“Rivington is great after all.”
Review of Hotel on Rivington

Hotel on Rivington
Ranked #180 of 466 Hotels in New York City
San Diego
“Rivington is great after all.”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Rivington the first week of this month. It didn't start out so promising. First of all, we thought the lighting was too dim. We could hardly see anything! After a day and night, I finally figured out that there is a tiny switch next to each light switch, which is the dimmer. It just had to be turned up. It would be nice if the bellhop would show this to new guests.

Then, the service was slow to nonexistant. Our refrigerator stopped working, and the staff said no one could fix it until late the next morning. They did put some food we had bought in the hotel kitchen refrigerator.

The second day our room was still not made up when we returned late in the day. As we were waiting in the hotel lobby for our room to be cleaned, we were greeted by the new general manager, Marcanthony. He listened to our complaints, said he would take care of things, and comped us breakfast for the next morning (which was delicious, by the way).

After that, everything improved 100 percent. Service was immediate, our refrigerator was fixed, and we set about really enjoying the hotel. The beds have temper pedic mattresses, which are wonderful. My daughter's favorite thing is the steam shower room, and there is a huge tub as well. The room is spacious.

As for the street noise, there is some. We were on the third floor. It was only really bad on Saturday night. I had earplugs, so, no problem. The rest of the week, it isn't that bad.

I would recommend this hotel, and I'm pretty sure we will stay here again on our next visit to NYC. The location is great, if you love the LES, which we do.

Room Tip: If you like steam showers and large bathtubs, this is the place.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jellish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
montreal
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just got back from a weekend here and I had such a great time that i had to write a review as soon as possible.
Let me start by saying that the staff here are SUPERB. It was a weekend for my birthday on the 3rd of feb, my husbands on the 5th, and we were also belatedly celebrating our 5th anniversary. The concierge, Cristina, went above and beyond helping us to plan dinners, and, much to our delight, managed to upgrade us to a high corner king. As the other reviews mentioned, this room is fantastic with superb views and an incredible soaking tub. What a treat! But did she stop there? No! A complimentary bottle of wine and red velvet cupcakes awaited us!
What a sweetheart

• Stayed February 2012
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I've stayed at the Hotel on Rivington a few times, and I'm finally taking the time to write a review!

First of all, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, including the concierge, who has never steered me wrong! I've always received great ideas on where to eat (ended up at Sauce, which was such a surprising treat!) and where to get a good 4 mile jog in (East River).

The hotel itself is still super chic and comfortable - I LOVE the mattress, seriously wish I had purchased one of them instead of the new overly expensive mattress we recently bought. The views from my corner room on my latest trip were incredible as always, and make the space a perfect place to spend an evening catching up on work with a glass of wine in one hand. It's the kind of hotel I honestly look FORWARD to coming back to after a full day of business trip meetings.

The staff was incredibly accommodating on my most recent trip, hence my desire to finally write the review they deserve! I held a bunch of interviews at the hotel, and they kindly allowed me to use the conference room space for a few hours while it was empty, and then I relocated to the quiet, comfortable, cool second-floor lobby for the remainder. The complimentary coffee is a major plus!

Breakfast at Co-op is consistently great. I opted for an omelet both days and attempted the NY Post crossword (a copy of the paper is left at everyone's door, which is amusing!).

I love the little touch of fresh homemade cookies by the bed in the evenings, possibly most of all!

I'll be back and will continue to make this my NY hotel of choice!

Room Tip: Corner - truly the definition of a "room with a view"
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I spend one night at the Hotel on Rivington last summer. I got an exceptionally low rate through Jetsetter so I stayed at a corner suite. It was big, with a separate sitting room and amazing views all the way up to the Empire State.

The hotel is trendy but it's starting to age. As I said I had a nice, large room with floor-to-ceiling windows but it was plainly dirty; I even found toe nails in the carpet -disgusting. As I was staying only one night I preferred not to complain. The bathroom was comfortable although the shower also had floor-to-ceiling windows that might be intimidating for some.

