“Don't bother - they don't seem to care”

Gramercy Park Hotel
Ranked #91 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 April 2012

It started with the arrival. After a long transatlantic flight you would hope that your room is ready by 2pm. Clearly it was not, which happens but the real disappointment was the incompetent approach to managing this situation. All the girl behind the reception offered was to take my mobile number and give me a call when the room was ready, but she wouldn't say if this was going to be 15min or 2 hours! They only offered to store our luggage after we suggested it and it was put onto a luggage trolley and left in lobby until I insisted a couple of times for it to be removed to a safe area. Never were we offered a drink or a table at the bare or any other form of courtesy and they effectively showed us the door by suggesting that the neighbourhood offered nice walks.

The room could not make up for the poor experience we had upon arrival, actually it amplified our dissatisfaction. It is not the small size of the room or the lack of natural light that threw me - I have been in NYC hotels before after all. It was the shabby, stained furniture, with marks all over them, the lack artificial light, that really surprised me (I am a regular traveller and stay in hotels 1-2 nights a week), as it did not even reach 4-star level in my view. Further, I am the only guy in the world travelling with appliances such as mobile phones, tablets and PCs? The room did not have a spare socket, other than in the bathroom. So I had to choose whether I wanted to use the lamp on the desk or the charge my phone and camera and I found myself moving furniture and tracing cables and leads to their origin. The worst however was the noise coming from the AC - if you want to cool your room it is like a 747 is landing in the room. I don't believe that I have ever experienced so much ambient noise in any hotel I have ever stayed in.

There are also a number of small details, which to me demonstrate that the hotel staff does not seem to care. Such as blinds which do no longer role down, a king bed-room where there is only one bathrobe in the bathroom etc.

On saturday morning we where up early, clearly jet-lagged and kept awake by the AC, which we never managed to turn-off completely, and we arrived at the restaurant at 7.20am, to find out that the 5-star Gramercy Hotel does not provide for guests before 7.30am. I hoped that the staff, who seemed to have the restaurant ready, would be able to let us sit already and have a cup of coffee, but they turned us away - we were clearly an inconvenience for them.

And did I mention that the roof terrace was closed for renovation during our stay? Clearly nobody bothered to tell us during the reservation nor during check-in. We were really glad to leave on Monday morning and at the check-in the girl did not even ask if I had enjoyed the stay - clearly they don't care.

Do yourself a favour and send you money with people who do.

2  Thank Richard v
Write a ReviewReviews (1,489)

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Beautiful hotel, greatly decorated with wonderful art. Amazing terrace where breakfast is served, really cozy rooms with top quality beds. A bit uninspired staff, not really giving a damn when we had complaints about a 'complimentary breakfast' being nothing but coffee in a paper cup. That would be my only real complaint, it's quite low value (Internet is being charged for, usd20/day! In a five star hotel, with five star pricing), and the service is not at the level you'd expect, but we might return anyways, just enter the lobby, the way it smells.. the feeling of that great room, the whole hotel has that feeling and it's something you'd want to return to.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I just stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel for one night. I have to say I enjoy the small Boutique feeling this hotel offers. From the Minute I check in I was greet with warm welcome feeling from the staff at the front desk.

I do plan to return to this hotel next month end of May thur June 7 2012
I am sure I will have another great experience and top service.

My room was facing the park and enjoy the comfort from the bed to the food offered

I would suggest this hotel to friends and family

Room Tip: Park View is the best !
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 April 2012

As a couple who'd been missing each other this was the perfect place to spend a long and lazy weekend. The suite was fantastic, well appointed and decorated with good lighting and environment.

Certainly expensive but worth it for the experience. Location is great and the staff were extreamly professional and friendly.

Room Tip: You may not want a higher floor as the view of the park is great if you're nearer the ground (st...
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I've been looking at this hotel for a few years and finally found a great deal though my travel agent. My wife and I do not like staying in Mid Town or Times Square for several reasons mainly due to tourists and the crowds. We like to stay in neighborhoods that feel like you can become a part of time while traveling.

We pulled up the hotel at 4:30pm on Thursday and their was no one to help us with our bags or point us to check in. Not the end of the world, but not what I was expecting. Check in was pretty simple, my request for a high floor was granted and then some computers issues we where put on the 3rd floor. I would suggest a high floor like other reviewers have mentioned to get a way from the street noise and get a better view.

The room was decent size for NYC standards. Great black out blinds, good size bathroom and the AC was really good.
Our room 305 looked worn in places, not what you would expect from a hotel of this nature.
I took a shower and immediately noticed that the shower head was spitting water and really dripping on my head. Again, not would I would expect from this hotel.

We did try Maialino for drinks and snacks. It was very good. You can go grab coffee which is very good at the bar anytime. It's Coffee Culture which is fantastic if you have not had it.
The food was solid, we only had snacks. Service top notch.
Room service was really a downer. We had complementary continental breakfast each day. This was nice to be able to grab coffee and OJ while getting ready. The baked goods where bland.

The concierge was super easy to work with and made every effort to book reservations and provide suggestions when asked. If you are not familiar with NYC, I would ask then for help and ideas.

Overall, I loved the convenience to lower Manhattan. We really did enjoy the hotel and if it had not been sold out, we would have switched rooms. Each hotel has a few rooms with some problems, I felt 305 was that room. Both my wife and I agree we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a high floor to avoid street noise and get a view of the park
Reviewed 4 April 2012

A gem of a hotel! Classic in styling with superior room amenities- you'll love the mini bar and bath products. We love this neighborhood and have stayed at several nearby hotels- this one is best for luxury hotels as far as comfort, quiet rooms, and private Gramercy Park access- a nice treat after an exhausting day of touring the city. Concierge was helpful with business transactions adn the Maialano Restaurant is a must do for Sunday brunch.

Lighting is a little dark for reading in bed but otherwise- awesome!

Room Tip: Dont worry about the courtyard view- such a great nights sleep- nice and quiet- no sirens! The rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Good if your going to sleep!! The rooms are SO dark - rubbish for anyone who is there for business and rubbish for getting dressed!!!

Nice rooftop area for breakfast
Nice restaurant in the hotel and
Nice bar