“BAD EXPERINCE”

Ranked #303 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
“BAD EXPERINCE”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Horrible service, no wifi working on all my stay, dirty and old ann bad decoration. no closet enough.The restaurant too noisy anmd took j¡hours for the food to come. No people at the front desk. the looby and the entrance of the hotel full of people drinking or smoking. not a hotel to go!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Marcelo L
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Marcelo L

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at 6 Columbus. Unfortunately, for the first time ever, we must disagree with your statement and complaints.
Our utmost intention is for all of our guests to have a comfortable and enjoyable stay, and i assure you that we went above and beyond in order to provide this to you. For your own privacy, we will not disclose details on this platform; however should you wish to discuss anything further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
It is a shame that you are improperly using this platform to make up false issues as Trip Advisor is supposed to be a place where our guests feel comfortable offering their honest feedback and experience so as to benefit others.

Ralph Renz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I travel to NYC on business at least 2 times a month and have stayed in numerous hotels all over the city. After staying at the Columbus 6 I will no longer stay anywhere else. From the extremely good location (on Columbus Circle with best Subway access in the city and Whole Foods across the street), incredibly large and clean rooms, and almost overly polite staff, there is no better value in the all of Manhattan. Also, the restaurant in the lobby, Blue Ribbon, has arguably the best Sushi in the city.

I recommend this spot to anyone visiting NYC on business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Rooms on West side have view of Central Park.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear 64Br_B

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to write this review.
I am glad you found a home away from home at 6 Columbus and enjoyed your stay with us.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly in case i can be of any assistance to you.

Kind regards

6 Columbus
Philadelphia
Reviewed 6 February 2012

First, you should know that they gave me an upgrade to a king studio (from queen superior), so obviusly we enjoyed the room! The hotel is in a stark 1960s style with great tile bathrooms. The location behind the Time Warner complex provides access to Carnegie, Lincoln Center, Broadway, and to Per Se and Jean Georges (or to the pre theater $30 something special at Nougatine), as well as Central Park. The staff are really special. Coming back to the room with two cups of coffee from next door Starbucks, the doorman follows me to use his key (the elevator requires room key to operate) because my hands were full! At check out as we come down with suitcases, bell captain approachs and asks if we want storage, has it arranged instantly. As we leave, a very pleasant housekeeper immediately straightens up our room after a pleasant greeting. Great place to stay in NYC!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Travelerofworld

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will most certainly pass along your kind words to our staff.

We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Please contact me directly in case i can be of assistance to you

Kind regards

6 Columbus
Montreal
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Let's start with the good:
- I liked the 60's airport theme that is going on inside,
- It's cool that the sushi bar is tied to the hotel from the reception area,
- The hotel is very well located (that is if you're a midtown/uptown sort of a person),
- Prices were reasonable for the location
- Problem-less house-keeping; timely papers in the morning

Moving on to the dark side:
- I had to arrive at 7AM in the morning, and I only got my room by 3PM, the regular check-in time; nothing off the books there, but they could have tried a bit more to accommodate me...
- The 'complimentary upgrades' that are being referred to in all those reviews is either a lot of very lucky guests, or a smell of self-promoting reviews... (I hope that's not the case and that I'm sensing wrong) I would assume so, because I didn't get one, and I had to wait 8 hours for the check-in and it was my birthday, and they knew it from an email exchange.
- The room was cold in appearance and mood (lack of carpeting plays a big role in this)
- It looked right into an old residential building just a few feet away; got no sunshine and I had to keep the curtains covered at all times in order not to be face-to-face with the other building anyways...
- You could hear absolutely everything from the rooms on either sides, as well as any little sound on the corridor
- No complimentary Wi-Fi anywhere in the hotel?! What century is this in?
- There was a permanent smell of manure on the corridor of our floor

Overall, I guess it was OK... Would I stay there again; not if it will replicate the first experience.

Room Tip: Beware of the rooms that look in the back, facing a residential building that is only a few feet awa...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank bayimc
Mosman Park
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed in a King suite ( couple with 18 year old son) for a week in early January 2012. We asked for a nice room and we had a great view over to the Time-Warner building, so we could see how the day was shaping up weather wise and just look at all the street life. The room was really quiet.
My son was happy as on the sofa bed in the living room with his own TV.
All the staff were amazingly nice and the concierge got us NFL play-off tickets at short notice which was hugely appreciated.
We love the vibe of small boutique hotels. You feel like you are coming home.
The bar is great and the sushi restaurant is brilliant in the hotel.
The location is fantastic. My husband would go running in Central Park. The subway is 100m away. The Whole Foods shop in the Time Warner is brilliant to have across the road. That whole place is great actually with brilliant restaurants.
The hotel has a great terrace for drinks with fab views.
The only downer is the $15 for wi-fi every day.We all have iPads and computers and to log in all would have been a waste but we love our own devices!
We had loads of luggage because we were travelling with all our snowboard gear and we had plenty of space. We got a great room rate by booking on-line and loved staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: I guess if you want space in this hotel, get a bigger room. Our room overlooking the street was nice...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Freofan,

