All reviews maiden lane wall street battery park fulton street subway the financial district executive studio statue of liberty one world observatory free breakfast wtc memorial new york full size fridge the breakfast area downtown manhattan freedom tower laundry room breakfast staff
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel really has 2 stories to tell...

First: I would say all employees are attentive and courteous, particularly Annabelle and the lady with short hair working the front desk, the maintenance guy and the food area group that come out of the kitchen with a smile on their faces, saying ‘good morning’ to all guests and offering help whenever possible. All of them make you feel at home and wanting to come back to the hotel.

Second: you have the administrative area which seems not to have a good handle of all requests and needs for their guests.

I arrived on sunday evening after a 15 hour trip and the only thing I wanted to do was rest and sleep. I was received very attentively by the front desk team, checken in quickly and headed towards the room. First impression was that the room was ok, in a corner of the 19th floor which was supposed to be the most quiet room available but in fact there was a constant banging that was either construction, some loose equipment on the roof or an enthusiastic newlywed couple assigned a few rooms down. The room was also somewhat dark as there were only 2 small windows facing an alley. I called the front desk and requested a change of rooms which was done smoothly, and ended up moving to a corner on the 11th floor. The room was a bit more spacious and definitely there was more light. The only negative I found was the size of the closet which did not have space to hang any clothes unless you are 4 feet tall. I looked for the tv remote control to watch a movie before going to sleep but was not able to find it, so I decided to sleep with no movie that night.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a loud sound, looked around but was not able to identify where it was coming from except that I felt more light coming from the outside, so I went back to sleep. I woke up the following morning and went for a shower, but realized that there was no shower courtain. Since I had to take a shower I tried to do it without creating a mess but when I opened the water the knob fell off, which in fact was the reason there was lots of water on the floor after I showered given I burned myself trying to regulate the water temperature. When I came out of the shower and while getting dressed, I realized what was the reason for the loud bang during the night: the drapes from one of the windows had fallen off - which is also the reason why there was ‘more light’ when I woke up in the middle of the night. Anyway, as I was heading out that morning I stopped by the front desk to report the issues:

- no shower courtain
- no remote control
- drapes to be fixed
- shower knob to be fixed

Monday evening: I arrived waiting to find everything fixed but to my surprise the only issue that was fixed was the shower courtain, which was not necessarily what I would have expected from this hotel - courtain was an old one that did not fit the shower size, and had a number of torn sections .

- Remote control: x

Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday:

- Remote control: x
- Shower knob: x

...and every day I called or stopped by to remind them of the issues, and was told they would be fixed asap.

On thursday evening after coming from work I called again around 9 pm and the maintenance person came in after 5 minutes. Very nice guy who said he was not aware of the issues and tried to fix them but given the time I asked him to do it the following morning. I managed to get a remote control that night, but he found that the whole system was not working so it took him 10-15 min to fix. Check and done.

Friday:

- Shower knob: x

Saturday: I am leaving this morning and this is the final status of the issues:

- no shower courtain - 90% on monday
- no remote control - done on thursday
- Shower knob: x

So as I leave today I am extremely disappointed with the hotel’s ability to manage issues. I always pick Marriott over other brands but this experience makes you wonder ....

Enjoy the pictures!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank Jaime P
NickC4971, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan World Trade Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Jaime P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your candid feedback regarding your experience at the Residence Inn World Trade Center. While I am pleased to hear that Annabelle and other members of the team made a positive initial impact, it is concerning to read of our lack of follow through with your requested items. Clearly they are items that should have been caught during our pre-arrival inspection process, but certainly addressed when you made us aware of them on multiple occasions. Please know that I have reviewed this with our leadership team, as well as our various Managers on Duty to ensure we take the proper steps necessary so that this is not a repeated situation for any future traveler. Again, I appreciate your feedback, as it gratefully gives me the information I need to help aid in the continuous improvement of our product and service offerings.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Pros: Nice clean modern room, decent view, nice bathroom, small kitchen, comfortable bed, good response to minor issues during our stay, great location, great price if booked early

Cons: Limited clothes storage, slow elevators, overcrowded breakfast area, AC not working in lobby and eating area, poor follow up from management

We were a group of 5 staying in 3 rooms. 2 couples and 1 single. Mostly our stay was pleasant and what we expected. We loved the location and the price. The rooms themselves were nice. One thing that we found odd was that we had all booked a King Studio for the same nightly price. One room was the smallest. One room was a little bigger than the smallest and had an additional cushioned chair. The biggest room had a sofa. So the same room booked, three different room sizes and furniture. If that matters to you, ask when you book or check in for a specific room.
We had 3 minor issues during our stay. In one room, one set of electrical outlets did not work and there was heavy condensation on the floor from the AC vent above the door which could have caused a slip hazard on a wet tile floor. In another room there was a rattling AC vent. Once we called the front desk all of these issues were corrected quickly.

