“A pleasant stay”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #108 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I stayed here April 18-23 and I found the hotel to be very nice and accomodating. Unfortunately I thought the price of the water in the room was extremely expensive even for New York prices. $5.00 a bottle was pretty steep. Also the fridge was filled with items that were all very costly and over-priced. My thinking is that somethings could have at least been complimentary since the room was so expensive. I am planning another trip to New York next year but won't be staying there. Nice place but really not worth all the money.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank bann2u
Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed 29 April 2012

I know it is in NY, but this is a very mediocre hotel. No one smiled. Not the bellman, not the front desk. No one seemed, in any way, happy to see a guest. The room size was normal by NY standards. The room did reek of cigarettes, even though we were told it was non smoking. The location is OK, Midtown very close to Grand Central. It was approx $400 per night. I would not stay here again. I was never given a reason to do so.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank wdh528
ClementCarey, General Manager at Kitano New York, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

I am sincerely sorry that your stay at The Kitano was disappointing. I apologize that the staff you encountered were not warm and hospitable. I am proud of the great job our employees usually perform and regret that you did not see them shine.

While we offer smoking rooms on two floors, we take great care that both these rooms and our non-smoking rooms (the great majority of the hotel) are absolutely clean. I fully understand how any off odors could ruin a hotel stay.

On your next trip to NYC, I would like to offer you a upgrade to suite accommodations at the regular room rate. If you would contact me directly, I would be glad to amend your guest profile to reflect this offer.

Clement Carey
ccarey@kitano.com

Reviewed 27 April 2012

If you would like a " lovely place to stay" when you are in New York. "close to the buzz but in a quiet sophisticated street" then you could do a lot worse than book your holiday stay here.

Staff- Very respectful , they honoured my special room request which was very nice of them

Room:- very comfortable, tastefully decorated, clean and spacious, what more could you want

Location:- Superb near the tube ( subway) sorry ! quiet, very near Central Station.

In summary this hotel is very very good indeed .

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We were struck by how quiet the hotel was (triple glazing in all the windows.) NIce to come back to somewhere calm and restful after walking round the city all day. Well located in Midtown. Very helpful staff - when we asked to use the business centre the concierge printed our boarding passes for us without charge. Authentic Japanese restaurant which could have been daunting, but the staff were very helpful with the menu. Breakfast buffet offered lots of choice but was quite expensive - but there are plenty of alternatives nearby.

Room Tip: Worth asking for a room overlooking Park Avenue for the view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We booked through Hotwire, so we didn't know where we were staying until after we paid, but honestly have no complaints.
The hotel is near enough to Times Square that we could walk to and from the theatre (Newsies was AWESOME), but far enough that it's quiet and safe. We walked to the High Line, too, but ended up cabbing back from SoHo.
The hotel is clean, comfortable and basically everything one would expect from a hotel. We actually wanted to spend more time in the room, as the bed was so soft, but had to get up early to catch our bus.
No complaints!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I spent two nights at this Japanese boutique hotel with my nine year old daughter and we had a lovely stay. The room was on the small side, but in true Japanese style, was very efficient and immaculate. Plus, we had a lovely view of Park Avenue. The hotel charges a fee to use the business office, and the printer wouldn't work (I wanted to print our boarding passes). They only charged me the "base rate of $8, which was de minimus in relation to the cost the weekend, but and I felt nickel-and-dimed. Overall, the staff was excellent, but the front dest clerks on Sunday morning were unfriendly and rather grumpy, which was unfortunate after such an excellent weekend and it's always nice to leave on a happy note. Despite the grumpy desk clerks, I would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room facing Park Avenue.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The Kitano is a very professionally run, clean, well maintained, spacious hotel. The staff are helpful, the location is great, within easy walking distance of everwhere in midtown. As such there is nothing really bad to say about the hotel. I guess, just on a personal level it didnt leave me with the kind of energy that NYC itself does, a difficult thing for a hotel you might think but it can be done. However if youre looking for a well priced well located hotel you wont be disappointed

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple