“Handy self catering hotel near Central Park”
Review of AKA Central Park

AKA Central Park
Ranked #236 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband was working in New York while I was there for a break. We loved the location of the hotel, near Central Park, Apple store and Fifth Avenue. It was more self catering than a normal hotel - housekeeping come once a week (if staying for a week) which was adequate, but we would have liked a few cleaning products supplied for us to use in the meantime. There was a fridge, microwave, sink and it was equipped with crockery and cutlery as well as washing up liquid, saving money on normal hotel charges for drinks and food. There was no safe in the room, which was a pain, so we felt we had to take valuables out with us. There was a free on site laundry room, with washing powder supplied, which was really handy. The cafe was dreadful, serving cold food after a long wait and constant chasing of food and drink - don't bother paying extra - other places nearby. The hotel provides umbrellas when it rains, which was useful. The staff were great, always courteous and helpful. A good experience overall.

Room Tip: Ask if you want (and probably pay) for a view, or you will get the brick wall!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angie047

Reviewed 7 April 2012

The pictures already posted is exactly what the rooms look like. Staying here for two weeks and I can say, the rooms are spacious with lots of drawer space and a big walk in closet. 1 block from central park so good for runners and there's a first class gym in the hotel with new equipment. Staff are very friendly. Wifi is free, great cable service and the hotel has a nice scent. Once you book a hotel specialists contacts you to find out your needs. Remember to ask for your room serviced more than once every 7 days. It is possible to bargain daily cleaning. Views are inside hotel or of 58th street. Very impressed for NYC.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank nigerian_princess
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Across 58th Street from the Plaza Hotel, between 5th and 6th Avenues, AKA Central Park could not offer a better location. Bus and subway connections are superb, but so much of what people come to New York City for--theatre, shopping, museums, restaurants--is within easy walking distance. Straightforward and business-like, the hotel feels more intimate than its 130 or so rooms over 12 floors: the staff is cordial and helpful. (A container of large umbrellas appeared by the door when rain was forecast.) And breakfast in the hotel cafe is part of the charge for the room: a good range of choices on the menu--bacon and eggs to fruit salad. The room was spacious enough, the bed very comfortable, and the maintenance top quality. And since it is a hotel specializing in longer stays the rooms have kitchenettes (refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker). We paid $295 a night for a five-night stay and plan to return on our next visit there.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are perfectly quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2012

(This review is for a party I organized in the a.lounge at the AKA Central Park hotel.)
I used the a.lounge at the AKA Central Park hotel for a birthday party reception for my wife. It was a huge success – a great space, wonderful service and a very reasonable price.
Before the event, my wife had played a piano recital nearby (just steps away from Carnegie Hall!), so I was looking for a space in the area that could serve drinks and heavy hors d’oeuvres in a good atmosphere for about 30 to 40 people. I called around a few places, got some quotes (some of them outrageous) and eventually chose the AKA Central Park. Apart from the price, I was very impressed with the space and with the can-do attitude of the lounge’s manager, Marta. I was not disappointed.
I discussed a menu with her, including a welcome cocktail and how the room would be set up. When we arrived, there was a very tasty champagne drink, which included a berry floating on the top. It was excellent. Meanwhile, the barperson was dishing up excellent cocktails, including my wife’s favorite, a brandy sidecar, which was the best we had ever had. They certainly know how to make their drinks here. In addition, the wine served was of very good quality, when they could easily have poured stuff from a jug.
They had set up the room with a roaring fire and candles, so there was a very nice and intimate atmosphere, and had set up some nibbles for guests when they arrived. After that, servers circulated with the hors d’oeuvres we had ordered. Most were very good, some not so, but overall we were very pleased. They certainly didn’t skimp on quantity and the servers were very pleasant and attentive.
Meanwhile, Marta was available to take care of a couple of requests (storing some gifts and setting up a laptop to display some photos) and was always available to make sure things were running smoothly. She also made sure the cake we had ordered to be delivered was accepted efficiently, armed with candles and served to the guests.
In total, it was a great success. We had many compliments from attendees, some of whom said they would be interested in using the space in the future.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My buddy had a one bedroom suite for 10 nights. I stayed on a roll away bed, in the living room, for 3 of those nights. $50 + tax/night to add a roll away bed. (They should throw in that roll away for free. This place is not cheap!)

The location is amazing. So many great places within a 20 minute walk. Almost RIGHT across the street from Central Park.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

The room is basically cleaned once a week. Unfortunately, the toilet had not been cleaned in months it seemed. Horribly stained.

I loved the set up of the room and the decor. We had an issue with the heater the first night. A horrible banging sound, all night long. Bad nights sleep. They fixed it the next day but it would have been nice of them to offer to shave $20 off the bill or a free drink at the bar downstairs, anything, but they did not.

The soap, shampoo etc. were great. Loved the smell. Loved having a kitchen in the suite.

They charge for WIFI. BOO!

As you probably know, it gets pretty cold in New York during the winter. A cold shower is not something I wanted, but got. Apparently, they had some water heater problems and I had to take a cold shower on my second day. I mean COLD!

Gym: GREAT GYM! They had everything I needed and more. Really clean. Complimentary head phones as well. Could use some bottled water down there, but the drinking fountain worked fine. Not that you really need the gym as I think I walked a minimum of 100 blocks each day!

View: If you enjoy staring at a brick wall, you will LOVE the view. That is the view we had. A brick wall.

Again, I slept on a roll away bed. But I have to say, it was really comfortable, so I imagine the actual bed in the room must be VERY comfortable. The sheets were nice and I loved the heavy comforter.

This is a great place for families.

I want to stay here again, but next time, my buddy gets the roll away bed!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Baronent
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Our travel agent recommended AKA so we knew it would be good but we were blown away with the location. Our suite was very spacious and clean but did overlook ugly buildings and air conditioning equipment. Try to book a room with a decent view.
The staff were the best we have encountered anywhere in the world. They were genuinely welcoming and attentive at all times. During the week we were there we did not encounter one staff member with even the slightest hint of a 'couldn't care less' attitude. We stayed in 9 different hotels/resorts during our time in the US and AKA topped them all.
Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher floors with a decent outlook if possible
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lilyee
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Clean, contemporary, and spacious room in an outstanding location off 5th Ave near Central Park South. Staff was professional and friendly and fireplace lounge was a perfect place for a nightcap after an evening in the city. Bed was a bit disappointing, towels were thin, and do you really need a kitchenette in Manhattan (as a former local, I miss eating out three meals a day)? The price is excellent for the high quality.

• Stayed: January 2012