“My Favorite New York Hotel”

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #196 of 468 Hotels in New York City
North Carolina
“My Favorite New York Hotel”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My two daughters and I just returned from a weekend staying at our favorite New York hotel - Residence Inn Times Square. This is our fifth stay, and every time, it has worked out perfectly. We had a back corner room on the 30th floor, and were amazed when we walked in and saw how large the room was. Although the bathroom is small in comparison to the guest room size, it was fine, as we had a full-length mirror in the guest room and an additional sink in the kitchen area. We love the location, the easy access to the subway at Bryant Park, and the ability to print out our boarding passes for our return flight in the front lobby. Everyone is always helpful, and our room was spotless! We can hardly wait to return!

Room Tip: High floors located at the back of the hotel are very quiet; however, the "skyline view" r...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Meredith77:

Thank you for choosing my hotel each time you visit New York City! It is always nice to hear such positive reviews from guests who continually stay with us. Please be sure to let me know the next time you are planning a visit.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fla
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and I stayed with our two year old at the Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square. We traveled over the Thanksgiving holiday. This was a perfect hotel for our visit; I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to see Manhattan or the Macy’s Day Parade. When I made reservations, I asked about the Macy’s Day Parade. The hotel agent explained she could not guarantee a room overlooking the parade and that some rooms would not see the parade at all. This wasn’t a problem for me.

The hotel lobby isn’t very pretty, but the front desk was efficient, helpful, and got us a great room – overlooking the parade route! We were thrilled with this great surprise! The room was one of the biggest I’ve stayed in while visiting Manhattan (I was expecting a room the size of a closet). There was plenty of space, the bed was very comfortable, and the kitchen made our trip very convenient (the ice maker worked great). The front desk sent up a pack-and-play for our son and it was delivered fast and was even set up for us. Great service. Upon departure, the Bell Man really went out of his way to help us with the luggage and help us find a cab. We thanked God for him in our prayers that night. He was excellent.

Another reason we selected this hotel was for the complimentary breakfast. The breakfast selection was good. The lines were long and there were people everywhere, but we were traveling over a holiday weekend. The breakfast sandwiches were helpful to take on-the-road with us as well. I would recommend the breakfast buffet.

The location of the hotel is perfect! The hotel is within walking distance many of the Manhattan attractions. We were able to take short walks to Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, Macy’s, and Rockefeller Center to name just a few. You won’t need cabs too much. We took a cab into Little Italy and it was about $14 each way. The ride from LGA was a flat fee, which is posted at the airport taxi line – look for midtown rates. The Hotel is right across the street from Bryant Park which was very fun around the holiday time. There was a great NYC Pizza stand right across from the hotel for pizza for $1; Quick and delicious. There was also a great Szechuan Gourmet across the street up 39th street from hotel. The food was amazing!! In all, we had a great time at this hotel.

The hotel was on the Parade Route, but the breakfast area which would have been a perfect view of hotel was blocked off for a private party. If you’re looking to see the parade, you will be able to walk downstairs and right outside for a perfect, front row view. The hotel is also an easy walk to Macy’s where the parade ends.

Enjoy your visit!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank babie22559
Dear babie22559:

Thank you for sharing your holiday experience at my hotel with potential visitors. I'm so glad you experienced such an exciting time in the city and you were lucky enough to have a view of the parade! Thanksgiving weekend is a great kick off to the holiday season and our hotel is conveniently located to many NYC sights; most of which are within walking distance as you said.

I'm so glad you found our rooms to be comfortable and accommodating and that the pack and play was set up prior to your arrival. I'm sure you would agree having a kitchen in your room really does help when traveling with a young child! We really do try our best to accommodate traveling families.

Please Note: We do sell various parade view room packages through our Sales office. I recommend anyone looking to guarantee a view of the parade; contact the hotel directly and we can further assist them.

Thank you again for sharing your review with TripAdvisor. I hope you’ll visit us again!

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is a great location - close to Times Square, the Port Authority & Grand Central. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was very clean and a nice size for NYC. The free breakfast was great - the hotel even left us a message suggesting that we go to breakfast at a certain time to avoid the weekend rush. We were very pleased and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear jschlich:

Thank you for sharing your comments with potential guests. Our hotel is centrally located to both public transportation and Times Square. Our complimentary breakfast can become quite busy on the weekends and we try our best to help our guests plan accordingly. I'm glad you noticed our efforts and enjoyed your stay. I look forward to your return visit!

