“Last Resort”
Review of Sun Bright Hotel

Sun Bright Hotel
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I do not normally write reviews of my hotel stays but felt morally obliged in this instance. I had to book a room at short notice for my stay in New York and this was the cheapest option by far in the Manhattan area. I stayed there for 2 weeks. Any longer then I would have paid the extra to get a 'normal' hotel. Anyhow the room was on the fifth floor and there are no elevators so I recommend traveling lightly. Floors 3 and 4 are for permanent residents and it shows, they live in quite dismal conditions and almost make the guest floors look like a luxury residence.
The room itself is tiny with no ceiling other than chicken gauze/wire. No sink/mirror and only a very basic area to store your belongings...you have to be creative in order not to for the area not to get too untidy. So given the room structure and dimensions you need to bring ear plugs and an eye mask since you can hear every movement of the people on the floor. They do not turn off the lights at night , that is the reason for the eye mask .
There were 5 shower/restroom facilities on the floor and I never had to wait to get in one and there was always hot water. Bring flip flops so that you use these areas hygienically. That is all there is to this place. For the money it is well located, but if you are a light sleeper then you will have a hard time resting. It is only a place to come back to after you have spent the whole day sightseeing so it does encourage you to spend time outside of the hotel since there is nothing to do inside the place itself.
Would I go there again? Only if my back was against the wall and my options were very limited. I was in an unusual situation given the short amount of time that I had to book the flight and hotel and also the amount of time that I needed to spend in NYC. The next cheapest option in Manhattan was about 3 times as expensive, so given my circumstances I am actually quite grateful that the Sunbright hotel was there to fill an unusual requirement for me. On a 'normal' vacation for me which would last a week I would not consider it. It is for single people only not for a family. I only required a place to sleep which was in Manhattan and it served it's purpose well.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank RezK

Reviewed 24 November 2011

I am usually not very picky about hotels, which is why I originally chose the Sun Bright (mainly for its low cost in such an expensive city). I have stayed in hostels all over Central America and Asia and Europe. This, in comparison, has got to be the worst I have ever stayed in. The sheets were dirty and stained when I got to my room. The showers were infested with roaches. The dorm is literally a chicken coup, with chicken wire separating room from room. A word from experience, pay a little more and get a better hotel. This is not a place to take children or family.

Room Tip: don't book here! go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank will d
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My friend and I booked a private room. It was on the 2nd floor. We were right across from the 3 bathrooms that are for the entire floor. There was a computer area out front. There was always noise. The private room was a block of rooms in the middle which had no windows which was odd. There was no heat control and no natural light. Our mattresses were horrible. I saw in other rooms, some had real mattresses and one room had a sink. They should remove the common area from the sleeping area. So much congregatin going on. The bathroom shower stalls were always falling off the week we were there. The place is just falling apart. They should have the same quality of matteresses for all the rooms if you are paying the same money. We paid for the "better" of the rooms, but I certainly didn't see what we were getting. We kept the fan on all night and our earplugs in just so we could sleep. Bring earplugs and flip flops (for the showers). That said, teh place is a good location for catching trains and budget food. Easy walk to lower east side and soho.

Room Tip: If you can deal with street noise, get a room with a window so you have some light coming in.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank rnelson2000
Reviewed 25 October 2011

The single 'room' (bunk really) I was in was on the 5th floor, but before you get there you have to pass the other floors where a lot of Chinese people are staying. Or living actually. Each floor is a big hall with beds, and each bed has wooden walls around it, so it's sorta private, but also not. Those halls resemble slave like conditions, I will never forget that view.
The 5th floor is the same concept, but given the concept it's quite nicely done. You still however are only a wooden wall away from your neighbors. On all 3 sides. There is no roof on your bunk, only chicken gauze. It's on a busy street, so I went to bed hearing my neighbors snore and woke up to the horns of New York traffic. Oh, and I skipped the showers, you share a shower with about 10 bunks, so the line was terrible. If you want a cheap stay and experience Chinatown, this is your place, but if you are looking for a hotel: look elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank FrisoO
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We had booked two nights at the hotel but when we arrived there was apparently no more room! On inquiry we were told that they apparently with the travel agency we booked no longer work together? Don't book this hotel!

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank trav848587
Reviewed 9 October 2011

When I first walked into the dorm at the Sun Hotel in Chinatown I was shocked. It looked like a chiken coup. There were scores of tiny 'bedrooms' placed next to one another in a pen-like fashion. Upon opening the door to my room I was surprised again at how small the space was. It is literally enough space for a small single mattress with enough walkway to shuffle down one side of the bed.

Having overcome the initial shock I actually realised that this, at the price of a budget hostel actually offers significantly more privacy. The space is tiny but at least its 'your space'. The rooms are very clean and the mattress comfortable. There are two plug sockets and your own light switch. Those are the plus points.

Unfortunately there is no ceiling to the rooms, in fact it is a sheet of chicken wire, presumably to stop people snooping into the next room. This also means that at no point during the day or night is it ever remotely dark. The hallway lights are on all night and therefore an eye mask and ear plugs are a must!

The service is less than satisfactory but not attrocious. The 5 flight walk up, with heavy luggage, not ideal but at a low price...it's OK.

One more note - Wi-Fi is free but painfully slow and renders itself practically useless.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank wolfpackmember
Reviewed 1 October 2011

they charge for the room on my credit card after the cancelation one week before...we call to cancell we send a e-mail like they ask to do.. good luck if you paid whit your credit card ....there chinese people , do not speak and understand english verry good and do not care , they dont care and they just want your money, i am trying to get my money back.. they still try to charge me one week after...i have to cancell my credit card..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo