“Good food!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 24 May 2017

Good experience! Food was wonderful. The price is a bit high. But honestly we expected it to be pricey. The helpings of food are very large. Two of us ate off one order and still could not finish the food. They do charge you something like 3 or 4 dollars to share a plate. Glad we went and I can say I ate there.

There are newer reviews for The Carnegie Deli

Reviewed 21 March 2017

We had to queue for half an hour or so to get in and get a table. The table is tiny and you are sitting touching elbow to other diners. But the food was totally amazing! Piles of delicious meat in sandwiches, I love it! There is no way I could eat 1 portion by myself so hubby and I shared 1. Such a different dining experience that you can only find in NY!

Reviewed 2 March 2017

A delis in NYC are interesting, service is quick, food selection, and expensive. I always love the sandwiches and soups, i.e., lox on bagels, pastrami on rye, and chicken soup. Their sandwiches can be ordered as gargantuan combos or open faced, go for it! You only live once in NYC deli land. I enjoyed the hot pastrami sandwich. They also have a dish for non-meat eaters.

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

This is a must-go to place if you are in NYC. Don't get scared off by the lines or wait. Everything moves quickly. Get the corn beef, pastrami or brisket sandwich. My mouth is watering thinking about it!

Reviewed 14 January 2017

I'd read about how good Carnegie Deli was and that there are often queues outside just to get a table. So we went one evening when there were no queues and just a handful of people waiting to get seated.

Overall, given the massive choice of delis in NYC, I have to say that this one didn't do anything for us. We both had sandwiches but they were plain and hard to get through. The tuna sandwich can't be faulted for the amount of tuna it contained, but that's all that was in it and eating large amounts of tuna isn't easy. However, I was most disappointed with the cheesecake. I've eaten loads of baked cheesecake at home and in NYC. This was not brilliant. It was okay. But definitely not, in my opinion, worth the raving I've seen about it.

One other point that kind of niggled while we were there was that we had a pretty sarcastic waiter. He wasn't funny, didn't have particularly good service skills (though I got the feeling that he thought he was wonderful).

So, when I'm next in NYC, I'll be choosing another deli to go to!