“Great food, ambience”

Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Bowery
Cross street: Rivington between Chrystie and Bowery
Transit: F/V to Lower East Side/ 2nd Avenue, J/M/Z to Bowery and 6 to Spring.
Description: Located in Lower East Side of Manhattan Freemans offers a rugged and clandestine respite in a Colonial American Tavern setting. The cuisine is early American: simple, rustic and inspired by Old World traditions. Freemans is well known for beautiful artisanal cocktails and warm service.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Celebrating my mother's 80th birthday in NYC, we went here for a multigenerational dinner on a snowy night. And we loved it. Great ambience - intimate, wonderful food that we all enjoyed (artichoke dip, devils on horseback, bouillabaise, duck - all good) and of course lots of nice champagne and wine. Great staff as well.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Had the place recommended. At first sight you don’t think you got the directions right, but YES it is at the end of the dim lit graffiti alley. Interior a fantastic mix of hunter’s trophies and flea market furnitures. Food good with fast service. Long wine list mainly old world wines, but a few good US selections too. Prices a bit high for the quality, but adding in the atmosphere it is reasonable

Reviewed April 3, 2018

My girlfriend and I came here for brunch to fuel up for a day of biking, and we loved it.

I'm really big on restaurant atmosphere, sometimes to a fault. I'll go to a restaurant that looks really cool, even if their food isn't the best. Luckily, Freeman's ticks both boxes, and we had a great experience. It was the Sunday brunch after St. Patrick's Day, so we were expecting a huge wait. To our surprise, we discovered that we could sit at the bar in the back room right away without waiting at all. Win!

The place itself feels like an escape from Manhattan. I won't make a poor attempt at describing it in detail - just look at the pictures. Dimly lit, rustic, with taxidermy scattered around. Really, my kind of place.

I went with the turkey sandwich, which came THICK with turkey along with arugula, avocado, and just a small amount of spicy mayonnaise. When I say thick with turkey, I mean it. There had to be at least 5 pretty good sized slices. It was absolutely perfect and I enjoyed it alot. The only thing I would have liked is maybe just a little bit more spicy mayonnaise. It was served alongside crispy, thin french fries that helped in my mission to fuel up for our bike ride. I paired it all with a beer, and I was set.

My girlfriend, who has much more restraint and discipline than I do, got the house made granola, which came with greek yogurt, seasonal fruit, and honey. She was very happy with her meal as well. All in all, we were glad that we chose Freeman's. From the minute you walk down Freeman's Alley to the restaurant, it's an experience. I'm glad I had it bookmarked for sure.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

I've been going down the Alleyway, to Freemans for over 12 years. Recently, went back and was lucky enough to score a table with no wait. That never happens! Food and service are always excellent. You can't go wrong to kick things off with Hot Artichoke Dip. We enjoyed Whole Grilled Trout and Seared Filet Mignon sweet & sour onions, mashed potatoes horseradish crème fraiche. Sooo delicious!
I did notice prices have gone up quite a bit since my last visit. Still hard to beat. Thanks Freemans for still being consistently fantastic after all these years!

Reviewed March 29, 2018

We went for my birthday - and were entranced by the next table's dessert, and started a chat. Made a friend!
But the food is great, and the ambience better. A hidden gem, in my opinion. Have the artichoke dip! It's incredible (and filling).