“last four days of our holiday”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #355 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 24 September 2017

excellent place. staff very friendly, helpful and so nice. breakfast was good. bar and evening meals excellent. bar staff chatted as though we were long lost friends. excellent location. walked everywhere within 10 blocks. highly recommend

Room Tip: third floor room ideal
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
VanessaWatsonHotel, Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear lynncadivsor68,
Thank you for taking your time to post this great review about your stay at The Watson Hotel. We are glad that you overall stay went perfect and your view was excellent. We hope the next time you are in New York City you stay with us.
Best Regards,
Michael Melendez
Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,499)

Reviewed 22 September 2017

We stopped off at the Skylight (yes, it has a skylight there) to play Buzztime Trivia. The bar staff was TOTALLY ENTHUSIASTIC that we stopped by to play a few games. The bar manager (Jocelyn, I believe) even took a picture of us playing the games.
We didn't book a room - this was a stop on our way home, but I would highly consider the Watson for my next stay. It is convenient, staff is great, and it is close to the Columbus Circle subway station.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Dear gv6955,
Thank you for your great review. Great to hear our staff was accommodating towards you as we strive to provide the best service possible when guest are staying with us. Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.
Michael Melendez

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. Staff were nice, bar was relaxing, enjoyed use of the pool. Found the rooms clean and comfortable. Would recommend and would stay again. Wouldn't have the buffet breakfast again though, found it to be expensive as it wasn't that different to complimentary breakfasts supplied at the other hotels.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa C
VanessaWatsonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Hi Lisa C,
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our buffet is nice but there are soooo many different choices of restaurant nearby to choose from.
We look forward to your return visit.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This hotel was terrible. I have never had a worse hotel experience. Our room was absolutely disgusting and my daughter was scalded by the shower. The shower water would come out warm and then out of nowhere turn scalding hot and then go back to warm. Her back hurt her for 2 days and they would do nothing for us to make this right. Will never go back and suggest that others do the same.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Kate S
VanessaWatsonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Hello Kate S,
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am sorry to read of your experience. As I stated in the email you sent me when you asked for compensation.... you never reported having any issues in the room until a few days AFTER you checked out. If you would have reported it immediately, we could have offered medical help to your daughter and we would have fixed the issue in the shower that caused it to change water temperature as you described but we were never given the opportunity to make things right. If something so serious happened as you stated, where your child was hurt, then we should have been notified immediately not a few days after you checked out.
Regards,

Reviewed 19 September 2017

I have stayed at this hotel 3-4 times when it was the holiday inn and always been pleased. Hate reading the recent reviews, as I have referred it to friends. It is in a quiet neighborhood, large rooms, nice bar and restaurant area and felt safe enough to let my granddaughter go to the gift shop or lobby alone - not so in times square - Hope the new owners will take the reviews seriously and update/clean up - hate to not have this option any more - I have not been here since 2015 tho

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family

Hi Shannon B,
Thank you for sharing your concerns. While some reviews are disappointing, thankfully the majority are good. We do try to please everyone but that is an impossible task. Unless you are willing to give everything for free to some people, they will not be happy and will come here to vent their dissatisfaction. We will continue to strive for improvement. We hope you will continue to visit and judge for yourself.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Yesterday after 14 hours of flight I was so looking forward to rest, I checked in smoothly and while unpacking my luggage almost had the heart attack as the mouse run out under the bed and almost bumped into my feet. I was really shocked and went down to the reception, so far no one came to the room and they offered only "1 free breakfast and to move to another room", however I could not relax and stay in this hotel as I felt so disgusting of that mouse and requested booking.com team to refund the rest amount and let me check out today but hotel management said as that it is already 11 am they gonna charge for two nights!!! Surprisingly, hotel management did not apologise and charged us way more for two nights that it supposed to be!!! I do believe that in such cases the hotel should let us go.

In a general the hotel looks very different from the photos, after showering water stayed for a few hours (photo attached) the carpet and room itself are so dusty, corners in the room are dirty, the furniture is very tired, the AC/radiator is very very loud and so dirty inside so it feels like you are sitting on a plane close to the engine, bedsheets are quiet greyish, breakfast is very poor and not tasty at all. If you are still willing to stay I would really advice to bring sleepers.

Definitely will not come back and wouldn't recommend to anyone!!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank DanaraImangali
VanessaWatsonHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

DanaraImangali,

We appreciate the time you took to leave us a review. We sincerely apologize for any issues that occurred during your stay. I will make sure to share your comments with the appropriate department so that this can be corrected. We are working diligently to correct these issues, we apologize. Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,
Rebecca Roldan

Reviewed 18 September 2017

It's clear what happened here: this used to be a branded Holiday Inn, but instead of renovating the property to bring it up to Holiday Inn standards, the cheap owner chose to "go independent" so he/she wouldn't have to make major repairs. Staff at check-in are friendly and efficient. Rooms appear clean, and the linens are OK (although my sheets had a few stains), but the air quality is filthy. The ventilation shaft in the bathroom is full of black gunk and foam, which exhausts from the shaft and lands on the clean towels, floor and toilet paper. I've lived in older apartment buildings, and this kind of black filth coming out of a bathroom or kitchen vent results from a lazy/cheap owner not cleaning the ducts...for decades. The HVAC unit is similarly filthy, original to the building, and I can see why it would not necessarily cool the room properly on a hot August day. My 16th floor room had a nice view and the elevators, although old and in very poor appearance, worked fine. WiFi is appalling, less than 1 mbps, which means this can't be treated as a serious hotel for business travelers, but is probably OK for tourists. My room on the 16th floor had a nice view of midtown Manhattan and the rooftop pool. It's sad that the owner won't make a few minor repairs to keep the building in good condition -- he/she can cheap out only for so long; the reviews will only get worse. I pity the manager who must deal with such a short-sighted hotel owner, unwilling to invest in basic maintenance and repairs.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank travelwiz13

Travelwiz13,

We appreciate the time you took to leave us a review. We apologize for any issues you encountered during your stay. We will continue to work hard and improve, however we are happy staff delivered the friendly service you deserve. We hope to see you again.

Rebecca Roldan