Location is not great but there're some shops nearby and a subway station less than two blocks away. I might stay here again if I get similar rates (around 100 usd in July 2011!) but I would never pay the ordinary fare for this place. Staff is friendly.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are big and have nice views
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank MartinAdrogué
London, UK
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We recently hosted our wedding at the Hotel on Rivington and stayed in the hotel the week before and a few days after we got married. The view, location and 'vibe' are undeniably fantastic. The fabric of the building is on its way to becoming pretty tired but it is sleekly styled. We had mixed experience with the front desk and reservations team and a fairly awful experience with the event staff. While the front desk was generally responsive and helpful, in the six nights we stayed there the groom's luggage went missing and our marriage documentation got thrown out by housekeeping. The event staff were extremely difficult to deal with in the run up to the event, completely unresponsive to both phone and e-mail. At no point did any one in the hotel (front desk, events, management) acknowledge that we had chosen to spent and extraordinarily special period of our lives (and, for us, an extraordinary amount of money) at the Hotel on Rivington and a tasteful touch like a congratulatory note or fruit plate would have been a small touch that went a long way. While it is a neat hotel in a great location with fine service, our overall impression was terrible and we won't be going back to celebrate our anniversaries..

Room Tip: The highest floor you can afford. This hotel is all about the view and if you're down on the st...
2 Thank NYLON2008
Granada Hills
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Don't let the beautiful website pictures fool you. We just got back from New York and stayed at Hotel on Rivington for New years. We booked the hotel a month prior based on what we saw online, we called the hotel and booked a high floor suite with a a view and balcony. We arrive and check in, walk into the room we were paying 500 a night for and it was horrific. The room was tiny and it barely fit the bed that took up 85 percent of the room. We were furious and went downstairs. After going back and forth with front desk they finally moved us to the room we asked for.

After getting into our room we start hearing our toilet flushing by itself and making noises. We call and they come up and "fix it". The following morning we are getting ready and toilet starts making noises again but this time water starts gushing out of the tank flooding our bathroom. We call downstairs and they came up and fixed it. Not once does anyone call to apologize for any of the inconveniences that occurred.

For what we paid we could have stayed at wayyyyyyyy better hotels.

Room Tip: Don't settle if it's not the room you book.
7 Thank sty56416
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Stayed at Hotel on Rivington on New Year's Eve. Hotel is in the Lower East Side which people generally either love or hate. There are lots of bars and restaurants nearby, including the great WD-50, and it's an easy walk to all the shops and galleries around Prince and Houston.

We got to the hotel at about 12:30pm, but our room wasn't ready (check in isn't until 4pm), no big deal as we had some shopping to do and were told the hotel would call us when the room was ready. At 5:30pm we were back at the hotel, and the room still wasn't ready, we had to wait another 45 minutes to get into our room. We had late dinner reservations as it was New Year's Eve, but normally not being able to check in until after 6pm would be frustrating.

The room itself was great, quite a large size for Manhattan. We had a corner king with a balcony and views of Brooklyn bridge in one direction and Empire State in the other. The bathroom had a very large soaking tub and a huge walk-in shower. As mentioned in a number of other reviews, one of the shower walls has see through glass on the top, so it's not for everyone. The bed was comfortable and no signs of bed bugs! We called Reception to get some ice (there aren't any ice machines) and waited, and waited and waited some more. We call again, went for coffee, and still no ice delivered. We went down to Reception to request some ice and was told 'someone just left to deliver it'. 15 minutes later the ice was finally delivered. Service doesn't seem to be a high priority at this hotel.

We booked the hotel through a third party site and got a good price, but when we went to check-out the hotel tried to charge us the full price. Overall I would stay here again when coming into the city for a night, but I wouldn't recommend it for tourists coming for a longer stay. One final note, you hear quite a bit of noise in the rooms (we were on the 14th floor).

Room Tip: Corner king with a balcony. Request as high a floor as a can if you are a light sleeper.
1 Thank nj_traveller16