“Simply great”

Broadway Hotel and Hostel
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Simply great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

I stayed here for two nights following a business trip elsewhere in the states. The hostel was easy to find, handily positioned near a metro stop and in a nice area. The hostel itself was great. It is clearly newly refurbished and the amenities downstairs were top draw for a hostel. The room was nice, clean and well appointed with a sink, flat screen TV and an iPod dock (assuming unlike me you have one). The beds were comfy if a little creaky! But I had a great nights sleep both nights. The bathrooms were out in the hall, but kept very clean all day. I loved the place and hope to be back at some time in the future hopefully!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Reclusive
Broadwaymgt, Manager at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Thanks for writing! We have recently renovated much of The Broadway and we're glad that you were able to see and appreciate the changes. We'd love to have you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

We booked this hotel on the 2nd Oct 2011 for a stay on the 10th Dec 2011 for 4 nights. We arrived at the hotel in the evening after a long day of travelling, only to be told that they were fully booked for the first night. They offered for us stay the first night at one of their sister hotels then come back to the hotel for the following 3 nights. I told them we were not prepared to spend the little time that we had in NYC, moving from one hotel to another. They eventually found a room at their sister hotel for the whole stay. Cannot run a knees up in a brewery springs to mind!

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maddy_j_11
Hello, we apologize that during your first night there was an overbooking. Overbooking is an occurrence that doesn't happen often but in the unfortunate case that it does, we try our best to provide our guests with a fitting relocation.

We understand that after a long travel, hearing of an overbooking is news that no one would like to hear. We hope that you at least enjoyed your stay at The Marrakech and enjoyed the city during your stay.

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Brunei Darussalam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed in a hostel room shared with another person. I just needed a room to sleep in as I was going to be out the whole day. The bedroom was pretty clean. The bathroom was very clean and maintained clean. So that is great. The staff were friendly and nice and quite helpful. I am very glad that they took note of my request. I booked a mixed dorm hostel room but I requested for a female roommate and they placed me with one. :) It is just too bad the internet was only in the common room and the internet was very slow. But overall it was a great value for a clean place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank beruangteddy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed in the hostel portion of this place in a two bed per room reservation. The room was dark and somewhat cold with a sink and a locker. There are bathrooms down the hall which for me were always clean and open 95% of the time.

The staff were all very nice, friendly and helpful. I was cold and kept asking for more blankets, and they gladly gave me as many as I needed. They were not able to control the heat though, so even though the room was chilly, they could not improve it. We had a snowstorm one day, and even then the heaters did not kick into a higher heat, but at least we had power. I heard all of the East coast lost power and thousands were without ANY heat, so I was grateful to have any heat and my six blankets. :-) I also like to be very warm when I sleep, so that's just me.

The kitchen area has a microwave and sink, but no pots, pans, utensils, cups, etc. It's better for making simple things or heating up leftovers. There is a "bar" which serves breakfast and snacks throughout the day which I found helpful.

The elevator is small and slow, so after you take the trip with your luggage, unless you are way high up or have an injury, it's probably better to take the stairs.

The lounge area downstairs is cozy and great. Lots of seating, it's decorated and designed nicely, there are books for trade or borrowing, internet, three plasma TVs which play news in the morning and movies at night.

Overall I was content with the hostel. I paid more than I thought it should be, but hostels and hotels were very pricey this fall (2011), so compared to the other prices, it was decent. I would like to see better lighting in the room, and in the halls, but in general it was safe, clean and fine. It's close to the train and many delicious, affordable restaurants and stores.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Nutmeg_Cinnamon
Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

The staff is not so friendly and all rooms have shared bathrooms. Around two for floors.
The rooms have free lockers inside.

Room Tip: Try get a room far from the street. It might be a good idea if want a good night of sleep.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank repinel
Broadwaymgt, Manager at Broadway Hotel and Hostel, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Hello, we are sorry to hear that your experience at The Broadway was not the greatest. Hopefully, you might consider staying with us again. If you'd like, you do have the option of booking a room with a private bathroom. We've recently opened newly renovated private rooms that are affordable and can be worked into a travelers budget.

Best of luck with all of your travels!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Just right for our needs. We only wanted a good nights sleep and a clean place to get ready each morning. The location was perfect for getting to the subway blocks away. We felt safe and the neighborhood was friendly and relaxed. The staff of young people were very warm and polite. We enjoyed interacting with the young travelers from Europe. I definitely recommend staying as long as its understood this is a practical hotel for a low cost. Its not extravagant but that is what the city is for. :)

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank gypsieblood
Thanks so much for your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Broadway. It's our goal to have all of our guests feel at home where you can meet, mingle, and have a shared experience with other travelers.

Hopefully, we'll see you again!
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Did'nt expect much for the price but very impressed. Located in Upper West side just off Broadway - very easy to catch the Subway - generally nice and quite area with great food.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mondayclub
So glad you enjoyed your stay! And yes, we do agree, the restaurants near The Broadway are as eclectic as they are delicious.