We had 3 major problems during our stay. The AC did not work the whole time of our stay in the lobby and breakfast room area. This made it very unpleasant to sit and eat breakfast or lounge in the TV room area. Which leads to problem number two. There was not enough area to get breakfast and sit in the eating area for the number of guests. It took a long time to get your food as there was always a long line and people bumping each other. Once you got your food it was like a game of musical chairs to find a seat and table. Maybe this is why they had the AC out, to encourage people to not linger over breakfast. One day they ran out of 2% milk and the only coffee creamer left was soy. I have to complement the staff though. Under these rough conditions the staff in the breakfast area did an excellent job cleaning tables and trying their best to make the experience as nice as possible.

Another guest capacity problem was the use of the elevators. Over 50% of the time it took very long to get an elevator and when the elevator showed up it was invariably full already. On several occasions we used the stairs both up and down eight floors. We also saw other guests using the stairs. We overheard a guest say that the staff had told them that there were no service elevators so that they block one of the elevators for the maids and staff to use. Not sure if this is true.

Lastly I want to comment on management follow up. During our stay we received an email asking how our stay was. I replied with the above issues. While the reply from hotel management was not a canned response, it basically said they were working on the issues but gave no reply to how to fix anything during our actual stay. In my opinion the above issues are a systemic problem. Other than the broken AC, the hotel knows how many guests they have when they are full and they know the capacity of the breakfast room and the elevators. Obviously these issues existed before our stay and will exist afterward unless they make physical changes to the property. I replied to the second email from the manager, however, perhaps since we are now gone, I have not heard anything since.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank masspector2017
NickC4971, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan World Trade Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello masspector2017,
Thank you for sharing your experience with my Operations Managers during and after your stay. I appreciate you reaching out to me directly as well after posting this and providing me an opportunity to address your concerns. As communicated I assure you we have plans in place to correct our opportunities and look forward to serving you better in the future.

Reviewed September 8, 2018

New York City has changed a great deal especially Downtown near Wall Street

It is far more friendly and filled with new Hotels like the Residence Inn to make you feel
at home.

I was treated with kindness and given a great welcome by all the staff at the Hotel

I do not know all their names but some of them are Jessica and Danielle,

Thank you for giving me a quiet Haven in my short stay in my beloved City.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harry K

Greetings Harry K!
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Downtown has certainly changed a lot indeed, and getting better each day! I appreciate you recognizing the team, especially Jessica and Danielle. We are lucky to have those ladies and they are terrific examples of genuinely good people who love to be of service to others. We look forward to having you back at Residence Inn on your next trip to NYC, whether it is short or long!

Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

Decided to stay in city after seeing a broadway show, and our room was clean, cold and the beds comfortable. I have stayed in the city many times and never had such a dark room as the light is always coming in first thing in the morning but our room had blackout shades which was great. The hotel is right next to the Fulton Street subway station and in the financial district close to the South Street Seaport and 9/11 memorial. They offer free breakfast in the morning with a variety of choices.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank cst0ne

Hello cst0ne!
Thank you for your review of the Residence Inn WTC! I hope you enjoyed your Broadway show, there are so many amazing ones to see! I appreciate you selecting our hotel as a place to stay while in the city and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

Well, the worst Marriott award goes to Residence Inn Marriott downtown. This was near my business so decided to take a chance.
Issues
1. Air conditioning not working
2. Smallest room on the earth
3. Noise from fan and vent. Note there is open area in ceiling where you can see pipes and all junk around it. Ceilings are not closed and I think this is unhealthy.
4. Worst managers and staff. Manager first said no rooms available to switch and then they said a staff who goes to electrical breaker in the room and turns on and off and on. Then tells me all is good. 4-5 hours, managers in duty are so bad. I never seen this before. I am elite member and now I decided to switch the brand to hilton or IHG. I will not stay in Marriott. This is 3 rd Marriott in last 2 weeks in 3 different cities.

Is Marriott setting a bar for hospitality?

If I can complain about the manager and engineer on staff who was not professional. Engineer started yelling saying that he is very busy and don’t have time. After 3 hours and mid night, he shows up. Meanwhile room is 75 degrees and boiling. I wish I would not have stayed here.
Manager at night says they can find another room on 15 floors below but I have to pack and come as they don’t have anyone to drop keys.
If I am allowed to put videos and voice recording then you will be shocked to hear the noise from the fan and compressor. It is not a normal noise. I did not get even an hour worth of sleep in this hot and noisy room.

I never write such a harsh review but this was my worst ever stay in any hotel and I am a world traveler. Bad manners, rude staff, noisy rooms and plus they tell me they are sold out. When I keep complaining then they said at midnight we can get you another room. Yes I was sweating all night.

Again, Marriott Corporate: please check this hotel. I have videos and voice recording and will be happy to send. Circuit breaker pic was taken when staff was operating on it. My room was on the 19 th floor. Also staff and manager needs training on customer experience. You can’t just say “sorry we can’t do anything “ and here I am paying high dollars to stay in this place.

Avoid avoid avoid this place at any cost.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank goutamg787
Nick C, General Manager at Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan World Trade Center Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2018

Greetings goutamg787,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn World Trade Center. I am both shocked and embarrassed to read that such a poor experience took place at my property. It is uncharacteristic of this hotel and my team. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss the review with you. Please contact me directly at (212) 600-8920, or via email at nclark@riwtc.com.