2 people are viewing this hotel
C$408
No prepayment needed
Vio.com
C$334
All reviews rooms are small landmark diner great location new york great shower few blocks front desk staff mini fridge hotel room subway station floor nyc broadway
Selected filters
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights. The rooms were clean and well equiped (iron, phone, tv, hairdryer, safe). The location is really great, good subway options and shopping nearby. The doubles are small, so 3 in a room is too tight. For the price its a good option, to stay in such a great location, as space in NY is always at a premium. Staff couldn't be more helpful and the rooms were serviced daily. Aircon was cold but hard to regulate. Wi-fi just introduced.

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed here rather than a midtown hotel because a friend was having a special event just a couple of subway stops away. On the plus side, this hotel is on the less expensive side for NYC, has large new bathrooms and awesome showers, nice bath toiletries, ample nice towels, and everything was very clean. The desk staff also were friendly and smiling. Location is fairly decent, as it's close to little shops and restaurants and a subway is 2 blocks away, although I would prefer to stay closer to the subway since 2 fairly unpopulated blocks are pretty long and dark at night.

On the minus side, the room and its furnishings were kind of old and dingy. I didn't mind the room being small - I don't need a lot of space to shower and relax in my comfy bed for a couple of nights when I spend my days elsewhere. But the walls were a slightly grimy-looking beige, the door was institutional gray, the desk and wardrobe looked about 25 years old and the air conditioning unit even older than that. I wished the room looked a little more spruce since the old rooms didn't seem to fit very well with the shiny modern lobby. The AC did work as far as cooling the room and I guess I should be grateful for that, but the control for the AC was slightly wonky and I could not get the fan to reliably turn off resulting in the room getting very freezing during the night (and no extra blanket in the room). Also slightly wonky were the in-room safe, which worked but you sometimes had to enter the code 4-5 times to get it to lock, and the flush mechanism on the toilet, which had to be held down to flush and which occasionally made a very loud dying cow noise. I was glad I was traveling alone because the noise would have woken up anyone trying to sleep in the next room had I flushed in the night. My room had a window...that looked out on a ginormous piece of building equipment, so no points for a view. They did provide a bathrobe to use in the room but its belt was missing, so it was a bit hard to use it.

Finally, I have to echo the person who said the staff didn't really check to see if the people coming in and out had a key. The outside door is not locked, there is no doorman and the staff including the night staff seem pretty young and not like they could stop anyone from going upstairs anyway. You are also not required to use a key to make the elevator stop at your floor, meaning that anybody can pretty much come in and wander around, which given that it's NYC makes me a little nervous.

For the price it wasn't a bad deal considering I spent most of my time out of the room, but I'd probably scout around for more options next time, unless the rooms are overhauled and modernized.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Bunnydots
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I stayed at the Solita Soho in a Double room with a friend. It was small, but clean comfortable and modern. Really great location in between Little Italy and Soho and near China Town, Canal Street and the Subway. The staff is very nice and the French Cafe Parigot next store is lovely. I will definitely stay here again!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2010

The Solita, like most boutique hotels, is a renovated hotel with very small rooms. The room was clean, and modern with a comfortable bed an soft linens. The bathroom was a little more spacious. The problems - the air conditioning unit was so close to the bed with no way of adjusting the vents, so we had to cover part of it with a towel to be comfortable. The bathroom door was a squeaky pocket door that was not convenient, and the sink for some strange reason was really high. The location right by Little Italy, Soho, Chinatown and the metro is the best thing going for this place

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank dianerad
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I stayed four nights at this hotel with my daughter, mother and ex-wife. It's very well located, close to Little Italy, Canal Street and the Subway. Service is perfect, staff is nice and very helpful. Rooms are clean, of good taste and efficient but they are very small compared to "out of New York" hotels. I understand that space is limited in the city so I'm not complaining, but it was very tight for four people in two beds. A/C was working well in a New York heat wave. Parking is available nearby but at New York prices ($ 38.00 a night). The hotel is very well run and welcoming and the staff is really excellent. The hotel being very small (42 rooms), don't expect a pool, a healthclub and room service.

I will definitely stay there again, the place being so great and the neighborhood is nice.

Date of stay: July 2010