Thank you for your feedback! I am very pleased to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable stay. You need not worry about multiple wi-fi charges as we charge $15 per 24 hours but not per device so you may connect as many devices as you please. Hopefully we will see you all again this Spring (I think Central Park is the most beautiful during this time for running).

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Very disappointing experience overall. I have stayed at other Thompson hotels and this was a total surprise at how poor the quality was. The lobby is shabby and tiny, as are the rooms. The customer service is awful, and that was one half of the problem. The main issue was that it was EXTREMELY loud in the hallway next to my room (43) beginning early in the morning. I got no sleep. Finally I called down at 9 am to ask for earplugs. I mentioned the issue for a second time during checkout and was given absolutely no recourse or reason to come back. The girl said a flippant 'sorry!' and turned away. Absolutely surprising and terrible. I have spent a huge amount of money on events, parties, celebrations and nights out at Thompson properties and do not plan to return after this experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Global_Nomadista
Ralph R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Global_Nomadista

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please rest assured that guest satisfaction is our highest priorityl at 6 Columbus. The room you reserved was our standard POD room at 175 square feet and upon check in we upgraded you two categories to our Queen Deluxe room (250 square feet).
Being a Metropolitain city it happens that some guests are checking out early in the morning causing noise in the hallways. In the future please let us know immediately when your sleep is disturbed so we can take action and speak to your neighboring guests to rectify this situation immediately.
We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the near future. Please feel free to call me directly in case i can be of any assistance to you

NY
Reviewed 18 January 2012

On one of the coldest days of the year, a little boxwood in a tall black planter shivers in the wind outside of the lobby of 6 Columbus. Tufted leather banquettes sparsely populated with bursts of bright pillows afford a bit of seating while I wait for my room to be ready. Two complaints of rooms with no heat have already been lodged at the front desk, and as the wind whips by the window this doesn’t seem to bode well.

The lobby, fronted by two very friendly door-men, is a balance of light and dark – coolly modern in style, like the rest of the hotel, but warmed by the staff. A sushi restaurant (Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill) is set off to the side, affording a tantalizing glimpse of a light wooden bar.

While Columbus Circle is not usually an area in which I’d stay while visiting New York, an online special ($140 a night, before taxes) lured me to 6 Columbus, and I’d heard good things about the parent company that runs it (Thompson Hotels).

A slightly dim elevator and hallway, the textured navy blue walls and dark floors eating up much of the light, lead to room #77. Like most New York accommodations, the pod rooms here are on the slightly smaller side of things (175 square feet), so it might be worth it to upgrade to a larger one if possible.

The bathroom is more ample, backed by glossy navy tiles and brightly polished Waterworks fixtures. Bolstered by Kiehl’s hair products and white fluffy towels, it is a modern, elegant space, even if an over-hyped Frette bathrobe errs on the side of starchy rather than soft.

Above the bed is a large Guy Bourdin print, echoing the proclaimed“60’s modernist” inspiration point for the hotel. The bed itself is comfortable, but not laid out with any top sheets – only a duvet. I’m neither picky nor grossed out about such things, and, as long as the heat was working, didn’t have need for extra bedding.

A word about the heat: despite my concerns upon hearing the complaints of other patrons, the heat in my room worked just fine – but it didn’t make it into the bathroom, which was a great deal cooler (not the ideal situation for January). I had to overcompensate in the bedroom to warm the tiled space, but it was nothing a hot shower didn’t fix.

On a Sunday night, the room remains pleasingly quiet, affording an uninterrupted evening of sleep. The next morning, as I make my way to the elevator, the unmistakable odor of pot hangs lightly in the air, while knocks and calls of “housekeeping” go unanswered. Another average day in New York has begun.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Alan I
Dear Alanllagan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such an eloquent description of our hotel and services. I am sorry to hear that the bathroom was not warm like the bedroom during your stay. We do recall the guests on your floor who unfortunately chose to smoke in their room, but we are glad that this issue was resolved by the Manager immediately. We really do pride ourselves on providing friendly and anticipatory guest service, and I am glad to hear that my team made you feel welcomed and comfortable. We hope that despite the issues you experienced that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to 6 Columbus.