“The best steamed dumplings you'll ever eat!”
Review of Obao

Obao
Reserve with OpenTable
Obao is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #890 of 14,898 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$9 - US$32
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: OBAO bridges the gap from the streets of South East Asia to the Streets of NYC, bringing you combinations of various Thai and Vietnamese comfort foods with a twist. OBAO takes traditional dishes from Thailand and Vietnam like Pad Thai and Pho Noodles and adds a touch of luxury and elegance without ever compromising on authenticity. At OBAO, you will taste the highest quality ingredients while experiencing comfort through food you never thought was possible.
Reviewed January 29, 2017 via mobile

Seriously. This is our go-to lunch place. $9 knockout lunch specials. We've had the pad thai, drunken noodles, tom yum, crispy rolls...all fantastic. Servers are typically very attentive. Portions are generous. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed January 27, 2017 via mobile

I'd have given 5 stars for the food alone, however, the service was just mediocre. And I expect excellent service at a dining establishment with such high ratings in NYC.

The spring rolls were fantastic. The sauce was perfect. The pork belly was great, not too fat and very tender. The sauce was also great. I especially envied the duck noodles. The noodles appeared homemade. The eggplant side was also fantastic.

I dined with a business associate and we split many of the items to enjoy a variety of the wonderful dishes.

This would have been 5 stars had the service been better. It took a long time for server to greet our table. I wanted a drink so bad, I hated the wait. Our food came super fats after ordering, but our server never checked on us. Improve service and the food would easily make his 5 stars

Reviewed January 24, 2017

My first time in Manhattan and it was very overwhelming. There are so many choices of restaurants to go to.

I really wanted a good PHO and a friend recommended OBAO.

The staff were polite, helpful and very efficient. The service is 5 stars.

The atmosphere, is warm and friendly. You can sit that the bar or table, I chose the bar. Either way the service is the same.

I ordered the PHO BO which was amazing. I would recommend this!!!!

Thank you for a great dining experience.

1  Thank fresew
Reviewed January 24, 2017 via mobile

The music is upbeat and had me moving in my chair, drinks were ahhmazing! (A thousand and one nights {fruity} and Obao Sunray {citrus w warmth &spice) The food was fantastic! The food was not overly salty, flavors and aroma were delightful, and it had beautiful textures and presentation to boot. This location had the best reviews and that's also because of the service to set them apart. Everyone works together to provide superior service, fast response to needs, and keeping an eye out for anything you may need so that they do not over crowd you in the midst of eating and having conversation. It reminds me of Saint Martin where they allow you to relax and come when you are in need of something. Obao let's you relax and enjoy your time at the restaurant and I love that. They also allowed some time between drinks, appetizer, and main course to allow us to settle. It really allowed us to enjoy ourselves and not feel rushed out. Bam was our main server and was so incredibly nice. To her...Thank you for a wonderful night out and being so attentive! We will stop in our on our next visit to NYC.

Reviewed January 22, 2017 via mobile

We were looking for some good eats in Times Square and seriously lucked out when we dined at Obao. We went on Saturday night and left our names on waiting list...wasnt too bad of a wait (15 mins) The food and service was unbelievable. The entire staff work together and are super efficient and quick. The food was the best Vietnamese and Thai you will ever have, without going to South East Asia itself. We had the steamed dumplings, and pork belly for apps and bu'n for dinner. Our one regret, was us sadly forgetting our leftover bag on the table! Wish we had an Obao back home in Toronto...it would be a huge hit instantly