabulous review! We hope to serve you again soon!

Reviewed May 2, 2016

Aside from an inexplicable five-minute gap between the arrival of my wife's caparinha and mine this was a satisfying meal. The drinks were sufficiently potent so I did not have to use the emergency rum supply in my pocket. The trio of ceviche and the special tuna ceviche were enjoyable. Good calamari and good fish and shrimp stews, using coconut milk. With coriander rice mixed in, I liked them. The crowd seemed to be a mix of families and couples. Noise level got high when it filled up - but who's listening when food is in front of me?

Reviewed April 26, 2016

Went there for dinner on a Thursday night. Outdoor seating is quite nice. Definitely try their Caipirinhas, they were delicious (and strong). I went with their special that day. Crab meat cooked with coconut milk in a banana leaf. I have to say I was quite disappointed with the flavor and rawness of the food. The plantain chips that came with the dish as well as their yucca chips were good to munch on while downing Caipirinhas but I wasn't impressed with their food overall. The live music was quite fun although a bit loud as I had to yell most of the night trying to catch up with my friend. Try it if you are in the neighborhood but don't expect great food.