“We won't stay here again”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #96 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 February 2012

If I hadn't won this room on Priceline for $110, I would be mad. It is not a 4* in our opinion. Honestly, because they are listed as a 4* in the Empire State Building area, I will not list that area as an option next time I bid on a room in NYC. Which is sad because there are other hotels in the area I would like to try to bid on. Hopefully Priceline will knock them down to where they should be.
The good was the bathroom & location of hotel. Good size bathroom and heated towel bar. Actual vanity not just a pedastal sink. Beds were comfortable enough. The walls are paper thin. You could hear toilets flush in other rooms, hear people talking, etc. Dark rooms. No coffee, just tea. They actually have smoking floors, which I guess might be a plus for some. Just not worth it. We didn't even take pictures of the room and we always do.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank vitaminc28
Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel isn't my favorite in NYC, but has a convenient location and reasonable prices. however, on my recent stay, the climate control on my room didn't work properly and the room was quite warm. Secondly, there's no on-premise gym, and the nearest one is over three blocks away. Lastly, there's no ammenities store on-site with water, etc. to purchase.

These are for me material drawbacks versus other hotels in the same price range. I'd go elsewhere next time.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ivychicago
Reviewed 25 February 2012

a very nice stay at the Kitano in NYC. On Park Avenue, about 4 blocks south of Grand Central Station and close to the Empire State Building/United Nations, this is a good value. Simple, clean accomodations, not too pricey (by NY standards), quiet rooms. This is a good choice if you're staying midtown on the east side. Downside is a $10 per 15 minute charge to use the business center (really?) and having to walk 4 blocks to use the gym

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve N
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is ur favorite NYC hotel. We've stayed a number of times, but hadn't been here for several years. When we arrived, the reservationist upgraded us to a suite. The room (on a high floor) was enormous, and the amenities were impeccable.

We also took in a show in their jazz bar, the most intimate jazz club in the city. This gem is walking distance from Grand Central Terminal.

Room Tip: This is Summit hotel, so their standards are quite high. Rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Had a great four day stay at the Kitano in NYC. The rooms were large, comfortable, and quiet. Fairly good location near shopping on Fifth Avenue and walkable to the MOMA. Easy to catch cabs.

Will note that we also had heating issues - the first night the heater was blowing hot air in the room constantly, making it hard to sleep. We tried adjusting the thermostat with no luck. We went down to the desk and asked about it the next day. The opened our windows for us (in February!) to cool off the room and did something so that once the temperature cooled off we didn't have any more problems.

We got a very good deal via priceline and, for the same price, would stay there again. I'm not sure we would pay rack rate. Overall we enjoyed our visit and the room was a peaceful island in the city.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This is a nice, quiet, well-located Japanese-run hotel in Manhattan. The rooms are small, yes, but the beds are very comfortable and the room and bathroom were very clean.
Beware: the beds are either King size or Full. If you are used to sharing a Queen size bed with your travel mate, then you should know these beds are Full/Double and NOT Queen! We switched to a King size room for that reason.

Room Tip: Rooms 10, 11, 12 on each floor face the Empire State Building, which is nice if it's your first...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Room: Everything in the room was as nice and comfortable as all the reviewers have noted except for one thing: The heater seemed to be always on regardless of what the setting was on the thermostat, I had it even at the lowest setting (55 degrees F?) and it was still blowing out hot air, I ended up turning the whole thing off as it was getting too warm in the room and the window could not be opened to let fresh air in. Other than that, the room was adequately furnished and I appreciated having drawers available to put my clothes in. Just curious, Is it a disappearing amenity in hotels these days to have storage drawers for guests?

Wi-Fi: $15 per 24 hours.

From JFK: Many ways to get to Manhattan, I took air-train to Jamaica Center to catch the E-train, made a transfer at Lexington/53rd to a downtown 6 train and got off at Grand Central/42nd St. Hotel is 4 blocks south on 38th & Park.

Others: 1)Interesting that the room has a fancy hot water dispenser (for tea), my opinion is that if they have to provide you with pictorial instruction to operate the unit (to get hot water into a cup), it has been over-engineered and not worth having. I was not able to follow the instruction to operate the unit (the model shown in the picture was different than the one in the room), I got it to work by trial and error, there were 5 or 6 buttons on it, the trick was to hold two of the buttons simultaneously to get the hot water out, 2) There is no self service in the lobby to print your boarding pass. You go to a concierge and request one and there can be a short line, she would log in to your airline account on your behalf (extending her keyboard for you to type in your password) and then print out the boarding pass. It felt a little uneasy to trust that she would log out of your account before she took care of another guest.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo