“Great birthday dinner while visiting NYC!”

Gallagher's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Gallagher's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 15,923 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$50 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: A, C & E trains to 50th Street and 8th Avenue, 1 train to 50th Street, and N, R & W trains to 49th Street.
Description: Gallaghers Steakhouse is an American steakhouse established in New York City in 1927. Located just steps from the dazzling lights of Broadway and the pulsing energy of Times Square, Gallaghers Steakhouse takes its rightful place at the very heart of New York City. For over 87 years, this is where the city's sports teams have announced their wins, where celebrities take their bows, and Wall Street titans toast their deals. With its trademark combination of the best USDA prime dry-aged steak, a classic cocktail list, and a wait staff that never forgets a name, Gallaghers serves up an authentic New York City experience you'll savor for years to come.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We went back and forth about which steak place to try while we were in NY and finally settled on Gallagher’s!

We visited on a Wednesday evening at 7:30 for my husband’s birthday. He and I shared the porterhouse, while our daughter got the filet mignon. All of it was melt-in-your-mouth delicious — though it did seem overpriced comparatively.

The most interesting thing was that I had noted on our OpenTable reservation that we would be there for a birthday, but we didn’t say anything to the servers about it once we were there. Even so, they brought out a free dessert for my husband and sang to him — completely unexpected! Great, high-end service.

This place is upscale and swanky and a fun place to people-watch, too!

Would recommend!!

Date of visit: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (4,416)

Reviewed April 3, 2018

If you love steak, you must dine at Gallagher's. Steaks are prepared perfectly. In all the years I have been eating at this restaurant, I have never been disappointed. Not for those who like their steak well done. Side dishes must be shared. Too much for just one person. Service is outstanding and attentive.Not inexpensive, but worth the price.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed April 3, 2018

I think we eat here every time we are in NY for shows. We try to come 2-4 times a year depending on what's playing and what we want to see.
The beef is magnificent! I dabble with thoughts of other cuts but in the end I order the Rib Eye and have yet to be disappointed!
This trip our server,Adam, and his assistants did a terrific job of looking after us! Attentive but not hovering. we've had Adam before as our server and were delighted to see him again. We casually mentioned it was our anniversary.Adam had a small confection delivered with vocal accompaniment. Nice touch!
Conveniently located to the theatre district. Gallaghers has been around a long time and is fast becoming a favorite of ours and family.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

This steakhouse is very special, the meat was perfect and all the side dishes too. The place is fantastic and recalls the traditional American steakhouse, if you want to eat meat, this is the perfect restaurant to do it. It isn’t very cheap but is worth!

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed April 2, 2018

Enjoyed dinner here last week while in NY for several days. Nothing really sets this place apart from other high ends in the area that I can tell. Have tried Sparks and Keens as well. Good cocktails, food was really good. A little disappointed in our sides....had the special of the night, mac and cheese, and it was a little runny for my taste. Not quality that I would expect at a place like this. The creamed spinach was really good taste however was luke warm upon arrival. Steak (filet) was really good and cooked perfect. Crème Brule dessert was one of the best I have had. I would come back here again because I enjoy the setting and like these type of steakhouses, but might try another one in the city first. It seems to be this way at a lot of NY restaurants and not just Gallaghers, but I don't really enjoy how close the tables are at a lot of area restaurants. We were a party of 2 but sat right in between 2 other tables and it felt like we were a party of 6. Barely enough room to walk in between the tables.

Date of visit: March 2018