“Must go ”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

This is a must-go to place if you are in NYC. Don't get scared off by the lines or wait. Everything moves quickly. Get the corn beef, pastrami or brisket sandwich. My mouth is watering thinking about it!

There are newer reviews for The Carnegie Deli

Reviewed 14 January 2017

I'd read about how good Carnegie Deli was and that there are often queues outside just to get a table. So we went one evening when there were no queues and just a handful of people waiting to get seated.

Overall, given the massive choice of delis in NYC, I have to say that this one didn't do anything for us. We both had sandwiches but they were plain and hard to get through. The tuna sandwich can't be faulted for the amount of tuna it contained, but that's all that was in it and eating large amounts of tuna isn't easy. However, I was most disappointed with the cheesecake. I've eaten loads of baked cheesecake at home and in NYC. This was not brilliant. It was okay. But definitely not, in my opinion, worth the raving I've seen about it.

One other point that kind of niggled while we were there was that we had a pretty sarcastic waiter. He wasn't funny, didn't have particularly good service skills (though I got the feeling that he thought he was wonderful).

So, when I'm next in NYC, I'll be choosing another deli to go to!

Reviewed 7 January 2017

We waited in line outside the deli for about half an hour and hadn't moved as much as we hoped. We changed our plan and ordered our food to go. It was prepared promptly and worked out well for us. Be forewarned, however, order half what you want and still have leftovers!

Reviewed 5 January 2017

Waited two hours to get in. Then waited another 30 minutes inside. Once seated waited 20 minutes. When we asked waiter for water (we were famished.. it was 8 pm and we had traveled to city that evening), he said he would bring some over in 10 minutes. Okay let's just say I don't know how a business can be run like this with no attention to customer service especially after you have your guests waiting in line for over 2.5 hours. Regardless, the helpings were huge. The pastrami sandwich was good and the potato latkes were good.... nothing was great. I like Katz's deli better (food and atmosphere) and Junior's cheesecake is much better.

Reviewed 4 January 2017

Having sampled all of the "Jewish" deli's over the years multiple times, it was sad to experience the last of the "Big Two" on its last nights. With the Stage gone since 2012, Carnegie was the last hold-out for the theater-goer. Yes, the portions have shrunken considerably (the current Woody Allen was the size of the old individual pastrami or corned beef sandwiches) while the prices have grown some (shrinkflation+inflation) but the fare is still tasty decades on. The pastrami and corned beef are still the standard bearers - cheesecake, soup, and knishes are the second line defense. Another icon has fallen and no, the outpost franchises and mail order are no substitutes in either food or ambience. Just as there's only one French Laundry or Bocuse, there's only one Carnegie- RIP - all good things do come to an end.