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I don't normally write a review, but we had such a nice experience at this hotel. I walked in at 10:00 am on Saturday to see if there was a reservation for that evening and immediately received my room keys. I know that this is rare to have a room ready so early in the morning, but it was greatly appreciated. The room was wonderful - neat and clean - with a great view. The area offered many choices for dining. The location worked well for us, as my husband both had many things to do in New York this weekend, and we were both able to reach our destinations with the greatest of ease. We really enjoyed the breakfast buffet and as we were checking out this morning, we weren't leaving the city until later in the day, so the hotel graciously held our luggage. The staff was friendly, polite and helpful. I couldn't have asked for a nicer weekend in New York. Thank you Residence Inn Times Square.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Laurie S:

Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review of my hotel! We do our very best to accommodate early arrivals and are more than willing to hold guest's bags if a room is not available. I'm so happy that you were pleased with your room and found the area to be convenient. I hope you'll visit us again soon.

New York, NY
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The Marriott Residence Inn is in a perfect location for exploring Manhattan. Located right on 1033 Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue) it provides easy walking access to Broadway (42nd street) as well as Bryant Park.

The beds are very comfortable and you can request feather pillows or hypoallergenic foam pillows if needed. The Residence has large rooms with a galley kitchen including stove, refrigerator and dishwasher.

Rates are reasonable for Manhattan and a one-night stay on a January weekend was about $230.00 including tax. From here you can easily access the subway. Free coffee and breakfast downstairs. There is also a bar and pool table upstairs in the lounge. Location is perfect for a walk to Bryant Park as well as just a few blocks away from the excitement of Times Square.

Staff was friendly, helpful and professional. Recommend the 12th floor for a beautiful sunset view of the Empire State Building!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Southeast side of the hotel overlook the Empire State Building. Beautiful sunset view...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear reenieroo22:

Thank for reviewing my hotel and posting great photos for potential visitors! Many of our upper floors have great city views. I encourage guests to request these rooms and we will do our very best to accommodate based on that days availability. I'm so glad that the room you stayed in met your needs and you were able to enjoy an Empire State Building view. Thank you again for your positive review. I hope you'll stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

A nice clean location in the heart of NYC. Plenty of dining options around. The room was nicely set up and clean. Breakfast buffet was very nice. The dining are provided ample seating. One criticism would be the on-site parking. At $56 per day you can do better getting yourself an on-line pre-parking coupon. I forgot mine from a nearby location that would have saved about $40 for the stay.

Room Tip: I would have preferred a higher floor. We were on the 12th and our view was blocked.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jcapasso1964
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Jcapasso1964:

Thank you for posting about your recent stay at my hotel. I am so delighted to hear you enjoyed our breakfast and the location was perfect for you. Our parking can be a bit more expensive than some other garages in the area; we do not own the garage, so unfortunately we do not set their pricing. It's a great idea if people want to look online for coupons to local garages however our garage is very safe and secure and we offer the ability to pull directly in front of the hotel to drop off the car. Thank you again for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor readers, I hope you will visit us again soon.

Atlanta
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Having spent weeks at a time in NYC I have a good understanding of Hotels there and set expectations accordingly.

This property for around $200 is one of the best values I have experienced. Great location for the 1st time to NYC tourist looking to see Times Square and major sites and the seasoned NYC traveler that want to be close to subway, bus line and Grand Central.

Most rooms in NYC you need to have your luggage on the bed for one person to move about the room. Not so at this Marriott location. Great view of Bryant Park. Regrettably I was there in February as Bryant Park is one of the best locations in better weather to enjoy.

Room has nice kitchen, sitting areas and full bath. Sofa was a little tired but no problem. Excellent view from the 29th floor; wonderful breakfast; ok on premise lounge with full bar service and again a good view; well trained and pleasant staff. I located a good wine bistro near by and ran up a respectable bar tab so I opted for a take out sandwich at subway to even out my evening cost.

I have spent well over $400 for some nice rooms in the city and yes they were small and better appointed. For $200 this is on my list of best place to return.

Room Tip: ask for a view of Bryant Park on a higher floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank travelswithjh
Ryan C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear travelswithjh:

Thank you for reviewing and recommending my hotel to potential visitors. I'm glad that you enjoyed staying with us and found our rooms to be accommodating. Our location is conveniently located and as you suggested; would be great for a first time NYC visitor!

Due to our central location some of our rooms do have some great views of both Bryant Park and the Empire State Building. I’m glad you were able to enjoy one of these views! Thank you for your positive feedback. I hope you’ll visit us again soon.