“OK at best”

Ranked #545 of 15,860 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$21 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: NoMad
Cross street: Park and Lexington
Transit: Subway line: 6 to 28th Street and Park Avenue South
Description: Founded by Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, Blue Smoke celebrates the diverse culinary traditions of the American South with a range of soulful barbecue classics alongside revived family recipes and new favorites from Executive Chef Jean-Paul Bourgeois. An all-American beverage menu complements the Southern cooking with a wide range of whiskeys, wines, cocktails, and craft beers from coast to coast. The internationally renowned club Jazz Standard, located below the flagship restaurant in New York City’s Flatiron District, offers drinks, snacks, and dinner from Blue Smoke.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Let me start off by saying my husband and I have been there at least 15 times over the last 10 years, even bringing big groups of people a few times. We always raved about the food, the Mac and cheese especially. They always had the best Mac and cheese in our eyes... until the ones we were served last night. Last night we decided we will never be back.

We arrived and the first thing we noticed was they changed the menu... again. We have seen many menu changes over the years but the restaurant always kept around our favorite items, fried chicken, biscuits and Mac and cheese.

We noticed they changed the fried chicken dinner plate from giving 2-3 pieces to now giving a whole fried chicken. We tried to order the fried chicken but we were told they sold the last chicken as our waitress was putting in the order. It was Saturday night but still we were not too happy. This had never happened before.

We settled for an order of the pork rinds for appetizer, a half pound order of the 5 pepper brisket, and 4 bones of the Beef Ribs, with 2 sides of Mac and cheese.

Pork Rinds were hard, stale and not edible, we left the entire order. The quantity of the meat was fine for 2 people. We left full. The brisket was tender and tasty but was a bit dry and fatty. If it wasn't for the bbq sauce I wouldn't have been able to finish it. The beef ribs were big, meaty, tender, tasty and juicy. The Mac and cheese that landed was nothing like what Blue Smoke used to serve. It was not creamy, the noodles changed and the top wasn't broiled and crispy. It tasted and looked like boxed Mac and cheese. We were so disappointed.

Service, as always, was nothing special. Prices are expensive. Yesterday's dinner was pricey and the food was not worth the hefty price tag. In the past, it was always a little expensive but we always felt the quality was worth the splurge.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were seated promptly. The menu was explained. Entrees and side are served "family" style on a simple tray. The smoked chicken and salmon that we ordered was well cooked and flavorful. The fries were mediocre. The salads were good and the Key Lime Pie was worth the visit!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I took my boyfriend out for dinner on his birthday. The food was great you must try the buffalo wings with the bama sauce that's short for Alabama sause. I love the hot chips. They were warm and tasted fresh. The mac and cheese was ok. I was looking for a southern mac and cheese but it was ok. The waitress was really good and patient with us. I definitely want to go back because I heard some good things about their beef. I definitely recommend ohh and the biscuit is soooooo delicious I loved it

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

In the flatiron district was nice to find a very solid BBQ place we had the smoked tri-tip with green salsa and an exceptional bottle of Californian red.

Sides were of high standard.

Very good restaurant and would recommend

Reviewed October 7, 2018

You can enjoy the Blue Smoke as a stand alone meal or as a meal that proceeds the jazz show. The dishes are excellent and the service is really attentive !!