“A gem in the city ”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 4, 2017 via mobile

The reviews don't do this place justice. If I could give 6 starts I would. Great food, some of the best I've ever had. Great atmosphere and service. I'll come back as many times as I can while in NYC. Thank you guys!

Reviewed April 3, 2017

I love Umi. The sushi is always fresh, high-quality, and reasonably priced. I get take out and dine in. It's a narrow space, but goes fairly far back. Sitting at the sushi bar is always great, too. Highly recommend to anyone looking for good sushi for dine in / take out without breaking the bank.

Reviewed March 24, 2017

I visited for the first time (E 31st St location) as I was staying nearby. What a find! Inexpensive, excellent quality (the sashimi was melt-in-the-mouth) and charming service. I will go back to try out their bento box meals which looked really interesting. Agedashi tofu was very light and nice with a nice dashi sauce. Wine is very reasonably priced.

Reviewed March 19, 2017 via mobile

The electric green color of the "wasabi honey sauce" served with seared tuna slices was a warning. The sauce tasted neither like wasabi, nor like honey, and looked flat out scary. I was glad to find naruto (the riceless rolls wrapped in fresh cucumber) on the menu, but the one I ordered lacked crispness and instead of, as usually, refreshed and hungry for more, it left me regretful and worried about my stomach. It was the first time ever when sitting at a sushi bar, with all the fish in front of me I was not salivating. Yes, I walked in after 10pm and the place was closing at 11pm (I was not the only customer) but that's not an excuse to make the food taste like parodies of what it should be. The walls need some serious tender loving care (two coats of fresh paint, e.g.), the floor -- a serious scrubbing, and the waitress some training in attentiveness.

Reviewed March 8, 2017 via mobile

Excellent fresh sushi. Large selection of the simple to complex and creative sushi. Lovely presentation. Attentive service. Several other well prepared dishes. Kimchi soup with meat or fish appropriately spicy. Fried salmon skin salad also tasty. Portions fine. Sushi not inexpensive but standard for the area. Will go back.