“Expensive Tapas”
Review of Toro

Toro
Reserve with OpenTable
Toro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,085 of 14,913 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$21 - US$35
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Meatpacking District
Description: Authentic Barcelona-style tapas by James Beard Award-winning Chefs Ken Oringer & Jamie Bissonnette in New York City's West Chelsea. Highly rated by the New York Times, Toro stays true to the intimate style of Spanish small plates, delivering honest and thoughtful dishes in a fun and upbeat dining room. The restaurant also offers a gorgeous private dining space. Toro has a sister restaurant that opened in 2005 in Boston that continues to draw local crowds and out of town guests 7 days a week. In 2016, the group is also joined by a Toro outpost in Bangkok, Thailand.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Heard a lot about Toro and the food was ok but it's quite expensive for the amount served up. The tortilla was nice but it was a tiny wedge a bit more than 2 mouthfulls. The bikini sandwich with manchego and truffle oil was overcooked and again small. The eggplant was soft and tasty and the croquettes were ok. At the prices I was expecting special and it was not. Better elsewhere.

Tororestaurant, General Manager at Toro, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Hi Larry,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. Apologies in not meeting your expectations. I have spoken to the kitchen regarding the bikini sandwich and tortilla portion. We take guest feedback very seriously and will take all of this into account.

Although we have a tapas driven menu, I have full confidence that next time you are in you will leave satisfied! Our quality, portions and experience go hand in hand. I would like to welcome you back in to ensure next time you come, we not only meet your expectations we exceed them.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly or ask for me upon your return. - rebecca@toro-nyc.com

Best,
Becca

Reviewed March 9, 2018

Simply a fantastic meal! Started with the service. Wasn't too familiar with Spanish tapas or the full selection of Spanish wines but the sommelier was energetic and glad to talk us through the options and then help us select a beautifully smooth Rioja. Perfect. Our server was just as friendly and helpful without an ounce of condescension. Loved that. We stated with the Pan Con Tomate and the Croquetas de Bacalao which were salt cod fritters in a lemon and honey aioli. Amazing! Followed that with a selection of Spanish cured meats - Jamones! Then the Iberico Pluma a la Plancha which was a melt in you mouth Iberian pork shoulder in a delicate tamarind sauce. Each course was better than the last. Ended the evening with a chocolate and Ice cream dish that I don't remember the name of but it was just what we needed to round out the meal. So many things I wanted to try so we will definitely be going back soon. I suggest booking a table at your earliest convenience and spending a couple hours in epicurean delight!

Tororestaurant, General Manager at Toro, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2018

Hi Rod,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate the feedback. So happy you had a great time. You had the chocolate cremeux with olive oil ice cream for dessert. It is definitely a favorite! Next time your in you should try the bone marrow, gambas and lamb merguez! They are awesome!

Look forward to welcoming you back! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me next time you want to come in.

All the Best,

Rebecca

Reviewed January 13, 2018

This restaurant hosted a dinner which was part of a symposium I attended nearby. The symposium organizer rented the restaurant. Food and drink flowed freely. Being a tapas restaurant, many of the dishes were meat/fish-based, however, a couple of us asked for all vegetarian plates and the chef obliged with some really interesting dishes. The service was tremendous! I expect that I could not afford to wine and dine at this restaurant at the level we experienced. It is in Manhattan.

Tororestaurant, General Manager at Toro, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2018

Hi Lorne,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We are happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience. We would love to welcome you back! It is Manhattan but our prices aren't scary, I promise!

Don't hesitate to reach out to me directly upon your return!

All the Best,

Reviewed December 25, 2017

Last week I had the pleasure to going to Toro for a company event. The company I work for had a private party there. My experience was terrific! The food and service were excellent. The staff welcomed us warmly and everyone who served us greeting us with big smiles. One of the guests at my table had very special dietary needs and the chef prepared food just for her. The bartenders were great and the drinks were delicious.
The restaurant holds a big group very comfortable. We were over 100 and did not feel crowded during the social hour or during dinner. I enjoyed being served family style. This way every guest got to sample a lot of delicious choices.
I will definitely go back to Toro the next time I am in NY City. I want to try the tapas!

Hi Rephraim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We are beyond happy you had a wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in our Main Dining Room this time around.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly upon your return so I can say hello!

All The Best,

Reviewed December 23, 2017 via mobile

I’ve had lots of authentic Spanish food whenever I visited Madrid this last year and was excited to try a Spanish restaurant in NYC. I really loved the ambience of the restaurant and the cocktails were really great. We ordered pan con tomate and pimientos del padron as an appetizer which were delicious. For the mains - we had the gambas al ajillo, which wasn’t my favorite - didn’t taste a hint of the ajillo (garlic), the patatas were a bit dry but I did ask our server to bring us extra spicy tomato sauce and that made it a whole lot better. She was also very quick to do so. Loved the service. We also had the paella de la huerta. The half portion is perfect for sharing.

Hi Samantha,

Thank your for taking the time to leave us a review! It means so much. We are happy to hear that overall you had a wonderful experience.
We would like to welcome you back to Toro and ensure you enjoy all the dishes upon your return! We have spoken to the kitchen team in regards to your comments and will make changes in all aspects we see necessary.

Don't hesitate to reach out to me directly in regards to your next visit!