“Awesome!”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Description: Doughnut Plant is the pioneer gourmet doughnut purveyor, making deliciously original doughnuts by hand, every day, since 1994.
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I had the carrot cake doughnut and it was absolutely delicious. It was wonderfully cakey and had some of the frosting cleverly injected inside. I didn't have any coffee, but my wife said it was really, really good and strong. Grab yourself a few doughnut and enjoy the indulgence!

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I'm a bit worried that people reading my reviews will see a pattern forming from my trip to New York... I pretty much ate everything, all of the time... including some amazing doughnuts from the doughnut plant. We had read some reviews of this place and thought we had to give it a go, and I'm really glad we did.

We had a "plain" vanilla doughnut which was giant and so light and fluffy inside, it was gorgeous, and we also had a creme brûlée doughnut. Initially we saw the creme brûlée doughnuts and thought hmmm, they're a bit small but I'm glad we got over the size thing and went for it because it tasted amazing! It had yummy vanilla custard creme stuff in the middle, and the outside had been covered in sugar and caramelised in the same way they do the tops of creme brûlées!

They did loads of different flavours, and if I'd had more time in New York then I would have went back and tried the chocolate doughnuts because they looked so good and rich and chocolatey and mmmmm, doughnuts!!

Reviewed 12 March 2012

This location is small but the donuts are so yummy! There are many flavors to choose from. The variety and selection are unlike any place!

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Let me start off by saying I'm not a donut fan. I can take them or leave them ... mostly leave them. But my oh my, run don't walk to The Doughnut Plant in NYC. They have two locations, one in the lower east side and a second in The Chelsea Hotel. Go to the one in Chelsea. On a recent trip with my sister, she convinced me to make a visit as she'd seen a program on The Food Network about this place. I reluctantly went along. And had my taste buds suitably impressed. There's not a bad donut in the place. Yeast, cake, all home made ingredients, all freshly made, no mass production here. Whatever suits your taste. But on my not to be missed list, the Creme Brule and the yeast Lavender Glaze if they have them. The menu changes daily. Enjoy a perfectly wonderful cappuccino or latte, sit down, relax and say good-bye to Krispy Kreme in the rearview mirror.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Yes, the place is pricey. I paid $4.50 for one doughnut and a bottle of Poland Spring water. But the doughnut was really good. I tried the hazelnut (yeast style) and my friend got a creme brulee one. We both agreed they were excellent. Basically, it's an every now and then treat, not a regular stop.

They're opening a cafe next door, which would be nice. The place is really small, and there are only a couple places to sit. The location on 23rd is a bit bigger, and more decorated. I imagine they're going to do something like that to this one, but honestly I have no idea. I'll have to go back when it's done and check it out!