“Hip Japanese”
Review of O Ya

O Ya
Reserve with OpenTable
O Ya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,659 of 15,868 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: NoMad
Neighbourhood: NoMad
Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

I want to describe this place as a Japanese Tapas Bar. Great cocktails, fantastic dishes. The Sea Urchion with Truffles was to die for. A potatoes nigiri? Very different.
Mochi donuts, ufff , I had to repeat.
Expensive but a really good option to enjoy Japanese Delights with a really hip ambiance.

Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

This is really one of my favorite places to have sushi in the entire city. The grand tasting consist of 24 courses of well curated individual servings ranging from Yellow Fin Belly to Squid Ink Foam. And absolutely fantastic treat for those who love sushi, or for those who just enjoying adventure. Be careful though, I recently came here with a group of five business colleagues, and the five of us ran up a $2000 bill. I can’t say that’s the norm, but the sushi here can be a bit pricey.

Reviewed August 30, 2018

The tasting menu was perfection. The attention to detail in each and every dish was nothing short of extraordinary. Inventive, unique, and flawless.

Amazing service as well. My waiter was outstanding and paired a variety of sakes and sojus with my tasting menu that was extra special.

Worth every penny.

And yeah, its expensive. They don't hide the prices, so don't let the review from TravelingTexan 11 fool you. They knew what they were getting into when they arrived and they could have left after looking at the menu. Relying on the advice of the hotel without doing your own research or without having some sort of discretion after arriving and looking at the menu is just senseless and amateur.

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

This is the best Japanese food place that I have been in a long time. I was not expecting it to be as good as it was, but it defied my expectations for sure. I entered the place and saw the beautiful decor looking back at me. The people working there all had smiles on their faces as did the people eating there. The people there were all very polite and the positive feelings I got in this place were really interesting to me. I hope to come back here again so that I can enjoy the amazing food as well as the amazing atmosphere. I know that my loved one liked it as well. It is something I will remember the rest of my life.

Reviewed June 25, 2018 via mobile

My husband and daughter and I went to O Ya because it was recommended by the host at our hotel and we were looking for good sushi. Our first warning should have been that, when I tried to make reservations on OpenTable, we were required to give a credit card and were told that if we canceled within 24 hours, we would be charged $100 PER PERSON (I’m not exaggerating). We didn’t do that and took our chances and had no problem getting a table, so if you go here for dinner, don’t fall for the reservation scam.

The staff was nice. It was a cool, hip place with a very interesting menu but we didn’t know what half of it was. The omakasse (sp?) tasting was 18 pieces of sushi for $185 each, which we thought was crazy. So, we ordered a few things we could recognize off the menu à la carte.

The food we did get was very tasty and we liked it, but none of us could get past the teeny portions of food or outrageous prices, so it ruined the whole experience. And we are not tight-wads when it comes to eating out. We paid $33 for 3 tiny pieces of tuna sashimi! The rolls were anywhere from $16 to $52 for 2 tiny pieces. We spent almost $300 and left disappointed and hungry.

Don’t waste your time or money. I’m sure there are plenty of other NYC places with good sushi, and more of it.

1  Thank TravelingTexans_11