“Outstanding mid-town hotel”

Ranked #149 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Outstanding mid-town hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Everything about the London Hotel in NYC was outstanding: location, price, accommodation, staff, food. All first rate at a reasonable price compared to its peers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have stayed at the London NYC several times and always like the value and location. This time got off to a bad start because when I checked in at 4:40PM on Thursday March 22 my room was not ready. I was told that there was a room ready but it was on a smoking floor which was not acceptable to me and that there was a room with two twin beds and that was not acceptable to me either. I had plans that night but decided to wait for the room that I had booked. This made me late to an engagement and was a very bad way to start my vacation. I was offered a drink in your bar but do not feel as if that were enough. There was another couple in the bar with the same situation and they were not happy with the London NYC either. We eventually got into our room around 5:45. Another thing that was disturbing was on Monday morning there was a maid going into empty rooms and she would let the doors slam every time she went in or out. I counted 12 times before I got up and told her to be quiet. She blamed it on the guests which was a lie. I would like to continue staying at the London NYC but do not feel as though the quality is as good as it used to be so I do not know if I will be back. I have been a loyal guest of your hotel but do not feel as though I really matter to you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank James L
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I've stayed at the London NYC twice within the past year and found it to be excellent. The only complaint is the staff could be more receptive and attentive upon arrival. It seemed they were all looking down and continued to even after I approached. Believe me there is nothing strange about my appearance that they would want to avoid me but I'm just use to being greeted when approaching the front desk. However, once checked in the room was- a suite, fabulous decor, flat screens, very clean and a nice asthetic. My daughter and I love staying at the London. It is pricey and you can sometimes get a deal, like stay 3 nights get one free. Location is near the theater district and close to public transportation. AND last but not least the food is fantastic, room service rocks! This one gets high marks from me:-)

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Travelonbike
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We took 2 rooms for 6 days at the London Hotel NYC at the end of March 2012. Sadly disappointed on a number of fronts which need to be addressed. Firstly guests need to be aware that there is currently a lot of very noisy building work going on both in the hotel and outside in the street which is actually (in the case of the outside work) happening day and night.

This is not completely the hotel's fault I guess, they told me that the City of NY has forced them to do it but it made our stay rather unpleasant as drilling noise throughout the day inside the hotel woke us up very early and made (makes) resting or working in one's room difficult/impossible (in our rooms on the 11th and 14th floors) during much of the day,

The drilling work on the street outside was actually still going on at 2AM. Ouch! Visitors should be aware there is scaffolding and workers outside many windows directly too, so no privacy or quiet space then - the hotel told us to "please ensure that your curtains are closed" from 8am to 5pm. If that does not worry you then that's okay. Personally I hated it, which was made worse with my jet lag. I felt the building work should be flagged up by the hotel in advance, particularly for those of us who had requested quiet rooms.

How long will this go on for? Ring the hotel to check, as it looks like a heck of a large building job to me but I could be wrong. After a few days lack of sleep with jet lag we had enough.

The hotel has large rooms, often 2 rooms joined up together and space and build quality and decor is good but very dark. Beds are comfortable and large and the bathrooms are good but mine had 2 showers and no bathtub, which seems to be the norm for some reason. Mini bar is one of those automatic charging devices and while each room has an iron the London NYC has opted for an unusable table top ironing board which is rather irritating. The rooms are dark and gloomy though, which would be fine for a romantic getaway but works less well for business guests. Concierge service was fine too.

The hotel offers free Internet which would be good if it worked properly, which it only did sometimes. While we were there everything was crashing, even the TV service and when we did try and complain or get this resolved nothing happened and we felt that the staff did not really take responsibility or any action.

Service is polite but we found it rather remote and impersonal and I felt that when I complained that I was being "Handled" rather than being listened to. Complaints did not seem to make it up the management ladder and for example, our separate problems did not seem to be recorded. After six nights here I felt exhausted and sleep deprived and ended up using wifi at the nearest Barnes and Noble store/Starbucks. A pity...

The gym is fantastic and the location is in the theater district and is good. There is a bar/restaurant downstairs but I felt that the common areas are very limited downstairs. There is a pricey Gordon Ramsey restaurant on the premises too. Maid service is excellent.

For the money though (nearly $500 per night) I feel that this was bad value given the fact that we could not sleep or work here or use the Internet. I had booked with hotels.com so I could not face trying to cancel and move hotels. If I had booked directly then I would have got out fast. I soon tired (literally) of hanging on the phone waiting for IT departments and managers to respond to my calls while my colleague got no real responses at all.

This might well change as the work finishes, but in general, having stayed at the LA property, which I liked, these guys in NY have to do much better. It took maybe 5 or 6 calls to speak to a manager who was pleasant and offered me "a pot of tea" by way of compensation. In my opinion when a hotel has substantial building work on then it should communicate this to guests in advance while the lack of reliable Internet connectivity was a big no-no for us. Better to be charged for working wi-fi than free but intermittent Internet at this price of accommodation. I write this on my last night at the hotel in the hope that the management can help the next set of guests.

Call the London NYC to check on the renovations before booking.

Room Tip: avoid rooms with building work (if there are any quiet rooms at present)
4 Thank BritishBusinesst2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

A spacious modernly-appointed very comfortable and 'cool' room, attentive staff, an excellent gourmet meal with loads of involved staff at the graciously decorated, unhurried restaurant, made a gorgeous location for a special memorable birthday dinner and evening in the middle of NYC.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear spacious and well equipped
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edward e
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Rooms were great. Wifi was free (very nice) and location was central and away from crazy Times Square. I'm from New York and I've been trying new hotels and this was a great find for me.

I did not try the restaurant so I can't comment. There is great food all around this hotel.

Also seemed to be famous people always in the hotel - I didn't notice it until the end of my stay but they always had a crowd out front, but didn't affect my stay in the least.

Very comfortable place and I will be back.

Room Tip: Upper floors for sure - I was on the 30th floor, goes into the 50's I believe.
2 Thank Matt321
oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

What a great hotel! One of my new favorites. Great central location, near 3 subway stations and short walk to theaters and good pizza. Traveled with my husband and teen son. We all loved the cool decor, the sparkling white bathroom with the awesome shower. So quite, never heard a sound. Roll-away in the living room worked out great, son could stay up late with tv, husband and I had privacy in our cozy bed. Thank you London NYC, We will be back.

• Stayed March 2012