See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 31, 2016 via mobile

We recently stayed at Hotel Cliff. We were coming new years eve eve and you can imagine the room rates so we opted for a place a little away from downtown to save a few bucks.
The location is close to 2 subway stops and that was great.
When I called to find out what we should do...drive there and park...or, park in New Jersey and take a train or Uber in or...., I couldn't get an answer because the person who answered the phone the first 2 times didn't understand English and could barely answer in English. Eventually "Rocky" answered...thanks, Rocky. You definitely helped me out and you were so kind.
We got here at 250 for a 3pm checkin and had to wait in the lobby until 3pm before we could go upstairs. Ok. Letter of the law. I get it.
Room was ok. Small but clean. Windows were wide open. We closed them but soon realized they were open because it was almost impossible to control the heat. We had heat on and window open the whole time.
Came back to our room after a long day in the city. Key didn't work. Front desk told us that they had assigned our room....and gave a key to...another couple!!!! who entered our room, found it"dirty" (our stuff was there). It was dirty because, at 830pm, housecleaning hadn't been there. Hoping that the other couple hadn't gone thru our stuff, we cooled our jets in the lobby while they straightened or room. Toilet was clogged, Housekeeping reported. They'd send someone. An hour and a half layer....we're waiting still...and wanting to go to bed. Had to remind front desk of the promise to fix the toilet. He splashed water while fixing the toilet and asked if that was ok or if he needed to send someone to clean it up. ::sigh:: I really wanted to like my stay. I found the place very unprofessional.
Also...don't count on hot coffee or quiet rooms. The continental breakfast is coffee and rolls and the coffee was cold...both days. Noisy neighbors weren't helped by thin walls and doors.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank janette111
Reviewed November 16, 2016

Cliff hotel is inexpensive for Manhattan, but is located far from most attractions. Also, it is in an OK working-class area, so fine dining is just not available in the neighborhood. The price reflects this; hundreds of dollars less per night than comparable hotels downtown. Room was bare, with minimally-acceptable bathroom and Spartan furnishings. My room was by the maid service area--noisy thru the night. Anyplace outside of Manhattan, this would be a poor value--low end motel quality for what you would pay for a mid-range hotel. But in Manhattan, it is an average value. But the bed was OK and the TV worked, and the staff was friendly. Parking is available across the street. Also, easy access to and from the George Washington Bridge.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Marcus M
Reviewed September 12, 2016 via mobile

Place looks ok, smells like ciggs too expensive for room size, phones inside dont work room was dusty, felt like a motel but with hotel prices didnt like nothing about this place. I sont reccomend this spot to no one. They need to step it up!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David R
Reviewed March 2, 2016

Don't think it won't happen to you because that's what I thought...I made a reservation at this place 4 weeks before I needed to stay there to take the NY Bar Exam. You know, that exam you take for 8 hours each day on two back-to-back days to become a licensed lawyer. It's sort of an important test and it's only administered twice a year. But I digress. I had a reservation for Monday night and Tuesday night and I called to confirm the reservation the Friday before. The gentleman I spoke to was quite nice and informed me that my reservation was confirmed and I was all set. I asked him if I was to leave a deposit amount to ensure the reservation and he said no, that he confirmed the reservation and I was all set. I read on here that a few people had shown up to be notified the hotel was booked, so I called again Sunday afternoon to be sure. I didn't want to run the risk of showing up to no hotel room for what would be the culmination of three years of law school and hundreds of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours of study. Makes sense, no? Again I spoke to a very nice fellow who confirmed that I would be checking in Monday night. I said that I would be arriving after 5pm and asked if that would be a problem. Again, I was told my reservation was confirmed and it was no problem. I think you see where this is going so I'll move to the point. I arrived at 8:30pm and was told that I had no room. They were all booked up with "bar exam reservations." "What? I am the bar exam reservation. That's me. I'm here for the bar." But that's not the best part. Then, they charged my credit card for the FULL amount of the reservation (to a tune of almost $500) stating that I was a no-show. I've put a word in with the booking agency I used to make the reservation. If they don't fix it with the hotel, the hotel will be hearing from my attorneys. I'll let you all know how it shakes out but for now, save yourself some grey hairs and your money. There's a great hotel at 77th and Broadway called NYLO and they'll fix you up nice, they have a bar and an attached Italian restaurant, and they're not complete schmucks.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
26  Thank Aidan S
Reviewed February 20, 2016 via mobile

came here for a weekend trip to concert. checked in super fast & the front dest staff was so nice, upgraded us to a balcony room free of charge! Our uber dissed us & hotel offered us a free ride to our concert! Nice people, clean rooms - very modern and upgraded . Def looking to return and recommend to any young crowd looking to stay in the city and having a great time .

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends